Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-28-2016, 02:01 PM   #1
Rocketdog1

Default Going to look tomorrow, need advice

Hi all,

New to the group, but several hours of surfing and I feel like I've found a home. I'm going to look at a '31 Fordor and was looking for some input. They claim "all original", though obviously that's not the case. Engine is not original, though I'm told correct for the car and runs well. Paint is certainly not original, and the interior has been redone (very nice, but not to stock). And though I think they look nice, I'm pretty sure Ford never offered this car with white wall tires. So, the "all original" thing is out the window. Assuming the car runs well and drives nice, what sort of value would you place on the car (the asking price is $8K)? Also, it has a passenger side spare as well as a rear mounted spare - was this normal? And, last but not least, is there anything in particular that I should look for when inspecting this particular model?

You're input is greatly appreciated. Should we end up as the proud new owners I'm sure you'll be hearing from me quite a bit!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5667.jpg (67.0 KB, 780 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5669.jpg (57.0 KB, 689 views)
Rocketdog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 02:28 PM   #2
Steve_Mack_CT

Default Re: Going to look tomorrow, need advice

Welcome to the barn. Depends on what you are looking for in a first model A. Lots of small changes on that one that may not make it the right choice for a high point car, but maybe a decent first A you might enjoy while making some changes, or not, again depending on your own goals. Basic car is a Murray bodied slant window sedan, a nice model. Paint, sealed beam headlights, nice but later wheels and interior all point to someone who wanted to personalize the car to their taste. Those can be tough to resell and usually won't sell for as much as a car closer to stock. I would look to see how it is mechanically, what's been done does look ok, maybe they handledon't mechanical side also.
Old 04-28-2016, 02:37 PM   #3
Rocketdog1

Thanks for the thoughts. I'm really interested in your basic "Sunday Breakfast" sort of a car. I'm not concerned about little issues that might cost me points at a show, just looking for a decent A to tool around in on a nice summer day. So the headlights and wheels aren't original either?
Old 04-28-2016, 02:39 PM   #4
Steve_Mack_CT

One more thing, the issue with a car like this is it is neither fish nor fowl, in other words a less than perfect original or more faithful old restoration or a traditional hot rod, if one is going to modify, will find a buyer a lot faster than a car like this. That said it seems reasonable in terms of price if you can use it pretty much as is. Sedans are nice, imo. Good luck with your decision keep us posted!
Old 04-28-2016, 02:40 PM   #5
Steve_Mack_CT

Look like 16 inch v8 wheels, but that's not necessarily bad, very common on these cars for a little better ride and tire contact. Others I am sure will chime in! :-)
Old 04-28-2016, 02:46 PM   #6
Charlie Stephens

I always liked the '31 4 door slant window because they have a lot less wood than the other 4 doors. I think I would get rid of the sun visor that was added to the outside above the window. The only reason I mention this is that you might want to check how much effort it would take to do this (probably the first thing I would do). Decide what you need to do to make it the car you want and then add the cost of this to the purchase price and consider if you could buy one in the shape you want. From what I can see it looks like a good car at a reasonable price but it is hard to tell from a picture. Plan on taking a lot of pictures and posting them when you return. Take a knowledgeable Model A person with you when you go to look at the car.

Charlie Stephens
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 02:50 PM   #7
sphanna

Sure looks like a great car and price for what you described as what you want. Someone has put quite a bit of money into that car and it looks like it was lovingly cared for. I can only guess that the car is mechanicly OK based on the outer appearance. If I was in the market for a car as you described for your purpose, I would definately pursue futher inspection on it.
Old 04-28-2016, 02:55 PM   #8
sphanna

By the way, since you are not interested in making it totaly original, I like the non original sun visor.
Old 04-28-2016, 02:57 PM   #9
Rocketdog1

Yeah, I thought the sun visor looked pretty OK as well......

Thanks for your thoughts.
Old 04-28-2016, 03:24 PM   #10
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.

Dont worry about the WW tires. A guy at a car show told me my Cabriolet was not original because of the WW tires and I questioned his powder coated rims. He was a powder coat freak and had powder coated everything he could. Henry also never used powder coating. I told him he couldn't wear two hats. Wayne
C26Pinelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 04:39 PM   #11
1930artdeco

Welcome to the barn! Other things to check on-assuming they are stock:
-engine bearings if they are poured babbit.
-brakes, if there is any slop then she won't stop well especially if she still has steel drums.

Mike
Old 04-28-2016, 04:49 PM   #12
Rocketdog1

When you say "slop", what exactly are you referring to? Slop in the brake pedal, as in having to push further/harder than anticipated? Or something else?

