Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-14-2012, 06:46 AM   #21
CountrySquire55

Default Re: Squealing Brakes

I just finished the brake rebuild on my 31 Town Sedan and used woven, riveted linings (linings from Brattons; I riveted the linings onto the shoes myself) and cast iron drums front and rear (also from Brattons). No squealing at all and the car stops better than ever. Very pleased with the results.
CountrySquire55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 09:31 AM   #22
Tom Wesenberg

Check the Service Bulletins. I think that's where I read about Ford using the new composite lining before the end of Model A production. I don't recall if it was for hard use cars, like a Taxi, or if it was used on all A's after it's introduction.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 10:22 AM   #23
Earle

'Getting confused here (not hard to do) - when you guys say "composite" are you referring to the woven lining with the "metallic fibers" in it or the molded solid-looking material that's usually bonded to the shoe?

And is the "soft woven" material that Juke Joint Johnny mentioned different from either of the above?? Because the fabric/woven-looking material (looks like asbestos) that's on my shoes is as hard as a rock - anything but "soft". (I know "soft" is a relative term.).

Thanks....
Earle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 10:27 AM   #24
1931 flamingo

Have you contacted Schwalm"s???
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 10:32 AM   #25
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earle View Post
'Getting confused here (not hard to do) - when you guys say "composite" are you referring to the woven lining with the "metallic fibers" in it or the molded solid-looking material that's usually bonded to the shoe?

And is the "soft woven" material that Juke Joint Johnny mentioned different from either of the above?? Because the fabric/woven-looking material (looks like asbestos) that's on my shoes is as hard as a rock - anything but "soft". (I know "soft" is a relative term.).

Thanks....
Composite would be the hard solid lining, not the woven.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 11:39 AM   #26
Purdy Swoft

I've used both woven and the light gray bonded lining. Either lining will squeal under certain conditions. I'm with Paul, the lining should not be shiney. A glazed shiney surface indicates that the drum has been slipping excessively over the lining and causeing the squeal.

When the squeal returns, try backing off on the brake adjustment. The lining is probably engageing with the drum too quickly without the correct leverage. The front brake levers need to pull THROUGH an arc to have the proper leverage. if the fro nt brakes are adjusted too tightly, they will run out of leverage before it can push the shoes tightly enough against the drums to prevent slipping and squealing. This works pretty good for me. With model A's there can be several contributing factors with any problem. just a thought.
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 03:26 PM   #27
Earle

Thanks, Gents. Good stuff. And I'll give Ora a call. In the past he has simply said that he has matched the correct lining material for the cast iron drums per his usual brake jobs and that all Model A brakes make noise at one time or another. I'll see what he says about the hardened shiny lining surfaces...
Earle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 03:43 PM   #28
darrylkmc

To clarify, the second photo in post #18 ctlikon0712, this is a photo of some of my cast iron drums. Although the 5 spoke fronts are original, the two rear drums in the foreground are Plasmeter Brand drums.

I attached some photos of an original Model A Cast Iron Rear Drum without the hub installed. You will notice a raised band just outside the stud mounting holes of the Original Cast Iron Drums, replacement drums that I have seen do not have this raised area and are the same thickness across the face of the drum.

In my photo albums there are more photos of Original Cast Iron Drums, also Vince Falter's site fordgarage.com has great information, including Cast Drums.

Darryl in Fairbanks

Last edited by darrylkmc; 05-14-2012 at 04:11 PM.
darrylkmc is offline   Reply With Quote