Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-12-2017, 01:29 PM   #1
Mitch//pa
BANNED

Thumbs up I joined MARC now what?

I paid in full and lost 1.5 months of membership since it renews on 1/1/2018.
I received a sticker with my acceptance letter, im certainly not going to stick it on my car
Its hard to attend the events compared to AACA as they take place during the week
I know ill receive the magazine so there is one plus
I used to be a Marc member in 2011, but let it lapse for many of these reasons.
Never received an ID card so what do u show at events? I guess any ole Tom, Dick, Harry or Jane can participate

Maybe just being part of the brotherhood again will be cool:

I do get a FREE classified ad .

Should i join MAFCA

Last edited by Mitch//pa; 02-12-2017 at 01:40 PM.
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 03:03 PM   #2
jb-ob

Default Re: I joined MARC now what?

Mitch,

Yes it's winter in the northeast and snowing again today, bitch, bitch, bitch.

If you put the window sticker on your head, I'm sure you'll be allowed in anywhere at the Gettysburg MARC National Meet.

In what Area of Fine Point Judging do you wish to 'volunteer' ??

JB
jb-ob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 03:19 PM   #3
mhsprecher

Well worth it and it supports the Model A hobby. Join MARC, too, if you are not a member already. The annual meet is in Gettysburg this year.
mhsprecher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 03:26 PM   #4
jm29henry

Join a Marc associated car club in your area ,your club gets an insurance benefits for people hosting event ,post some of those valuable car parts hanging in the garage ,the tech article are great and informative enjoy the experience
jm29henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 03:43 PM   #5
Mitch//pa
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhsprecher View Post
Well worth it and it supports the Model A hobby. Join MARC, too, if you are not a member already. The annual meet is in Gettysburg this year.
I did join MARC
Old 02-12-2017, 03:58 PM   #6
Jeff/Illinois

Model A News and The Restorer are good magazines, but they sure pile up fast. I had stacks and stacks on the garage workbench they overflowed from the house

I plan on getting the CD disc of the first fifty years of The Restorer soon. I've given away almost all of the magazines!! Had been a member since 1971 with a several year lapse in the late '90's. Tossed out at least 80 pounds of Mustang magazines, but will not throw away a Model A magazine I send them on to other hobbyists! Have even left them in hospital waiting rooms and the nursing home. The old guys love reading them.

Marc Maron is an original Marc member by name association!!. Now Mitch is a Marc Mitch Say that ten times as fast as you can!!
Jeff/Illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 04:01 PM   #7
Mitch//pa
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff/Illinois View Post
Model A News and The Restorer are good magazines, but they sure pile up fast. I had stacks and stacks on the garage workbench they overflowed from the house

I plan on getting the CD disc of the first fifty years of The Restorer soon. I've given away almost all of the magazines!! Had been a member since 1971 with a several year lapse in the late '90's. Tossed out at least 80 pounds of Mustang magazines, but will not throw away a Model A magazine I send them on to other hobbyists! Have even left them in hospital waiting rooms and the nursing home. The old guys love reading them.

Marc Maron is an original Marc member by name association!!. Now Mitch is a Marc Mitch Say that ten times as fast as you can!!
The cd is a great idea. Maybe it's on a stick drive by now
Old 02-12-2017, 04:01 PM   #8
mhsprecher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch//pa View Post
I did join MARC
Yeah, I read too fast the first time, realized my mistake and fixed it!!
mhsprecher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 04:26 PM   #9
Keith True

I belonged to MARC for quite a few years,from the mid-90's on.There is no advantage for me belonging to the clubs.Not interested in touring or shows,so not much reason to belong.I did stay for a few years because I like magazines.Then it got too expensive for 6 magazines a year with a few good articles,and a bunch of stories of people in parades.I don't believe there is a MARC chapter in N.H.anymore either.I did belong to one of the clubs in the early 70's,I don't remember which one,but I gave up after being treated pretty badly by some of the know-it-all old timers.I think the nearest club of any kind is 35 miles from me.
Keith True is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 04:37 PM   #10
30ccpickup

I was a Scout leader for many years, belonging is what you bring into it. Help is always best!!