Checking those bearings would be more in-depth than one could realistically perform on a cursory inspection / test drive - yes? I'm thinking I may just have to take the owners word and base my opinion of the engine on how it runs / sounds / gut feeling. Is there something I can do (fairly quickly) to give an idea of bearing condition that I'm not aware of?

Probably dumb questions (and I'm fairly mechanically inclined), but I've never checked out a car of this vintage and want to know what I'm looking for.

Thanks!
Old 04-28-2016, 05:02 PM   #13
Mitch//pa
BANNED

Look in the gas tank fill with a flashlight for rust or other junk. Contaminated tanks in these are a PIA very important,,,
Make sure the engine oil is clear and not milky
See if it has shocks ,,, many cars are missing them ,,, that's a G right there
Look for a bad oil leak at the rear main area...
Steering with a lot of play like 2-4 inches or more could mean box or frt end issues....
Follow the hood alignment line down the cowl many of these cars have frame sag
Feel clutch for chatter
The brakes should stop the car quickly and the pedal should not go down to the floor on a panic stop...brake systems in these cars are expensive
Make sure all the doors close evenly and nicely
Maybe you can post pics under the hood from both sides when you are there and the undercarriage frt and rear
Ask if it's still positive 6 volt ground
Stock wiring in these are in looms and it shouldn't look like a birds nest / fire hazard
Make sure where the collumn mounts to the fuel tank that you don't see any fuel stains there..another PIA
See if they run antifreeze or water...

One last thing and I hope you don't think I'm a dick but I am giving you my personal opinion which may vary from others...
This car is not my cup of tea due to the fenders are not black and the body color is not appealing to me. The interior material is totally redone from the way these cars should look.. That being said yes anything can be fixed but I would rather spend a little more to get something more correct.
Good luck on your decision

Last edited by Mitch//pa; 04-28-2016 at 05:17 PM.
Mitch//pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 05:07 PM   #14
Barber31

Welcome to the barn! I recently saw this vehicle listed on Craigslist. You must be in Texas? Good luck with the purchase. My personal opinion is you won't really know how well she is put together till you spend plenty of time inspecting every aspect of it. Something that cannot be done thoroughly in a quick sale. Its basically a matter of is it worth 8k to you.
Barber31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 05:42 PM   #15
Rocketdog1

Mitch-

No offense taken at all - different strokes, right? Since I'm not currently subscribing to the "keep it bone stock" mantra, the little things that aren't absolutely original don't really bother me. Again, we're just looking for a nice looking A to putt around in when the sun comes out - and this one looked to fit the bill. I was just looking for learned opinions on approximate value (re: is the seller in the ballpark).

I really do appreciate all of the tips on what to look for.

Thanks again!
Old 04-28-2016, 05:50 PM   #16
Tom Wesenberg

The paint and upholstery isn't my cup of tea either, but the nice thing is that this is a steel framed body, rather than wood framed as on earlier models. Also, I like sedans because of the comfort and room inside, and you can keep your possessions locked up.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 05:53 PM   #17
Ross/Kzoo

Rocketdog1, you don't state where you are located. Maybe someone from the Barn could go with you check it out. For the price it seems reasonable from the pictures however I didn't know May Kay was around in the 30's.
Ross/Kzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 06:04 PM   #18
CarlG

That sunvisor is the bees knees. If I were ever able to get a SW, I would have to get a sunvisor put on it. Looks nekked without it.
Model A Restorers Club
Antique Automobile Club of America
Mullins Owner's Club
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 06:06 PM   #19
Big hammer

8k asking they probably would take less! I don't think 8k you would get hurt. Maybe take someone else with you to look for bad things because it sound like you really want it! Good Luck with your first model A and Wecome to the barn! P.S. We all like pictures
Big hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 07:10 PM   #20
1930artdeco

By slop I mean worn Clevis pins and bushings in the brake system. This is relatively easy to find out by crawling under the car and literally shaking things. If the brake rods move forwards or back or up and down then the pins are worn. If the brake actuating levers move within the bushings or (in the case of the fronts) not about 15 degrees forward of center they are probably worn. the system itself is not hard to rebuild or costly-until you get to the drums.

These cars came with steel drums which were not meant to be turned. And your brakes will fade fast when hot. Most people replace them with cast iron drums which resist fading and wear better.

As far as the bearings go to get a really accurate picture the pan has to be dropped. But you can remove a plug strap and listen with a stethoscope or screw driver to each cylinder for any thumping noises.

Good luck and if you can take someone with you. Also remember these cars don't have synchros in the tranny so you have to double clutch.

