Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-12-2012, 10:01 AM   #21
jimvette59

Default Re: Clutch Thrust ("Throw-Out") Bearing Lube

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earle View Post
It seems that you can't lubricate the clutch throw-out bearing in service. If it ever starts acting up you have to remove the rear end, transmission and bell-housing just to get to it. Not very smart "maintainability" design on Henry's part for such a critical item as this is.

Note apparently conflicting service literature:....

The large vintage-looking "MODEL A LUBRICATION CHART" by Don Walker points to the hand access cover on the bell housing as the location for lubricating the clutch thrust bearing via the adjacent grease fitting on the slider (hub) every 2000 miles.

BUT - Les Andrews' "MODEL A FORD MECHANIC'S HANDBOOK, VOL 1" clearly states that the grease fitting on the thrust bearing slider DOES NOT lubricate the bearing, only the slider (page 1-320).

Trusting Les Andrews, I suspect that the LUBE CHART is in error.

So is the throw-out bearing "permanently lubricated" and "never" needs greasing/packing?

Approximately how many miles should this bearing last?

Has anyone had success in getting grease into this bearing as a preventative servicing measure without having to tear the whole drive train apart??

Insights appreciated.

Earle

P.S. Remember - standing at a red light with the clutch pedal fully depressed is directly loading and spinning the throw-out bearing and using up its precious service life! I have recently changed my old habbit to stop doing this - even if it takes a second or two longer to get into first gear when the light turns green.
If I remember correctly there is a early ford with a grease fitting out side of the bell housing and a line going to the T/B. ????
jimvette59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 12:08 PM   #22
pat in Santa Cruz

earlier TO bearings had a split race inside. The grease from the hub fitting would go up that split from the shaft into the bearing. Most of today's TO bearings I have seen are sealed. With those, greasing the hub only lubes the shaft.
pat in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 08:52 PM   #23
columbiA

All the TO brgs Ive seen in recent years were sealed.The 32-34 fords used grease cup on cover plate with hose to TO brg hub.
columbiA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 10:33 PM   #24
1931 flamingo

I've been following this here and ahooga (same question asked there). The chances of a good t/out brg and one recently replaced with a sealed one going bad in my lifetime (or yours) even if constantly turning is improbable. JMO
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 07:26 AM   #25
Earle

Going bad in our lifetimes may be improbable, but that's true ONLY if the bearing remains properly lubricated. And that's the subject of this whole discussion....
Earle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 09:09 AM   #26
1931 flamingo

Do you think that for the past 80+ years they've all been lubed every 500 miles?? How many fellows have replaced a BAD t/out brg in the past 10 years??
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 04:50 PM   #27
Jerry Parr WI

The bearing hub has an area from the grease fitting to the bearing that is relieved slightly larger inside than the fitting end. At the bearing there are holes that allow the grease to travel to the inside of the bearing. Grease from the fitting travels between the bearing hub and the transmission shaft housing into the bearing. Not sure if current production are sealed bearings but I checked a new old stock bearing and it is open to the grease holes.
Jerry Parr WI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 05:02 PM   #28
Fred K-OR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Wastler View Post
Ok, I just have to ask, if there are numerous mistakes in Les' manuals, why do so many push them as the best? I have a fairly extensive model a library, books, mags, newsletters, SIG newsletters, etc. I have never felt the need for his manuals, actually they are most likely the only books I don't have. I had recently been thinking about getting them, Are they worth adding to the library?
Yes at least the Book I.
Fred K-OR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 06:56 PM   #29
CarlG

I have all 3, and my frequency of use is in the same order as they are numbered.
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote