Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-29-2011, 01:13 PM   #1
James77

Default Model A as a Daily Driver

Would any of you use your Model A's as a daily driver? I read about that 365 Days of A thing.......seems pretty cool!
James77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 01:27 PM   #2
shall

Default Re: Model A as a Daily Driver

I would if I worked closer to home or converted it for easier freeway/winter driving. Since neither of those is going to happen anytime soon it is only a weekly driver...and that will stop when they start salting the roads.
shall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 01:30 PM   #3
Patrick L.

It is on good warm dry days..
Patrick L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 01:33 PM   #4
Pete

I have used mine daily for chasing parts in the past when it had an engine in it. One year I drove it over 30K miles.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 01:36 PM   #5
400A-64

Years ago ( before I Retired) I drove my A to work every day. Surface streets ,no freeway, untill someone followed me home and I later found fenders missing from my side yard.
Bruce Davis [email protected]
400A-64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 01:53 PM   #6
J Franklin

In 1967 -70 my A was my daily (only) driver for Work, school, and play, freeways too. Now I am a bit nicer to it and take it out for nice weather excursions only.
J Franklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 02:11 PM   #7
BRENT in 10-uh-C

This may be a TOTALLY insane thought but, ....do you suppose people some 80 years ago had this same question whether they could use a Model A Ford as their daily driver? Do you think they would have been reliable enough? What do you suppose would have been the maximum distance they would have dared drive it to work? Do you suppose anyone ever considered driving 20-25 miles each way to work?

You know I am saying this tongue-in-cheek but it does beg the question why should this not be feasible? Generally speaking, I think we would all agree that we can go anywhere in a Model A that we can in a modern vehicle ....except maybe not as fast. In many instances that could be a good thing!!

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 02:17 PM   #8
CarlG

This past summer, I drove mine to work quite a bit. My intention is to use this as my work vehicle all the time, but I still have some "improvements" to make (like a heater) before I can make that happen
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 02:25 PM   #9
Bob Johnson

Default Mine is a daily driver

I use my Model A as my daily driver. I drive in town and on the highways. I put over 3000 miles per year on it.

Bob
Bob Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 02:28 PM   #10
700rpm

I drove my unrestored 29 Tudor daily through high school and college, 1962-1970. I still drive it often, now restored, but not daily, for a couple reasons: I have historic plates on it (and my others, too), so legally I am not allowed to drive it as a regular vehicle. Also, the population here has more than doubled in forty years, and the roads have gotten much more crowded. And some places I like to go I can't get to without some freeway driving, which wasn't true forty years ago, so that is some restriction. But I have total confidence in their ability to "get me there," and I still drive them as much as I can. Distance doesn't worry me as much as finding and traveling on safe routes.

As you go through life, keep your eye on the donut, not the hole.
700rpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 02:51 PM   #11
Bruce Lancaster
Member Emeritus

Biggest modern limit to use of an old Ford in good mechanical condition is salt. Winter driving around here would be deeply regrettable...some years we seem to get fewer inches of snow than salt. Fighting this would require complete but incorrect total teardown restoration, with everything coated with lots of modern paints and maybe all pinch areas then oiled, as we can't do anything about the existing metal in there.
Brakes are probably becoming a limit...modern cars have extremely powerful brakes, enough tire to handle that, and of course computer controls so any idiot can just nail the brake pedal. All younger drivers drive with complete trust in their brakes and do not hesitate to stop suddenly and hard...
An early Ford with late disc brakes and fat modern tires is easily built, but again is maving pretty far from stock. Caution and maintaining space is frequently not even possible as traffic will rapidly grab any space you try to leave...
Bruce Lancaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 03:07 PM   #12
Kevin in NJ

Being in NJ the temp changes and condensation on the windows would be my biggest concern.

I drove 60's Mustangs for many years. The first year I got a 68 with A/C and could clear the windows kind of put the nail in the coffin on the non-AC cars for safe all weather driving.