Mike
Old 04-28-2016, 07:20 PM   #21
jeep44

Get under the car with a good flashlight-was the owner a "cosmetics" guy, or did he get under the car with a grease gun on a regular basis?
jeep44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 07:39 PM   #22
Terry, NJ

OK, I see it has a visor therefore it's not what popularly known as a "Slant windshield". Without going into great detail, the SW have far less wood in the frame of then body. Yes Ford built the model A body over a wooden frame. This wood can be very good or very bad depending on how the car spent it's last 80+ years. I'm doing one now so I am very familiar with what they can be like. It's a whole lumberyard of custom shapes and sizes. Otherwise, go with what Mitch said.
Terry
Terry, NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 01:18 AM   #23
burner31

I must disagree with some on here about that sunvisor, does not belong on a '31 SW.
If you want a sunvisor, get a '30.
Have to agree with most, the color is not pleasing, and those fenders have got to be black.
The front fender lights have got to go.
If it runs well, stops well and the lights and gauges all work, I say $8K is not a bad price, but I must agree with others on this, you can talk him down a grand.
Take someone who know A's with you, can save you a lot of heart ache down the road.
burner31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 01:21 AM   #24
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Runs, stops, 8k, take it!
Old 04-29-2016, 05:48 AM   #25
DougT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketdog1 View Post

I'm thinking I may just have to take the owners word and base my opinion of the engine on how it runs / sounds / gut feeling.
Thanks!
With the owner calling this "all original", it would make me question anything he told me.
DougT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 07:18 AM   #26
Dollar Bill

I'm with Mike, appears to be a solid car and the price seems within reason providing the road test checks out.

As others have clearly pointed out, it is far from original. The mods have not detracted from the basic car. But that doesn't seem to be an issue for you and that's okay. Some get a little too carried away if it's not just the way Henry made it ��. If it's your car and you're happy with it, that's all that matters.

BTW, I like the visor.
Old 04-29-2016, 07:59 AM   #27
Dick Deegan

It all depends upon what pleases you. It may not be "original", but very few Model A's are "truly" original. I would take this car in a heartbeat if the mechanical's are OK. The fenders are easily painted black if that is what you would like. The interior is not original, but seems to be well done and very pleasant. I personally really like the '35 wheels. If I could find a car like that in Canada it would be mine.
Dick Deegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 08:18 AM   #28
captndan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike V. Florida View Post
Runs, stops, 8k, take it!
This is not going to be a points car. It's a fun to drive car. And like Mike said buy it!
captndan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 08:39 AM   #29
Steve_Mack_CT

Interesting opinions for sure. Great advice from Mitch who listed a lot of the key mechanical concerns. I might ask myself these questions on this car (or any other Model A or collector car for that matter)

1) Do you anticipate touring a lot in it, I know you mention it as a "Sunday morning go to breakfast car" which is great, but do you see yourself joining a Model A club or maybe AACA and doing some distance runs? If so, some mods such as the V=8 wheels might be a positive. Research these a bit, this car has some of those touches but no way to tell about mechanics.

2) How big is your family? Sedans are handy - but if there are only say two of you, other body styles give you a little more choice when shopping.

3) What is your budget - IMHO, if it is just a little more, say $10K, you have a lot of choices if patient. Look at the coupe "Garagekulture" just listed, for example. I know I would opt for that car for another $2 grand more or less assuming both are in relatively good mechanical order.

4) I firmly believe cars at this level are not an investment, but plans change, etc. These are great prewar cars for new hobbyists in part because they are so popular. Take your time, if this is the first A you have looked at, think on it a bit before pulling the trigger. FWIW price is ok, but not a screaming deal. Consider resale. If it has been for sale for a while at $8K, then that tells you the market for this particular car at this time in your area. Just something to think about.

Just putting out some food for thought, oh, join MARC and/or MAFCA, you can find your local region for either national club online - if you place a call to them you might get lucky and either enlist help to see this car/others or learn of a club member's car that is available.

You mention being mechanically inclined, you will learn a lot about these cars in no time - they are a LOT of fun for the $$.

Last edited by Steve_Mack_CT; 04-29-2016 at 08:44 AM. Reason: clarity
Steve_Mack_CT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 08:53 AM   #30
mshmodela

Thumbs up Re: Going to look tomorrow, need advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch//pa View Post
Look in the gas tank fill with a flashlight for rust or other junk. Contaminated tanks in these are a PIA very important,,,
Make sure the engine oil is clear and not milky
See if it has shocks ,,, many cars are missing them ,,, that's a G right there
Look for a bad oil leak at the rear main area...
Steering with a lot of play like 2-4 inches or more could mean box or frt end issues....
Follow the hood alignment line down the cowl many of these cars have frame sag
Feel clutch for chatter
The brakes should stop the car quickly and the pedal should not go down to the floor on a panic stop...brake systems in these cars are expensive
Make sure all the doors close evenly and nicely
Maybe you can post pics under the hood from both sides when you are there and the undercarriage frt and rear
Ask if it's still positive 6 volt ground
Stock wiring in these are in looms and it shouldn't look like a birds nest / fire hazard
Make sure where the collumn mounts to the fuel tank that you don't see any fuel stains there..another PIA
See if they run antifreeze or water...

