Go Back   The Ford Barn > The Archives > Late V8

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-01-1970, 12:00 AM   #1

Default powerstering

I want to put powerstering on my 55ford ! I want to keep the interior orignial . What do I need ????

<table><tr><td><font face="arial">

Old 01-01-1970, 12:00 AM   #2

Default Re: powerstering

To get started check E-Bay auction #1859942009 in the 55/56 Ford catagory. The auction includes a 56 Masterguide horn ring which won't work on your 55 but you could resell the horn ring or trade it for a pump and brackets which are not included in the auction. Good luck!

Mike Hertel

Old 01-01-1970, 12:00 AM   #3

If you aren't concerned with originality, you can adapt by using something like a Mustang control valve and power ram etc. Or even an integral box from a later car; this would mean cutting your column though. Good Luck!

Old 01-01-1970, 12:00 AM   #4

Grady....there are a couple of things you could do.....the first and most obvious, would be to track down a complete power steering set-up from a Ford that had power steering and install that...what I did, was install an intregal power steering box from a mid 70s full size Ford passenger car...I cut my steering column at the firewall (motor side) and installed a borgenson u-joint on the end of my column that also fit the Ford gearbox...viola!...stock appearing steering column with late model steering effort....the frame needed mounts made to adapt the box to it...and I'm sure I had to modify my steering arm or link...also requires pump and brackets, hoses, etc...

another approach would be aftermarket suppliers who may have a conversion kit for your car...D & S in Calf and Gearheads in North Dakota come to mind..good luck

Old 01-01-1970, 12:00 AM   #5

I saw a 1956 ford in Minn. this summer

that had a ps box from a toyota 4x4 !!!!

I don't know what year but it looked

original like it came with the car !!!

Jack