Being able to see in bad weather makes a huge difference in safety.
Kevin in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 03:54 PM   #13
V4F

i have used mine for a daily driver for 10 yrs now . love it ! i maintain it as needed and love the looks i get . ...................... steve
Old 11-29-2011, 04:11 PM   #14
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin in NJ View Post
Being in NJ the temp changes and condensation on the windows would be my biggest concern.

I drove 60's Mustangs for many years. The first year I got a 68 with A/C and could clear the windows kind of put the nail in the coffin on the non-AC cars for safe all weather driving.

Being able to see in bad weather makes a huge difference in safety.
Kevin, if you have a Roadster or Phaeton, is that really of any concern??

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 05:00 PM   #15
Lawrie

I use my 28 pickup every day, town has 37k pop,
My boys use it often as an engine pickup vehicle and when theirs are broken down.
No problems.
Lawrie
Lawrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 05:22 PM   #16
steve s

I drove mine for 5 years in high school and college ('60 - '65). The Michigan road salt took its toll, but my junk yard hot water heater made it bearable at the time. It was my car!

Steve

Last edited by steve s; 11-29-2011 at 06:53 PM.
steve s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 05:33 PM   #17
ChicagoBob

Drove my '30 Tudor almost daily in Chicago from 1991-1998. Worked great, although I eventually gave up on the generator due to lack of regulator.
ChicagoBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 05:46 PM   #18
Aerocraft

I have never thought that driving my Model A on a daily basis was anything special. I am sure there are many non-Fordbarners that do just that with their Model A without feeling they are unique.

My '30 Coupe was my only car in the late fifties through the time I was married in the mid-sixties. I drove it frequently from Otis Air Force Base in southeast MA to my home in the Chicago area from '58 thru '61. The Coupe isn't driven as much now that I have several other A's to drive. One of them is generally out daily. Now that it is too cold for an open car, the Coupe will be out and about until there is salt on the roads. When the roads get salty, out comes my winter "beater", a '29 Briggs TS complete with an Autolight heater. The salt can't do anything that I (or someone else) can't eventually fix. Gar Williams
Attached Images
File Type: jpg '29 Briggs, the winter beater.jpg (51.1 KB, 48 views)
Aerocraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 05:58 PM   #19
jackball

I bought mine to drive. Very few places I won't go in mine.
jackball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 06:13 PM   #20
jcheshire31

Once we put a four speed in ours i'll start driving it a lot more than I do now. Dallas traffic isn't fun in a 80 year old unsycronized car.
jcheshire31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 06:35 PM   #21
Jordan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerocraft View Post
I have never thought that driving my Model A on a daily basis was anything special. I am sure there are many non-Fordbarners that do just that with their Model A without feeling they are unique.

My '30 Coupe was my only car in the late fifties through the time I was married in the mid-sixties. I drove it frequently from Otis Air Force Base in southeast MA to my home in the Chicago area from '58 thru '61. The Coupe isn't driven as much now that I have several other A's to drive. One of them is generally out daily. Now that it is too cold for an open car, the Coupe will be out and about until there is salt on the roads. When the roads get salty, out comes my winter "beater", a '29 Briggs TS complete with an Autolight heater. The salt can't do anything that I (or someone else) can't eventually fix. Gar Williams
If you think that car is a "beater", i'd love to see how nice your other cars are. Luckily down here we don't have salt on our roads...because they don't freeze.
Old 11-29-2011, 07:38 PM   #22
ed thibodeau

I only drive the tudor in the summer, but living in mich. Ive always believed that you should have a beat up pick-up to drive in the winter so I drive the 31 widebed when the snow flies, (it has an ottwell heater) and I figure I have about 10 more yrs driving left and I want to drive an A as much as I can. They are not that expensive when you look at the price of a good used pick-up today.
ed thibodeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 07:45 PM   #23
RcT

From 1961 to 1964, my first car was a $210 six-wheel '30 sport coupe w/rumble. I drove it to high school daily; there were four other kids that had A's, too. This car was my daily driver through high school, on to community college, after school job, dates, etc. Out of the five A's I have had in my life, this one, mechanically, was probably the worst. Rain or shine, I was out there. No snow to contend with in Central California.