One last thing and I hope you don't think I'm a dick but I am giving you my personal opinion which may vary from others...
This car is not my cup of tea due to the fenders are not black and the body color is not appealing to me. The interior material is totally redone from the way these cars should look.. That being said yes anything can be fixed but I would rather spend a little more to get something more correct.
Good luck on your decision

Stating one's preference is not being a dick...

Late 31' Ford Model A Tudor, Miss Daisy

I don't work on cars --I'm learning about my Model A.

Cleveland, Ohio
mshmodela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 09:40 AM   #31
Mitch//pa
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by mshmodela View Post
Stating one's preference is not being a dick...
If the poster had already purchased it, I would not have said anthything about how the cosmetic restoration appeals to me.. I don't think that would be appropriate

Last edited by Mitch//pa; 04-29-2016 at 11:57 AM.
Old 04-29-2016, 10:04 AM   #32
Keith True

That car will sell because of the paint,not in spite of it.Somebodys wife and kids will see the red wheels,whitewall tires,shiny paint,and dad will buy it because it makes the whole family happy.That car will be just as much fun with tan fenders as black,same with the wheels and visor.We can pick it apart all day long,but the bottom line with that car is it's pretty,and that will sell it.
Keith True is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 10:16 AM   #33
Steve_Mack_CT

Keith it is really hard to argue with that logic. If OP ends up with it or someone else does I hope it is that kind of story.

Love that roadster, BTW.
Old 04-29-2016, 10:43 AM   #34
Jacksonlll

Send a message via ICQ to Jacksonlll

Here is a video on this subject. JACK

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8xkA...rIa0r_fFQcz4R0
Jacksonlll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 01:02 PM   #35
Steve_Mack_CT

Here is another example of the same year and model for comparison purposes, if for no other reason than to help OP learn more and compare apples to apples.

http://forums.aaca.org/topic/276198-...-a-town-sedan/

Different price range but it seemed like it made sense to post as this looks like a pretty "correct" car to me. (Note to self, consider selling some stuff to buy more Model As..)
Old 04-29-2016, 02:40 PM   #36
larryf

Price looks good for the car
larryf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 06:22 PM   #37
Badge109

Great looking A for the money! Obviously as those far more educated than I have stated, it's definitely not original. But wow what a great car to take out for a cruise! If it's a solid car, you can enjoy it as is, or take it any direction you want. There seem to be many places to find parts for these cars, whether online, in a catalog, or at shows, etc.

My wife and I haven't started looking yet for one, but I wouldn't be opposed to a car like this. Especially for the price.
Badge109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 06:43 PM   #38
harleynut

Just judging by the pictures, someone spent a lot of money on it. In my neck of the woods you don't get much for 8K.
harleynut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 08:07 PM   #39
CarlG

Well, did the OP buy it
Model A Restorers Club
Mullins Owner's Club
Old 04-29-2016, 08:48 PM   #40
Synchro909

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlG View Post
Well, did the OP buy it
I just came back to this thread to find out. Still don't know.
Old 04-29-2016, 10:35 PM   #41
mshmodela

If it runs for 8k that's winner...

Late 31' Ford Model A Tudor, Miss Daisy

I don't work on cars --I'm learning about my Model A.

Cleveland, Ohio
mshmodela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 09:02 AM   #42
RichardW

On the 28th you were going look "tomorrow." Today it the 30th, I am wondering did you get it? Personally I like to SW cars and if I ever had to start over that is what I'd do. I am not a purist but I'd have to do something about the color. Maybe even just paint the fenders black. I did a little photoshop work of what I'd do. Even I could make these changes without breaking the bank.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 31 sw fixed.jpg (197.2 KB, 94 views)
RichardW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 09:47 AM   #43
burner31

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardW View Post
On the 28th you were going look "tomorrow." Today it the 30th, I am wondering did you get it? Personally I like to SW cars and if I ever had to start over that is what I'd do. I am not a purist but I'd have to do something about the color. Maybe even just paint the fenders black. I did a little photoshop work of what I'd do. Even I could make these changes without breaking the bank.
Yep, that's better, but now it kind of looks like a Taxi.
I too am curious as to what the outcome was.
After driving it and eyeballing everything I would, being the cheap old man that I am, start my offer at 7K, but would come up to 8K if if the car checked out and the owner stood his ground.
8K for a running and sound '31 SW is a good buy...in my book.
Cosmetics can always be changed, but a good base is required.

