Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-09-2012, 11:16 PM   #41
marc hildebrant

Default Re: Model A as a Daily Driver

Brent....with regard to people 80 years ago asking about driving their Model A every day : It was NEW then! Not 80 year old metal and highly worn parts.

The fact that I can drive my Model A every day is a testament to the excellent design and quality material of the Model A....but...it still is an old car with some risk of reliabilty.

Marc
marc hildebrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 12:38 AM   #42
Russ B

In high school, I only had Model A's and I drove them every day without regard for weather. But I remember it being hard to keep the windshield from fogging up in the winter. ...and the wipers were not great either.
Russ B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 01:04 AM   #43
glenn in camino

Up here in the Northern Ca. foothills I drive my Model As as often as I can, year around, as long as weather permits. I don't take them out in the snow.
glenn in camino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 01:23 AM   #44
dumb person

i would if mine got more than 5MPG and went over 40... i really would like to use it daily i really would.
dumb person is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 01:34 AM   #45
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumb person View Post
i would if mine got more than 5MPG and went over 40... i really would like to use it daily i really would.
Mine gets a low 17 MPG (was better before corn gas) and will travel to, and stop from 60.
Old 11-10-2012, 01:53 AM   #46
Hondamate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan View Post
In the DFW area, We get them from Gary Bernard. He's a Model A're who owns a transmission shop near the stockyards in Fort Worth. He owns AAAA Transmissions on 28th street.
Thanks for the reply. Sorry for the hi jack
Hondamate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 02:41 AM   #47
dumb person

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike V. Florida View Post
Mine gets a low 17 MPG (was better before corn gas) and will travel to, and stop from 60.
i know right? So i read fordbarn every night to learn more

"I'm Convinced that no one really reads posts anymore; they just fabricate what they think the post says then ramble on about red herrings."--Bob
Outcasts rules of old cars
#1 Fun is imperative, mainstream is overrated
#2 If they think it is impossible, prove them wrong
#3 If the science says it impossible you are not being creative enough.
#4 No shame in recreating something you never had
#5 If it were not for the law & physics you would be unstoppable
dumb person is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 06:40 AM   #48
James Rogers

Quote:
Originally Posted by modelAtony View Post
James. Got 31 tudor average about 1100 miles per month. have fun modelAtony lafayette,la
Tony, how close are you to Kenner, LA?
James Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 08:29 AM   #49
mmindling

Hi, my dad and I began my Model A project in 1961, when I was 14 years old. It was intended to be my car (1928 Tudor *A457909). We worked on the car together and rebuilt it twice after joining MARC and seeing how it should be done. Took my drivers test at 16 at Elston Avenue DMV in Chicago - passed the first time and the test guy was thrilled with the car.
My high school friends thought it was pretty cool, but then anyone who had a car suddenly had friends.

Drove the 28 through the rest of high school and kept it through college, although with little use then. Went from the North Side of Chicago to Saugatuck Michigan (190 miles each way, lot of city driving) twice with no problems. The engine had been soundly rebuilt by a machine shop on Cicero Avenue in Chicago, and held up very well to long distance driving.

Eventually, ended up selling the A to buy a 67 Mustang fastback. Often regret selling that car and wonder what happened with it. However, I learned to be a perpetual Model A fan and now have *A11739* in retirement. Just as much fun as in 1961.

Regards,
mmindling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 08:32 AM   #50
Ron Lowe

Dad worked for the Post Office all his life. When he started delivering mail all they you had was Model A's. Now that's what you call daily driving, rain, snow, and very cold. He said he never had a problem and never thought about not having a heater. That same mail car is in a local museum today.
Ron Lowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 09:22 AM   #51
ScottNW/Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRENT in 10-uh-C View Post
This may be a TOTALLY insane thought but, ....do you suppose people some 80 years ago had this same question whether they could use a Model A Ford as their daily driver? Do you think they would have been reliable enough? What do you suppose would have been the maximum distance they would have dared drive it to work? Do you suppose anyone ever considered driving 20-25 miles each way to work?