Fordbarners, Feel free to use the pictures on my site to answer questions and create tutorials/tech articles.
30ccpickup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 06:37 PM   #11
31 Model A

Location: Here I am in front of Todd's Grocery in 1931 selling Grit newspapers

Quote:

Hey Bro!!! Was up!!!!!

"Hey Lady, ya wanna buy a Grit?"

"If you don't learn to laugh at trouble, you won't have anything to laugh at when you're old" Will Rogers
31 Model A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 06:55 PM   #12
Jeff/Illinois

[QUOTE=Keith True;1428668].I did belong to one of the clubs in the early 70's,I don't remember which one,but I gave up after being treated pretty badly by some of the know-it-all old timers/QUOTE]

Keith even though Illinois has to be a thousand miles away from N. Hampshire, we must have belonged to the same club back then. My little '29 Tudor was a honey, to me. I really liked that car but it had the wrong interior, wrong color paint, and 1930 headlight buckets. I didn't care, it was an extremely solid mostly original car but those same old-timers loved to point out those obvious 'flaws' I got pretty tired of it.

Some of those same old suckers (they were WWII vets) really gave Vietnam vets a lot of sh-- when they came home here. About Vietnam vets were 'losing' the war, blah blah BUT by the late 1980's when they were getting to old to 'run' the American Legion they would come around and try to talk Vietnam vets into joining the Legion. I had to laugh at how they were talked down to and basically told to go to hell.

Never forgot that.
Jeff/Illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 07:09 PM   #13
31 Model A

Quote:
[

Some of those same old suckers (they were WWII vets) really gave Vietnam vets a lot of sh-- when they came home here. About Vietnam vets were 'losing' the war, blah blah BUT by the late 1980's when they were getting to old to 'run' the American Legion they would come around and try to talk Vietnam vets into joining the Legion. I had to laugh at how they were talked down to and basically told to go to hell.

Never forgot that.
Neither have I.................

"If you don't learn to laugh at trouble, you won't have anything to laugh at when you're old" Will Rogers
Old 02-12-2017, 07:48 PM   #14
mshmodela

Quote:
I paid in full and lost 1.5 months of membership since it renews on 1/1/2018.
I received a sticker with my acceptance letter, im certainly not going to stick it on my car
Its hard to attend the events compared to AACA as they take place during the week
I know ill receive the magazine so there is one plus
I used to be a Marc member in 2011, but let it lapse for many of these reasons.
Never received an ID card so what do u show at events? I guess any ole Tom, Dick, Harry or Jane can participate

I do get a FREE classified ad .

Should i join MAFCA
Well I belong to both only for their magazines and find both equally worth it...

Late 31' Ford Model A Tudor, Miss Daisy

I don't work on cars --I'm learning about my Model A.

Cleveland, Ohio
mshmodela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 08:09 PM   #15
Mitch//pa
BANNED

Quote:

Its on a flash drive only to 2006.... i guess the model a news is not available like that yet
Old 02-12-2017, 11:38 PM   #16
WTSHNN

I guess if one were to only look at how their dues benefit themselves then they don't view it as I do as a way of helping to finance some of the research and publication of various research and technical works that have helped this niche of a hobby to exist for so long.

I haven't been a MARC member for nearly 20 years because of what they do for me; I willingly pay my dues to support a club that has done so much for the hobby for some 60+ years.

-Tim
Old 02-13-2017, 12:12 AM   #17
160B

FWIW

This was published a number of years ago and it is appropriate today!!!

If you don't have time to do it right the 1st time, how do you have time to do it the 2nd time?
160B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 12:59 AM   #18
w.michael

Mitch,

Welcome to MARC and thank you for joining.

Please attend part or all of the 2017 meet in Gettysburg. Please stop by to see me there. I'll be the one stopped the side of the road with a malfunctioning carburetor, or lost between the hotel and the ice cream social, or under the car trying to correct the tailpipe clamp for the third time, only to fail that item in touring class judging for the third time.