And it's a Murray body to boot.
Old 04-30-2016, 11:33 AM   #44
Tom Wesenberg

Without close inspection for small details, it hard to know if it's built by Murray or Briggs, as they look identical. Ford wanted the slant sedans to look alike, and it's nice they chose the arched windows.
Old 04-30-2016, 12:17 PM   #45
Rocketdog1

OK all, time to end the suspense......

We're officially part of the family!!!

Sorry that I didn't post something up yesterday, but the 7-8 hour round trip turned into a 14 hour marathon thanks to a blown tire on the U-Haul trailer, but that's a whole 'nother story.

She's what most would call a solid "20-footer". An up close inspection reveals some cosmetic issues and a less than premier paint job - but I figure I'll probably have similar issues when I'm 85 years old so I can live with that. Mechanically, there are some things that need attention, but again, if she was perfect it would have been way out of my price range.

I haven't ever driven something of this vintage, so I wasn't sure what to expect. She's pretty rudimentary compared to everything I've ever driven - but what a blast! Toddles down the road at 40mph without a care (by cell phone GPS as speedo is not working). I would've wound her up a bit more, but not being familiar with the car I felt caution was prudent. Engine seems to run fine, though I'll need to get familiar with how to handle the manual spark advance and fuel mixture. Trans feel tight, as does the clutch. Brakes are fair, though a panic situation would be enough to cause concern. Steering has a bit of play, but again wiithout any real reference as to what's "normal" in these things it may just be a case of me getting used to it. The interior is really, really nice. Though obviously not stock, someone spent some coin having the interior redone. All the glass is good, and all of the lights work.

So there ya go. We have taken the plunge into a whole new world. Which is cool - I needed a hobby. I'm thinking this is a pretty good start for $6500.

I'll no doubt be bugging the hell out of all of you for info and tips as we get into the little things that need attention, and for that I'll thank you in advance. BTW - I believe it's a Murray body.

Which reminds me, my generator doesn't appear to be generatin'. Thoughts? Ah, don't worry about it yet. I'll surf the archives or start a new thread if I can't figure it out.

Let the journey begin. I'll post up some pics when I get a chance. And FWIW, the color is "Coral White" (there's some touch up included with the car) and it really does look better in person. For some reason it doesn't come through well in photos.

Last edited by Rocketdog1; 04-30-2016 at 12:44 PM.
Old 04-30-2016, 12:22 PM   #46
Bob C

OK, now we need lots of pictures.

Bob
Bob C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 12:26 PM   #47
Mitch//pa
BANNED

Congratulations and an even better price... Read through this owners manual if you have not already.. It will give you a good idea on basic operation..
http://www.motormayhem.net/wp-upload...ion-Manual.pdf
Old 04-30-2016, 12:44 PM   #48
Rocketdog1

Thanks Mitch! Very cool stuff.
Old 04-30-2016, 12:56 PM   #49
Dollar Bill

Congratulations and welcome to the family!!!

We need photos of your new baby!
Old 04-30-2016, 02:28 PM   #50
burner31

$6500!!! Damn good job.
Don't let no one tell you different.
Your ahead of the game already.
Have fun and enjoy.

Zooming in best I can on the drip rail indicates to me she's a Murray, a closer examine may prove me wrong, or a better picture, but I'm pretty sure.
Mine is a Murray, so I'm kind of "slanted" towards them.
Old 04-30-2016, 03:24 PM   #51
C26Pinelake
BANNED

Location: Michigan / Ontario border, Sarnia, Ontario. 50 miles from Detroit and 150 from Toronto.

Congratulations! Use your bartered money left over to do necessary repairs. Wait until the winter to do cosmetic stuff. Drive it all summer and have the time of your life. I have cars in my collection worth ten times as much as my Model A cars but the A's are still my favorite. Wayne.
C26Pinelake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 04:26 PM   #52
Art Newland

Very cool rocketdog, congrats on the new member of the family. Looks like you got a steal-of-a-deal!
Art Newland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 04:29 PM   #53
CarlG

Congratulations on your "steal"! I really like the sun visor on the SW.

