Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-24-2011, 11:27 AM   #1
Earle

Default Starter Bendix Problem?

Gents, Recently, when starting the car ('31 roadster) the starter wants to disengage from the flywheel prematurely before the enging catches and starts. It engages the flywheel OK but just won't hang in there long enough to keep cranking as I hold my foot in the starter button. It's hit-and-miss as to whether I'll get the engine started or not with repeated attempts.

Is there something obvious I can look for in the Bendix assembly when I remove the starter that will tell me what's wrong? Or, by the symptoms I've described, is there a part in the Bendix I can pre-emptively replace (spring? pinion gear? etc.?) for a positive fix?

OR - is the Bendix not reparable (riveted/swaged together, etc.) and can only be replaced?

Thanks for any help....

Earle
Earle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 11:43 AM   #2
1931 flamingo

Default Re: Starter Bendix Problem?

What does your flywheel ring gear look like ?? It's possible some teeth may be worn or missing.
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 11:51 AM   #3
western77

The bendix consist of two pieces and is coupled together with a spring. The bolts that hold the spring can come loose and cause this. The spring can break and cause this or one of the tads that lock the two haves together can also break and cause this. My advice is to order a new drive assemby and replace the hole thing for $25 and be done with it. JB
western77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 12:49 PM   #4
Wick

Check your ring gear teeth. The ring gear will have two places on it where the bendix engagues and wears it down. Its also possible a long time ago someone removed the ring gear (because of worn teeth) and rotated it some then reinstalled it. This would have been a cheep fix. If there is a new viberation,flywheel could be loose.
Wick
Wick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 03:25 PM   #5
1931 flamingo

Also it's possible for the ring gear to "walk" back if it's loosened and/or isn't "pinned to the flywheel.
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 04:09 PM   #6
Clem Clement

Sumthin aint' right. Look into it. The laws of physics are against it coming out early. Remove the starter and clean and inspect. It should be obvious what is wrong.
Clem Clement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 08:07 PM   #7
Tom Wesenberg

I've seen this happen on newer drives that use rollers on ramps, but I haven't seen it happen with the Model A bendix. I suspect you might have bad flywheel ring gear teeth.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 09:58 AM   #8
Earle

The flywheel and ring gear were "new/rebuilt/inspected" by Schwalms when Ora installed a '32 clutch assembly and turned down the flywheel to lighten it about 3000 miles ago. I really don't think the teeth would have worn this badly in such a short time but I'll take a peek when I remove the starter.

I agree with western77 about just buying a new unit if I see a problem. I'll go to Snyders but does anyone have any experience with the quality and reliability of the "new" Bendix units being sold these days?

Maybe I'll get away with not seeing any visible problems and its only needing a thorough cleaning - soaking and brushing and blowing out with laquer thinner OK?

Does this baby need to be lubricated after cleaning - or left dry to prevent collecting dust and dirt?

Thanks, everyone...

Earle
Earle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 10:14 AM   #9
CarlG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earle View Post
...does anyone have any experience with the quality and reliability of the "new" Bendix units being sold these days? ...
I have about 2,000 miles on one of the "new" Bendix drives. That includes quite a few short trips, (ie: lots of starts) and have not had a problem.
CarlG is offline   Reply With Quote