Each car got progressively better and now I have probably the best one, mechanically, I have ever had, but drive it the least. The car will do a daily routine, but driving has changed. The speeds are faster, and quicker to get to the limit. Brakes, belts, turn signals, lighting, all have to be competitive to contend with today's driving.

The car is now 82 years old and I am in my senior years. I can't help but feel more vulnerable than I once was. The car will do fine as a daily driver, but conditions are tougher than ever. Another big issue when using the car daily is just doing the errands; I don't feel good leaving the car in a parking lot as I go about my errands. Too many theives and vandals and touchy-feely people out there.

Daily driving the A is not for me, but the car will do it. It's all the other things I have a problem with. Maybe in a smaller town... with a bigger dog to leave in the car...
RcT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 08:33 PM   #24
buyitsmart

I'm trying to drive mine every day, but today she isn't available. Soon she will be with a new Snyder's 6.1 head...FUN!

Ken in Orlando
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_9915-r.jpg (64.0 KB, 77 views)
buyitsmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 10:27 PM   #25
Bill Cal.

I've had a 29 coupe since 1965 and have put over 50,000 miles on it. Not restored or a show car, rolled it once and still going strong as long as I keep it under 45 mph. I've lusted for a steel back Victoria for years and can't seem to find the right one. Any help would be appreciated as time is getting short. Bill
Bill Cal. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 01:29 PM   #26
Jack '29 Sport Coupe

I sold my daily driver a few years ago, and drove the coupe while I searched for a new car. What started out to be a one week search turned into five months with the
coupe as my only transportation. It was so much fun that I was in no hurry to shell
out the bucks for a new driver.

Jack
Old 11-30-2011, 02:44 PM   #27
Karl

I drive mine to work probably three times a week Its parked out the back of work now . As I live in a small rural town I'm only about 5 minutes drive from work but I normally drive in a big loop way out of my way to make it a 15 min drive. Since I've had the Sports coupe I've done 20,000 miles and although I've had one or two breakdowns I've always got it going on the side of the road and its always brought me home (once on two cylinders) -Karl
Karl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 06:11 PM   #28
Purdy Swoft

I drove my 31 coupe as a daily driver for many years, we always had other vehicles but I really enjoyed driving the model A to work. in the early days I drove it in primer with blue fiberglass rear fenders from Ricks.
Purdy Swoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 06:50 PM   #29
harleyjj

I wish I could drive mine daily! I drive it into work occasionally, and run errands in our little town with it but I hate driving it in rush hour traffic in the city where I work. Plus I ride my Harley to work most days in the summer.
harleyjj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 07:05 PM   #30
vinepro

Here is a concept, All Model A's can be a daily if you want them too, I drive mine on a daily basis and there is repairs that need to be done from time to time to keep them on the road.
vinepro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 12:52 PM   #31
tamagrouchy

Salt and idiots on the road would be my 2 biggest deterrents from driving an A daily. If I were in a warmer rural area, it would be a consideration. Working in the Chicago area, you take your life in your hands in a modern car they way people drive around here. Heck if you are going ONLY 10 mph OVER the speed limit, they try their best to run you off the road. A model A would infuriate them to do something even more hostile. People and conditions were a LOT more hospitable to driving the A years ago. I.e. no salting and other drivers were in similar cars and had these crazy things called respect and sense!
tamagrouchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 02:13 PM   #32
JoeWay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purdy Swoft View Post
I drove my 31 coupe as a daily driver for many years, we always had other vehicles but I really enjoyed driving the model A to work. in the early days I drove it in primer with blue fiberglass rear fenders from Ricks.
Purdy, you're MUCH better looking than I would have thought, if I had thought about it.
JoeWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 04:22 PM   #33
modelAtony

James. Got 31 tudor average about 1100 miles per month. have fun modelAtony lafayette,la
modelAtony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 05:09 PM   #34
Purdy Swoft

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeWay View Post
Purdy, you're MUCH better looking than I would have thought, if I had thought about it.
Thats not me, Joe. I've changed quiet a bit over the years. Here is a picture of me standing behind my Sept. 29, taken sometimes in 07. That is my wife in the picture standing on the running board of our coupe several years ago.. She still looks a lot better than me, thank goodness!!
Old 12-01-2011, 05:44 PM   #35
Purdy Swoft