FWIW: Look what you could have had for $5K:

http://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=195351
Model A Restorers Club
Mullins Owner's Club
Old 04-30-2016, 04:53 PM   #54
Synchro909

I can't believe you guys can pick up a car like that for $6,500. You'd have to use a kack hammer to take the smile off my face if it were mine at that price.
Congratulations, Rcketdog. Oh, and "Welcome to our world".
Old 04-30-2016, 07:51 PM   #55
1931 flamingo

Good for you ! ! ! You stole it, even if you put 1/2 that back into it. JMO
Try using the search function first, if no luck, ask away. Oh, we all like pictures.
Welcome ! ! !

Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 08:18 PM   #56
Lance in St Louis

That looks like a fun car for you. One little piece of advice. MAKE SURE THE SPARK AVANCE LEVER IS ALL THE WAY UP WHEN STARTING.

Lance
Lance in St Louis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 10:10 AM   #57
Tom F OHIO

That is really a nice looking car. You can putt around in that and wave to all the people that like it and wished it was theirs. If you have any small children in the back seat make sure you seat belt the car seat in for safety.
Have fun. Tom.......
Tom F OHIO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 10:25 AM   #58
burner31

Easy way for pics:
Click the "blue post reply" lower left bottom of page, when text box opens, in the top middle of the bar you will see a "paperclip" click that, a window will open "manage attachments" click "choose file" then pick your picture, after you picked up to seven pics click the top "upload" on the right hand side of the text box, wait for it to upload.
You must type something, anything into the text box message, scroll down to see "preview post" at bottom of your text box, you should see your message as it will appear when you post, if you like it click "submit reply" to post.
Easy-cheesy
Old 05-01-2016, 10:55 AM   #59
Rocketdog1

Thanks for the tutorial....I'll assume that's a hint?

Old 05-01-2016, 12:07 PM   #60
Rocketdog1

OK, after messing around with the pic size to get them to post, here's batch one of the new addition to the garage. The bricks are a precaution as our driveway is rather steep, and though the e-brake works, I still don't trust it just yet. I'm sure my neighbor across the street would love to own this car, I'm fairly certain he doesn't want it in his living room!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20160429_142525b.jpg (156.9 KB, 173 views)
File Type: jpg 20160501_092357b.jpg (32.8 KB, 156 views)
File Type: jpg 20160501_092409b.jpg (174.5 KB, 149 views)
File Type: jpg 20160501_092604b.jpg (26.7 KB, 144 views)
File Type: jpg 20160501_092639b.jpg (170.7 KB, 162 views)
File Type: jpg 20160501_092704b.jpg (148.1 KB, 183 views)
Old 05-01-2016, 12:13 PM   #61
Rocketdog1

Batch #2. If there is anything you'd like a specific pic of, just let me know and I'd be happy to make that happen.

I would've posted pics yesterday, but frankly we were too busy putting all over town in the sunshine and taking friends and family for a cruise. Exactly what we bought the car for in the first place. I'm going to need Synchro909's jack hammer myself.....

As far as the U-Haul trailer is concerned, I'll just say this for now - DON'T TRUST THAT THEY WILL HAVE THE TIRES PROPERLY INFLATED!!! Check them yourself prior to departure and avoid a serious problem.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20160501_092504b.jpg (27.7 KB, 128 views)
File Type: jpg 20160501_092448b.jpg (20.6 KB, 129 views)
File Type: jpg 20160501_092521b.jpg (126.0 KB, 123 views)
File Type: jpg 20160501_092532b.jpg (33.4 KB, 121 views)
File Type: jpg 20160501_092543b.jpg (20.7 KB, 129 views)
Old 05-01-2016, 12:47 PM   #62
Bill Wright

That's a nice car!
I wish you BIG FUN!!
Bill Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 12:57 PM   #63
Mitch//pa
BANNED

I always chock my wheel in the driveway which is not that steep... Never trust the e brake the teeth in the handle can slip and disengage. I sometimes carry a chock with me in the car or look for a rock if I leave it at home
Old 05-01-2016, 01:28 PM   #64
Art Newland

NICE!
Looks you could hold a dance in there compared to my coupe.
Old 05-01-2016, 01:34 PM   #65
Tom Wesenberg

You have a late 31 with the indented firewall, but the engine appears to be earlier with the higher oil return pipe, and the oil pan looks like it might have the plate on the bottom to remove the oil pump. That one picture was hard to make out exactly what was on the bottom.

When you get time, I'd ditch the rubber fuel line and use the original style steel line. The rubber can break down and plug the carb.

Looks like you made a good buy.

Last edited by Tom Wesenberg; 05-01-2016 at 01:43 PM.
Old 05-01-2016, 01:36 PM   #66
Pilotdave

Rocketdog, you done good! You may have posted your location earlier, but suggest you edit your profile to include city/state. Makes it easier for Model A guys to drop by to lend a hand if needed! Hopefully there's a local Model A club to investigate/join. Wonderful way to find some great new friends.