You know I am saying this tongue-in-cheek but it does beg the question why should this not be feasible? Generally speaking, I think we would all agree that we can go anywhere in a Model A that we can in a modern vehicle ....except maybe not as fast. In many instances that could be a good thing!!
Maybe 80 years ago, on "horsebarn.com" they asked the same question about keeping a horse and buggy for a "daily driver" ???
ScottNW/Ohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 09:51 AM   #52
lance leblanc

It was'nt to long ago that the reliablity due to over heating in traffic, the price of fuel and a few to many speeding tickets that I made the decision that a certain 1969 Bowtie was know longer considered a daily driver. Maybe a few regretes for selling it. However my current "A" project I am comfident will cure any daily driver withdrawals that I'm having. (point is how many 40 yr old cars do you see being used as daily drivers)
lance leblanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 02:00 PM   #53
Chris in WNC

my daily driver right now is Alice's 58 Chebby truck. if someone persuaded us to sell it, I'd drive the 31 Coupe every day without fear. helps to live in a rural area outside a smaller city. might get old if we were stuck in Atlanta or Dallas.
I make an effort to drive the A somewhere at least twice a week, they don't like being parked inactive.....
Old 11-10-2012, 02:09 PM   #54
ctvpa

I drove mine as a daily driver all through high school, college, etc for 10 years from 1975. Summer and winter in New England.
The main concern now is the lack of respect, and the loss of common courtesy. I have people speed past me on the left to hit the breaks to make a right turn, when there is no other car behind me, and I come so close to nailing them. Remember if you rear end another car you are found to be at fault 99% time. Law does not take into consideration that you are in an antique.
On my way to work every day I pass the most dangerous place on earth, a Dunkin Doughnut shop. Every morning you have to deal with people who are too lazy to make their own coffee, in a huge rush, trying to drive while adding cream sugar, light a cigarette, talk on the phone, text their facebook friends some insignificant trash, all while they pull out in front of you, without even looking, in total disrespect to all others on the road only to prove their narcissistic life.
I prefer to keep my ford for a special drive, even just around the block to decompress from work (the best time is about at 2 in the a.m.), or a ride to the store, and allow it to be a reward to me, from me and for me.

Last edited by ctvpa; 11-10-2012 at 02:18 PM.
ctvpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 02:18 PM   #55
ctvpa

I drove mine as a daily driver all through high school, college, etc for 10 years from 1975. Summer and winter in New England.
The main concern now is the lack of respect, and the loss of common courtesy. I have people speed past me on the left to hit the breaks to make a right turn, when there is no other car behind me, and I come so close to nailing them. Remember if you rear end another car you are found to be at fault 99% time. Law does not take into consideration that you are in an antique.
On my way to work every day I pass the most dangerous place on earth, a Dunkin Doughnut. Every moring you have to deal with people who are too lazy to make their own coffee, on a rush, trying to drive while adding cream sugar, talk on the phone, text their facebook friends some insignificant trash, all while they pull out in front of you in total disrespect olny to prove their narcissistic life.
I prefer to keep my ford for a special drive, even just around the block to decompress from work, or a ride to the store, and allow it to be a reward to me, from me and for me.
ctvpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 03:43 PM   #56
Skeezixx

I have to admit that I prefer my "modern" car as a daily driver but the Model A has it beat hands down for transporting groceries:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg A and A.jpg (230.2 KB, 32 views)
Skeezixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 05:01 PM   #57
msmaron

Send a message via AIM to msmaron

Just turned on 7350 miles this year.. can you say DAILY DRIVER!!!! Yes of course you can use it...isnt that the fun of the car....to me at least it is!
National Facebook Admin.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/MARC.group/

A7191-Sport Coupe
29 Roadster
29-Town Sedan
29-Original Special Coupe
msmaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 09:03 PM   #58
blgitn

Well, I drove my 30 Coupe exclusively for years in Cleveland before I joined the Seabees. Best point: retard the timing long enough and you could light a smoke through the heater door. Worst point: The high-beams behind you when you have the windshield closed all the way. Now all my old Fords are open cars, and I'm older, so I take the Hudson when it's crappy out.
blgitn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 09:43 AM   #59
M2M

There are guys who use Model Ts as daily drivers...a Model A having twice the hp and twice the stopping power most definitely could be used as a daily.

I think though driving an antique car safely takes a lot more skill and concentration than a modern car, so a Model A for a daily driver is not for everyone.

M2M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 12:32 PM   #60
BILL WILLIAMSON

Quote:
Originally Posted by blgitn View Post
Well, I drove my 30 Coupe exclusively for years in Cleveland before I joined the Seabees. Best point: retard the timing long enough and you could light a smoke through the heater door. Worst point: The high-beams behind you when you have the windshield closed all the way. Now all my old Fords are open cars, and I'm older, so I take the Hudson when it's crappy out.
blgitin,
In my coupe, at night, it took time to get used to light reflections coming from EVERY direction! It's like a house of MIRRORS!! But at night, parked at the 99 cent store lot, I can see all the cute chicks coming & going from every direction!! Yes, I'm a dirty ooooold man, but the chicks don't know, 'cause I don't even have to turn my head to admire them! Seems chicks are cuter now than when I was in school!!
Seems that here, folks go out of their way to give me room & consideration, I accidentally cut a guy off once, and he just SMILED & WAVED! Once, a cop said he should write me up for havin' too much FUN! Bill W.