Here is a very faded photo of me standing by the same car in 1962. I was 15 going on 16. I got the strip down model A in the spring of 1960, lots of water under the bridge since then but i've still got the strip down and it looks a lot better now than it did then, runs better too!!!
Old 12-01-2011, 09:15 PM   #36
Theo

I will drive mine daily once I get it back from the shop this week. I will be driving it to and from work and to college. Cant wait to see peoples' reactions!
Theo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 08:40 PM   #37
Hondamate

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcheshire31 View Post
Once we put a four speed in ours i'll start driving it a lot more than I do now. Dallas traffic isn't fun in a 80 year old unsycronized car.
Where did you get the 4 speed transmission from? I thought they only came in 3
Hondamate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 09:12 PM   #38
Jordan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondamate View Post
Where did you get the 4 speed transmission from? I thought they only came in 3
In the DFW area, We get them from Gary Bernard. He's a Model A're who owns a transmission shop near the stockyards in Fort Worth. He owns AAAA Transmissions on 28th street.
Old 11-09-2012, 09:59 PM   #39
TerryH

I am retired now, but still run around town a lot, and use my 1930 Town Sedan for most of it...running errands and to the store, and also on our Southern Calif. freeways. I have a Mitchell and the V-8 clutch and pressure plate, so stop and go isn't fun, but not a big problem either. I also park in the parking lots...a little careful just where, but I don't go crazy over it. Lots of folks gather around the car and ask questions, but very few touch it...although young kids seem to love the running boards. With a properly, nice running engine and good brakes I really enjoy driving mine frequently, even in fast and busy traffic, but you do need to be careful and aware of the cars limitations!
TerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 11:12 PM   #40
marc hildebrant

I drove my 1933 Chev daily from 1967-1970 when I sold it.

Then again, being a Chevy it was more "modern" than a Model A.

Marc
marc hildebrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 11:16 PM   #41
marc hildebrant

Brent....with regard to people 80 years ago asking about driving their Model A every day : It was NEW then! Not 80 year old metal and highly worn parts.

The fact that I can drive my Model A every day is a testament to the excellent design and quality material of the Model A....but...it still is an old car with some risk of reliabilty.

Marc
marc hildebrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 12:38 AM   #42
Russ B

In high school, I only had Model A's and I drove them every day without regard for weather. But I remember it being hard to keep the windshield from fogging up in the winter. ...and the wipers were not great either.
Russ B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 01:04 AM   #43
glenn in camino

Up here in the Northern Ca. foothills I drive my Model As as often as I can, year around, as long as weather permits. I don't take them out in the snow.
glenn in camino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 01:23 AM   #44
dumb person

i would if mine got more than 5MPG and went over 40... i really would like to use it daily i really would.
dumb person is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 01:34 AM   #45
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumb person View Post
i would if mine got more than 5MPG and went over 40... i really would like to use it daily i really would.
Mine gets a low 17 MPG (was better before corn gas) and will travel to, and stop from 60.
Old 11-10-2012, 01:53 AM   #46
Hondamate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan View Post
In the DFW area, We get them from Gary Bernard. He's a Model A're who owns a transmission shop near the stockyards in Fort Worth. He owns AAAA Transmissions on 28th street.
Thanks for the reply. Sorry for the hi jack
Hondamate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 02:41 AM   #47
dumb person

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike V. Florida View Post
Mine gets a low 17 MPG (was better before corn gas) and will travel to, and stop from 60.
i know right? So i read fordbarn every night to learn more

"I'm Convinced that no one really reads posts anymore; they just fabricate what they think the post says then ramble on about red herrings."--Bob
Outcasts rules of old cars
#1 Fun is imperative, mainstream is overrated
#2 If they think it is impossible, prove them wrong
#3 If the science says it impossible you are not being creative enough.
#4 No shame in recreating something you never had
#5 If it were not for the law & physics you would be unstoppable
dumb person is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 06:40 AM   #48
James Rogers

Quote:
Originally Posted by modelAtony View Post
James. Got 31 tudor average about 1100 miles per month. have fun modelAtony lafayette,la
Tony, how close are you to Kenner, LA?
James Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 08:29 AM   #49
mmindling

Hi, my dad and I began my Model A project in 1961, when I was 14 years old. It was intended to be my car (1928 Tudor *A457909). We worked on the car together and rebuilt it twice after joining MARC and seeing how it should be done. Took my drivers test at 16 at Elston Avenue DMV in Chicago - passed the first time and the test guy was thrilled with the car.
My high school friends thought it was pretty cool, but then anyone who had a car suddenly had friends.