Good tip on the trailer - probably good advice for any "borrowed" transportation.

Enjoy that car!!
Pilotdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 04:29 PM   #67
burner31

Does that back seat have a center arm rest?
Old 05-01-2016, 06:41 PM   #68
Rocketdog1

Yes, it does have a fold down arm rest.

And 17" wheels. Any thoughts on what year those things came off of??
Old 05-01-2016, 07:20 PM   #69
CarlG

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketdog1 View Post
yes, it does have a fold down arm rest.

And 17" wheels. Any thoughts on what year those things came off of??
1933-34
Model A Restorers Club
Mullins Owner's Club

Last edited by CarlG; 05-01-2016 at 07:26 PM.
Old 05-01-2016, 07:53 PM   #70
Tom Wesenberg

The fold down arm rest may have come from a 1930 or early 31, as the slants didn't have them. Wish they did because I also have a 31 slant sedan.
Old 05-01-2016, 09:50 PM   #71
sphanna

I like your car. It is unique. I would not in any way be disappointed because it is not original. The interior is very nice and i like the visor. Even the color is not a negative since you are not a purist. I wouldn't change a thing at this time. The price is one of the best buys I've seen. Don't let anyone spoil your joy by criticizing your car.
Old 05-01-2016, 11:02 PM   #72
Rocketdog1

Thank you for the kind words. I'm not disappointed in any way by the fact that it's not as Henry built it. I understand the purist's point of view, and if that's what puts the grin on their face, then I think that's fantastic. Myself, I just enjoy putting around town in something that's been through 85 years of history, and watching people's eyes light up when we drive by. My in-laws, both in their 70's, were giddy as schoolkids when we piled them in and went for a cruise downtown. Unlike most of what's built today, these cars have personality and class - even if they're not 100% original.

I'm looking forward to puttering around with it, fixing what's busted, and making it "ours".

At least when I get stumped by something, I know where to turn.....
Old 05-01-2016, 11:30 PM   #73
1930artdeco

Rocket, congratulations on bring home your new baby. I noticed a few things you may want to check on:

The carb is a TIllotson which is a good carb. But they are prone to warping (and leaking fuel) due to heat from the engine. To fix that sand the two halves lightly and that should fix the fuel leakage problem.

Also, is that a grease cup on the intake manifold? If you have a two blade fan have it checked VERY VERY carefully as they have the unfortunate tendancy to come apart and open up radiators, hoods and you head if you are standing next to it when it comes apart.

Great job though,

Mike
Old 05-01-2016, 11:57 PM   #74
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by burner31 View Post
$6500!!! Damn good job.
Don't let no one tell you different.
Your ahead of the game already.
Have fun and enjoy.
Hell Yea, great buy at 6500!!!

Now get some books.

Start with the instruction manual, then Les Andrews red book, service bulletins in the 8 1/2 x 11 version.

While it is a driver and not a show car it would not hurt to get the Restoration Guidelines as well after all it is often as easy to replace a bad part with the "correct" one as it is to replace it with the "wrong" one. It could also be fun to see all the parts from different cars that were used to make yours.
Old 05-02-2016, 12:04 AM   #75
TonyM

Good luck with the car.
TonyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 07:01 AM   #76
Steve_Mack_CT

Congrats on negotiating a nice price and from the sounds of it you are able to enjoy immediately! Happy motoring!
Old 05-02-2016, 08:34 AM   #77
1930marie

Keep in mind that you are going to be the service garage for what ever car you pick. Yes, you will need to have basic mechanical knowledge too maintain your car in safe and working order. Join a club and buy one that has a known history and has been well maintained and you will spare yourself alot of grief.
Old 05-02-2016, 08:56 AM   #78
Bruce Adams

Very nice looking car. While many might look down on the "customized approach," it appears to have been done with an eye towards beauty and there is no need to try to make it more original at this time.
BUT
PLEASE replace the rubber fuel line with a stainless steel line. You can fabricate your own from 1/4" brake line or purchase the fuel line that goes with that late 1931 indented firewall & filter set up. It is available from MIKES A FORDABLE or maybe BRATTON'S from their catalog or web sites. You do not want rubber fuel line close to the nearly red hot exhaust manifold. I would think since the external filter was added, you might expect a dirty tank. Keep an eye on that filter and learn how to clean it. Maybe purchase a spare filter insert. I believe its from a 1957 ford fuel filter. Best of Luck with your beautiful new car !
Bruce Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 09:21 AM   #79
Rocketdog1

Thanks for the tip on the fuel line (you're the second person to mention that I believe). It'll be at the top of the "to-do" list for sure.