Perhaps MARC needs you more than you need MARC. What a contribution you can make!

What Tim said above.

For me, I have been a member of the local club since 1965 and of MARC National since 1968. The local club is the reason I enjoy my Model A so much. I wouldn't have it any other way. Your reasons for joining and your experience may be different from mine, but I'm still glad you've joined and I hope you find it worthwhile for you.

Again, thanks for joining, and WELCOME!

W. Michael
w.michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 01:46 AM   #19
CarlG

Quote:
Originally Posted by mshmodela View Post
Well I belong to both only for their magazines and find both equally worth it...
Basically why I joined both, plus AACA. Just for the magazines. Added benefit is the insurance provided to the MAFCA & AACA clubs I belong to. No MARC club in Alaska. Add to that, I subscribe to John Lavoy's magazine, again, just for the magazine.
Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 08:55 AM   #20
jhowes

I agree pretty much with Keith True above. My situation is that the local club is 45 miles away more or less and hold their meetings at night. At 80 years old I can't drive at night or shouldn't. I drive my A locally and like to rebuild stuff on them such as the motor that I am doing now, but I do not have a local model A guy to go to for support. My loss I guess but I like the hobby and see no reason to join any club. Jack
jhowes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 09:01 AM   #21
Vicky

Wink Re: I joined MARC now what?

This comment below is so true. Both MARC & MAFCA, along with their local Chapteers, are make up of volunteers. It is more about belonging and contributing to the Model A Hobby,'than what have you done for me lately. There are many good members in all clubs, and some that may not be as friendly. Like everything else, it is what you make it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30ccpickup View Post
I was a Scout leader for many years, belonging is what you bring into it. Help is always best!!
Vicky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 11:11 AM   #22
Mitch//pa
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by w.michael View Post
Mitch,

Welcome to MARC and thank you for joining.

Please attend part or all of the 2017 meet in Gettysburg. Please stop by to see me there. I'll be the one stopped the side of the road with a malfunctioning carburetor, or lost between the hotel and the ice cream social, or under the car trying to correct the tailpipe clamp for the third time, only to fail that item in touring class judging for the third time.

Again, thanks for joining, and WELCOME!

W. Michael
I'll look for u under ya car..

Last edited by Mitch//pa; 02-13-2017 at 12:14 PM.
Old 02-13-2017, 07:07 PM   #23
w.michael

And your membership card will be included with your Jan-Feb issue of the Model A News. I received mine today. At national meets, those who register receive a name badge that is your admission ticket to club events and venues, although we don't normally have armed guards at the doors anyway!

W. Michael
w.michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 09:05 PM   #24
Mitch//pa
BANNED

Quote:
And your membership card will be included with your Jan-Feb issue of the Model A News. I received mine today. At national meets, those who register receive a name badge that is your admission ticket to club events and venues, although we don't normally have armed guards at the doors anyway!

W. Michael
Thank you
Old 02-13-2017, 09:30 PM   #25
DougVieyra

MitchPA, Post 31: "I joined MARC, now what?"
-------------------------------------

Now you join MAFCA - The Model A Ford Club of America ! ! !

-"An art piece has no value - if no one looks at it." - Plato

Mitch, like art, a Club is like a tool - if you use it, it has value - if you do not use it, it has no value. Both national clubs have value. Just how much value depends on how much you use (or don't use) it. For the last twenty-five years I only continued MAFCA because of the RESTORER magazine.

Being in a remote area, I used the RESTORER magazine just to keep 'connected' to the outside world of like-minded Model A owners. I stopped MARC twenty-five years ago because like many, I could not find value in TWO clubs.
DougVieyra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 10:01 PM   #26
31 Model A

Quote:
Jan-Feb issue of the Model A News. I received mine today.