Drove the 28 through the rest of high school and kept it through college, although with little use then. Went from the North Side of Chicago to Saugatuck Michigan (190 miles each way, lot of city driving) twice with no problems. The engine had been soundly rebuilt by a machine shop on Cicero Avenue in Chicago, and held up very well to long distance driving.

Eventually, ended up selling the A to buy a 67 Mustang fastback. Often regret selling that car and wonder what happened with it. However, I learned to be a perpetual Model A fan and now have *A11739* in retirement. Just as much fun as in 1961.

Regards,
mmindling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 08:32 AM   #50
Ron Lowe

Dad worked for the Post Office all his life. When he started delivering mail all they you had was Model A's. Now that's what you call daily driving, rain, snow, and very cold. He said he never had a problem and never thought about not having a heater. That same mail car is in a local museum today.
Ron Lowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 09:22 AM   #51
ScottNW/Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRENT in 10-uh-C View Post
This may be a TOTALLY insane thought but, ....do you suppose people some 80 years ago had this same question whether they could use a Model A Ford as their daily driver? Do you think they would have been reliable enough? What do you suppose would have been the maximum distance they would have dared drive it to work? Do you suppose anyone ever considered driving 20-25 miles each way to work?

You know I am saying this tongue-in-cheek but it does beg the question why should this not be feasible? Generally speaking, I think we would all agree that we can go anywhere in a Model A that we can in a modern vehicle ....except maybe not as fast. In many instances that could be a good thing!!
Maybe 80 years ago, on "horsebarn.com" they asked the same question about keeping a horse and buggy for a "daily driver" ???
ScottNW/Ohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 09:51 AM   #52
lance leblanc

It was'nt to long ago that the reliablity due to over heating in traffic, the price of fuel and a few to many speeding tickets that I made the decision that a certain 1969 Bowtie was know longer considered a daily driver. Maybe a few regretes for selling it. However my current "A" project I am comfident will cure any daily driver withdrawals that I'm having. (point is how many 40 yr old cars do you see being used as daily drivers)
lance leblanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 02:00 PM   #53
Chris in WNC

my daily driver right now is Alice's 58 Chebby truck. if someone persuaded us to sell it, I'd drive the 31 Coupe every day without fear. helps to live in a rural area outside a smaller city. might get old if we were stuck in Atlanta or Dallas.
I make an effort to drive the A somewhere at least twice a week, they don't like being parked inactive.....
Old 11-10-2012, 02:09 PM   #54
ctvpa

I drove mine as a daily driver all through high school, college, etc for 10 years from 1975. Summer and winter in New England.
The main concern now is the lack of respect, and the loss of common courtesy. I have people speed past me on the left to hit the breaks to make a right turn, when there is no other car behind me, and I come so close to nailing them. Remember if you rear end another car you are found to be at fault 99% time. Law does not take into consideration that you are in an antique.
On my way to work every day I pass the most dangerous place on earth, a Dunkin Doughnut shop. Every morning you have to deal with people who are too lazy to make their own coffee, in a huge rush, trying to drive while adding cream sugar, light a cigarette, talk on the phone, text their facebook friends some insignificant trash, all while they pull out in front of you, without even looking, in total disrespect to all others on the road only to prove their narcissistic life.
I prefer to keep my ford for a special drive, even just around the block to decompress from work (the best time is about at 2 in the a.m.), or a ride to the store, and allow it to be a reward to me, from me and for me.