Being the "service department" for this car is actually one of the things I'm looking forward to. I usually turn my own wrench on all of my cars (unless it involves any of that computerized stuff), so I'm fairly confident I can handle anything this car may throw at me.
Old 05-02-2016, 10:05 AM   #80
Art Newland

I live in the county just outside Ferndale... we gotta hook up!
Old 05-02-2016, 10:10 AM   #81
Rocketdog1

Art - I sent you a PM.
Old 05-02-2016, 10:57 AM   #82
Mitch//pa
BANNED

Back In CB days we called that an "eyeball"
Old 05-02-2016, 11:19 AM   #83
Charlie Stephens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketdog1 View Post
Thanks for the tip on the fuel line (you're the second person to mention that I believe). It'll be at the top of the "to-do" list for sure.

Being the "service department" for this car is actually one of the things I'm looking forward to. I usually turn my own wrench on all of my cars (unless it involves any of that computerized stuff), so I'm fairly confident I can handle anything this car may throw at me.
The service is pretty much the same as a modern car but there a couple of things to watch for. Hope that others will add any that I missed:
1. Frequently there will be an cup for engine oil on the generator and distributer.
2. If you pump too much grease into the water pump it will end up in the cooling system. I like to use chassis grease but some recommend waterproof grease. The later, in my opinion, plugs up the radiator.
3. If you pump too much grease into the fitting on the underside of the rear axle housing it will end up on the brakes.
4. If you need to remove a rear brake drum spend the money and get a good puller (see archives). Axles are expensive.
5.Put a couple of drops of engine oil into the recesses on the throttle shaft as it passes behind the engine. The lubrication chart in my instruction book actually misses this lubrication point.
6. There is a lubrication chart in the "Instruction Book" that came with the car. If you don't have one, buy one. With all of the mechanical brake parts there is a ton of fittings.

Charlie Stephens
Charlie Stephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 11:45 AM   #84
Rocketdog1

Cool! Thanks for the tips Charlie, I really appreciate it.

Old 05-02-2016, 12:49 PM   #85
Art Newland

Another B'Hammer I'll have to introduce you to.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Mikes A small.jpg (106.5 KB, 66 views)
Old 04-03-2018, 07:09 PM   #86
Kevin Davis

Hello, I am working on a 34 BB dump truck and am in need of front brake actuator arms , can you help me please. Thanks Kev
Kevin Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 08:48 PM   #87
goodcar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_Mack_CT View Post
Welcome to the barn. Depends on what you are looking for in a first model A. Lots of small changes on that one that may not make it the right choice for a high point car, but maybe a decent first A you might enjoy while making some changes, or not, again depending on your own goals. Basic car is a Murray bodied slant window sedan, a nice model. Paint, sealed beam headlights, nice but later wheels and interior all point to someone who wanted to personalize the car to their taste. Those can be tough to resell and usually won't sell for as much as a car closer to stock. I would look to see how it is mechanically, what's been done does look ok, maybe they handledon't mechanical side also.
This particular car may be a '31 but definitely not a slant window model.
goodcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 09:05 PM   #88
goodcar

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodcar View Post
This particular car may be a '31 but definitely not a slant window model.
OK, looked at the latest photos, it is a slant but visor has to go.
goodcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 06:59 AM   #89
john charlton

There is one thing I do to check to see if a car has been "loved" in its past . I check the front spring shackles ,there should be a gap of about 1/4" or thereabouts between the the bottom of the shackle and the axle . If the running gear of the car has been neglected the shackles and bushes can be so worn that the shackle is resting on the axle . This will mean that regular greasing has been neglected and there will be wear in the clevises ,brake cross shafts,wheel bearings etc etc . All an easy fix anyway . You STOLE THAT CAR !!! best ever family car and with that interior you can take Fido !!! ( wuff wuff )

For Kevin the BB front brake levers should be the same for AA the part number is BB -2084 was AA- 2084 which normally means they are the same .This is from an English parts book current for January 1935 . I think I have these in the "stores",I will check .

John in lovely sunny day Suffolk County England .

Last edited by john charlton; 04-04-2018 at 01:21 PM.
john charlton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 06:03 PM   #90
Dutie

Hello Rocketdog 1
Such an outpouring of great advice...NO. Great forum. I also like the car. Cant say you did not know what to look for. GOOD LUCK Dutie.
Dutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 07:30 PM   #91
Clem Clement

Well, didja grab her??
Clem Clement is offline   Reply With Quote