W. Michael
I received mine today also. That Texaco fuel truck belongs in my driveway.

Old 02-13-2017, 10:32 PM   #27
TerryO

Quote:
.I think the nearest club of any kind is 35 miles from me.
I drive 100 miles round trip every month and have for several years to my local club meeting (Chattanooga). It is worth it all just to be part of an 'A' family. We try to have an enjoyable outing nearly every month. I also belong to MARC and MAFCA and intend to as long as I am breathing.
TerryO is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 11:03 PM   #28
Chris Haynes

Quote:
I plan on getting the CD disc of the first fifty years of The Restorer soon.
I have the first 50 years of The restorer. A screen is no substitute for a magazine in hand.
PS I have lots of duplicates if anybody is looking for some.
Speed costs money. How fast do you want to go?
Chris Haynes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 01:09 PM   #29
Mitch//pa
BANNED

Do MARC members have a special secret hand shake i should know about
Old 02-14-2017, 03:08 PM   #30
ronn

If you put the window sticker on your head,

it could actually be an improvement............
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 03:11 PM   #31
CarlG

Now you will have reading material for your "Waiting Room". You can now get rid of all those 1982-85 Sport's Illustrated Swimsuit issues.
Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 04:55 PM   #32
Mitch//pa
BANNED

I have Cosmopolitan and those tabloid magazines in the waiting room...
lots of woman come and wait....

There not interested in the car dreck
Old 02-14-2017, 04:56 PM   #33
Mitch//pa
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronn View Post
If you put the window sticker on your head,

it could actually be an improvement............
The sticker goes on the inside so it can be seen from the outside...
How would that work sticking it to the head.. it would be ass backwards
Old 02-14-2017, 05:16 PM   #34
31 Model A

Quote:
The sticker goes on the inside so it can be seen from the outside...
How would that work sticking it to the head.. it would be ass backwards
The stick it on your arse!!!!

Old 02-14-2017, 05:18 PM   #35
31 Model A

Quote:
I have Cosmopolitan and those tabloid magazines in the waiting room...
lots of woman come and wait....
I have that same problem, especially today. My sitting room is the waiting room!!!

Old 02-14-2017, 05:20 PM   #36
31 Model A

Quote:
Do MARC members have a special secret hand shake i should know about
Nope, we just don't wash our hands after a trip to the thrown room!!!!

Old 02-14-2017, 08:11 PM   #37
Steven Ryan

Now that your a memmber of MARC, you are welcome to join a club that may be close to you. One could be the Lehigh Valley Model A Club. We are located in the Allentown,PA area. Please stop by our tent at the Hellertown show and we can talk. Joining a local club can be very benificial for everyone, but you can only get out of a club, by how much you put into it. We are turning into a very active club with great comradery. Steve Ryan - club secretary 610-967-5027
Steven Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 09:27 PM   #38
Mitch//pa
BANNED

---

Last edited by Mitch//pa; 02-15-2017 at 07:20 AM.
Old 02-15-2017, 06:38 AM   #39
supergnat

Mitch,
You are certainly welcome to join or attend the Delaware Valley Model A Club. We meet at Daly's Garage in Bensalem at 7:30 PM the the first Thursday of every month. It's not far from your shop at all.
Supergnat.
supergnat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 02:35 PM   #40
Mitch//pa
BANNED

---

Last edited by Mitch//pa; 02-18-2017 at 05:00 PM.
Old 02-18-2017, 03:06 PM   #41
Jim Mason

By joining the club (better yet both clubs ) you help differ the costs of the publications. RG&JS FOR EXAMPLE. The cost of producing the RG&JS is astronomically more than the price of $55. I spent some time on the JSC of MAFCA assisting the revision. I was flown, and lodged at club expense so I could sit in two 8 to 10 hour meetings. 2-3 times per year for a number of years. I took vacation days to get away from work. i also spent numerous hours at home on reasearch & on typing. Every member did the same. Also, consider the volunteer time in research, secretarial, clerical and many other duties. So, thank you for your contribution. Anyone who gets benifit from the publications of the clubs should also thank you.

This is also why I feel that posting copies of the information should not be done. I, along with other club members have paid for our lunch, don't eat off our plate.

Last edited by Jim Mason; 02-18-2017 at 05:34 PM.
Jim Mason is offline   Reply With Quote