Last edited by ctvpa; 11-10-2012 at 02:18 PM.
ctvpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 02:18 PM   #55
ctvpa

I drove mine as a daily driver all through high school, college, etc for 10 years from 1975. Summer and winter in New England.
The main concern now is the lack of respect, and the loss of common courtesy. I have people speed past me on the left to hit the breaks to make a right turn, when there is no other car behind me, and I come so close to nailing them. Remember if you rear end another car you are found to be at fault 99% time. Law does not take into consideration that you are in an antique.
On my way to work every day I pass the most dangerous place on earth, a Dunkin Doughnut. Every moring you have to deal with people who are too lazy to make their own coffee, on a rush, trying to drive while adding cream sugar, talk on the phone, text their facebook friends some insignificant trash, all while they pull out in front of you in total disrespect olny to prove their narcissistic life.
I prefer to keep my ford for a special drive, even just around the block to decompress from work, or a ride to the store, and allow it to be a reward to me, from me and for me.
ctvpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 03:43 PM   #56
Skeezixx

I have to admit that I prefer my "modern" car as a daily driver but the Model A has it beat hands down for transporting groceries:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg A and A.jpg (230.2 KB, 30 views)
Skeezixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 05:01 PM   #57
msmaron

Send a message via AIM to msmaron

Just turned on 7350 miles this year.. can you say DAILY DRIVER!!!! Yes of course you can use it...isnt that the fun of the car....to me at least it is!
National Facebook Admin.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/MARC.group/

A7191-Sport Coupe
29 Roadster
29-Town Sedan
29-Original Special Coupe
msmaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 09:03 PM   #58
blgitn

Well, I drove my 30 Coupe exclusively for years in Cleveland before I joined the Seabees. Best point: retard the timing long enough and you could light a smoke through the heater door. Worst point: The high-beams behind you when you have the windshield closed all the way. Now all my old Fords are open cars, and I'm older, so I take the Hudson when it's crappy out.
blgitn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 09:43 AM   #59
M2M

There are guys who use Model Ts as daily drivers...a Model A having twice the hp and twice the stopping power most definitely could be used as a daily.

I think though driving an antique car safely takes a lot more skill and concentration than a modern car, so a Model A for a daily driver is not for everyone.

M2M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 12:32 PM   #60
BILL WILLIAMSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by blgitn View Post
Well, I drove my 30 Coupe exclusively for years in Cleveland before I joined the Seabees. Best point: retard the timing long enough and you could light a smoke through the heater door. Worst point: The high-beams behind you when you have the windshield closed all the way. Now all my old Fords are open cars, and I'm older, so I take the Hudson when it's crappy out.
blgitin,
In my coupe, at night, it took time to get used to light reflections coming from EVERY direction! It's like a house of MIRRORS!! But at night, parked at the 99 cent store lot, I can see all the cute chicks coming & going from every direction!! Yes, I'm a dirty ooooold man, but the chicks don't know, 'cause I don't even have to turn my head to admire them! Seems chicks are cuter now than when I was in school!!
Seems that here, folks go out of their way to give me room & consideration, I accidentally cut a guy off once, and he just SMILED & WAVED! Once, a cop said he should write me up for havin' too much FUN! Bill W.
Old 11-11-2012, 04:36 PM   #61
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.

My vintage car insuranc will not allow this so obviously you would have to have regular insurance on this car
Wayne
C26Pinelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 07:00 PM   #62
BILL WILLIAMSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by C26Pinelake View Post
My vintage car insuranc will not allow this so obviously you would have to have regular insurance on this car
Wayne
Wayne,
I looked & my policy doesn't have an "ANTI-CHICK" clause. I've paid through the NOSE for A.A.A. insurance since 1958 'cause they're good & they have all them FLATBEDS that'll pick me up in a 100 mile radius. (Maybe this post will get me a DISCOUNT!) Bill W.
Old 11-11-2012, 08:51 PM   #63
Ice man

Until very recently, I drove my 29 Pk Up daily, and many would ask if it had a problem climbing our mountinous roads here in the Islands. Well if you look at old pictures of St. Thomas, you see a lot of old Model As. That's what they drove back then, and they drove them every day. Its what they had, so I drove mine. Iceman
Ice man is offline   Reply With Quote