Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-07-2012, 09:01 PM   #1
Earle

Default Squealing brakes "fixed"

While I had the drums off for the annual cleaning and inspection of the brakes, I figured what-the-heck and used a stiff wire brush on the surfaces of the linings. Then vacuumed thoroughly. I guess a similar effect to sanding the surfaces that someone mentioned elsewhere here.

It took away the hardened, "polished" appearance of the surfaces and roughed them up a bit.

Brake squealing is all gone. - until the lining surfaces get "burnished" again from use. We'll see how long that takes.
Earle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 09:17 PM   #2
Modelakid31

Send a message via AIM to Modelakid31
Default Re: Squealing brakes "fixed"

are they the molded linings or the wolven linings?
Modelakid31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 09:21 PM   #3
BILL WILLIAMSON

Goood evening, Earle,
I've not seen Ford Barners mention this, but over the years I've helped eliminate squeeking on both drum & disc brakes by applying Lubriplate with an acid brush to any metal to metal contact area in the brake assy. I feel that harmonics are always there and a dry metal to metal area just gives them a place to sound off, kinda' like a " musical" instrument. Lubriplate won't melt off and run onto braking surfaces. Bill W's Ghost. (I'm not really a Ghost)
Old 02-07-2012, 10:38 PM   #4
Tom Wesenberg

I also use high temp grease to lube any moving parts, such as brake pins and contact areas.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 10:36 AM   #5
Earle

Thanks, Bill. I might give that a try.

Modelakid31: My brake linings are the "woven"* type that are riveted to the shoes. I didn't get a choice of lining materials when I had Schwalms rebuild my brakes during my restoration several years ago. That's what Ora uses and I trust his judgment in using the best materials, parts and procedures.

But I'll bet there could be an extended "discussion" here on "Molded vs. woven" - "riveted vs. non-riveted", etc., etc.

* With brake linings there is quite a list of terminology: - woven - molded - riveted - bonded - etc. I'm using the term "woven" for my linings because I can see tiny, shiny, brass-looking fibers distributed throughout the lining material. It always bothered me that they would intentionally put metallic fibers in a brake lining to rub against my nice, smooth drum braking surface. But the metal fibers are obviously very "soft" compared to the cast iron drum material so no scratching or scoring occurs that I can see.

Curious - Why the metal fibers in the first place??
Old 02-08-2012, 11:47 AM   #6
Tom Wesenberg

The metal fibers carry away some of the heat.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 07:48 PM   #7
FlatheadTed

Send a message via AIM to FlatheadTed

The wire possibly adds some strength also .In my experience the woven lining ( bonded or riveted )with copper color wire does glaze up and get very squally, I use the Grey softer material this can be bonded and is very popular for model As . and have equal grip .

Flathead Ted brake Floaters ,
FlatheadTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 10:48 PM   #8
columbiA

During my apprenticeship in the early 60,s I did all the brake bonding for the lift-trucks,loaders,pick-ups etc whenever there was some slack time in the shop.A good fringe benefit of this was that I likely had the only 29 Essex,& model A with bonded linings at that time!
columbiA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 11:24 PM   #9
FlatheadTed

Bonding is the way to go ,Rivets are for do it your self ,the hand brake bands are normally riveted but I have had these bonded as well .With bonded you get more bang for your buck and you don't have rivet heads to deal with ,Its a question of getting the correct material .some harder types look the same and were often substituted in the 60s

Last edited by FlatheadTed; 02-09-2012 at 01:35 AM.
Old 02-08-2012, 11:41 PM   #10
azmodela
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earle View Post
While I had the drums off for the annual cleaning and inspection of the brakes
Wow, annual cleaning and inspection? How many miles do you put on the car and just what is your driving style?! I assume you subject your modern car to the same treatment?

I drive thousands of miles on mine each year and haven't checked out the brakes in years!
azmodela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 05:22 AM   #11
Earle

Hi, azmodela. I usually try to travel in-cognito but you blew my cover. I'm one of those paranoid mechanical engineers who just has to be tinkering with (and admiring) machines. And what better machine could there be to tinker with than the A?

It may be too frequent by some folks' standards (or by the A service manuals) but I want to see what's going on inside those drums after a season of driving. I just feel better getting all the dust blown/vacuumed out, inspect and rough up the linings, repack or re-distribute the squeezed-out grease in the bearings, etc. I was a pilot and I worked in the aircraft industry so maybe I'm applying aircraft service and maintenance standards to my relatively simple roadster - but I love doing it and feel better when I drive it.

It does make me feel better to hear experienced A owners repeat how tough and reliable these cars are and that they are perfectly happy with way less attention than I give her. But it's my in-the-blood hobby in my retirement. Besides, if I weren't out here in the garage, I'd be in the house as a prime target for honey-list stuff.

I drive the A about 500 - 1000 miles a year depending on the number and distances of tours, shows, ice-cream safaris with grandkids in the rumble, etc. "easy", gentle, paranoid driving style (max 45 mph). Isn't that the way all engineers care for their equipment!?

My modern car is in a trusted dealership's shop every time the scheduled service mileage rolls around per the maint. manuals. All my 4-wheeled friends pay me back with extremely reliable, zero-trouble, happy-driving miles. Is there any other way to own a car?
Old 02-09-2012, 10:21 AM   #12
azmodela
BANNED

Hi Earle,
I didn't mean to blow your cover! I work with engineers, so I understand the type very well.

The service interval of the A is a matter of preference for the owner I suppose. I would just rather spend more time driving them then under them. Believe me, I'd rather spend the time repairing and inspecting things in the comfort of my own garage, and not on the side of the road.
azmodela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 10:57 AM   #13
Earle

I get a lot of friendly ribbing over the "engineer" thing. But I often reply - Would you rather have and artist or an engineer piloting the 747 you're flying in or doing your heart-transplant surgery! "Free spirits" vs. "perfectionists"! And when folks want something done right with home heating, plumbing or electrical repair or car repair - or Model A restoration - etc., etc., who do they want working on it - the artist or the engineer? Right! - When it really matters, they all seek out the perfectionist.

Our "type" endure our share of joking but we're secure, happy and contented folks generally. - from over 35 years of working with them....

Hug an engineer this week!
Old 02-09-2012, 02:34 PM   #14
FlatheadTed

Heres a shot of the two lining types the Grey one is my preference it has a small silver fleck in it ,,the other is the copper colored wire type .These we have compared on a brake testing machine . The wheels of the A were rolled against a Resistance force (Hydraulics ) a bit like a dyno, both have similar grip .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1011009.jpg (114.8 KB, 37 views)

Last edited by FlatheadTed; 02-09-2012 at 02:44 PM.