Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-07-2010, 07:59 AM   #1
30ccpickup

Default Tool Box in Pickup

I picked up this box and rack for $25.00. I would like to mount the box in the back of my pickup. Every idea I have involves drilling a hole in it, before I do this, I want to make sure I am not ruining something I shouldn’t. If someone has a mounting idea please share.

Paul
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Tool Box For Pickup.jpg (18.2 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg truck box.jpg (146.5 KB, 37 views)

Fordbarners, Feel free to use the pictures on my site to answer questions and create tutorials/tech articles.
30ccpickup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 08:15 AM   #2
1931 flamingo

Default Re: Tool Box in Pickup

The expandable "gate" mounts on the running board. Can't tell dimensions from picture, will box fit on running board behind door and in front of rear fender? Could install a plate to bottom of box and use the bed strip bolts to mount other end of plate (strap), if doable this would eliminate need for any new holes. FWIW
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 10:32 AM   #3
FL&WVMIKE

30ccpickup .........................
I would not worry too much about drilling mounting holes in that tool box. You are not dealing with some rare FORD part. Without mounting holes, it just might slide around and receive more damage. Holes can always be plugged, if need be.
MIKE
FL&WVMIKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 11:07 AM   #4
MikeK

Let me get this straight.. You are concerned about drilling the tool box, not the bed, correct?

If so, make a nice oak plank base slightly larger than the box with a molding ridge to fit the base. Cut two rabbits, each about 2" wide by 3/8" deep, near the left & right underside of the base. The rabbits are to clear leather or canvas straps to hold the trunk down. Carriage bolt the base to the pickup bed wood. You can now strap the tool box down, or remove it easily. NO HOLES in the tool box or any Ford metal.
MikeK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 11:50 AM   #5
Jim Brierley

I have a rubber mat in the bed of my '31, cut down from a Pep Brothers mat for some foreign pickup. I have an old wood Quaker State motor oil case with a home made lid hinged on it. I just sits quietly in the back of the truck and has never moved. I put felt pads on the back of the lid which keeps it closed when the box is pushed forward against the front of the bed. The box must be moved back an inch or so each time I open it but is not inconvenient. No drilling required!
Jim Brierley is offline   Reply With Quote