Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-17-2021, 11:31 AM   #1
vetpenny

Default 1940 ford pickup metal floor board

In my 1940 ford pickup on the driver's side of the metal floor boards there is a circular hole which if you look down the hole you see the master cylinder. I bought a cap which I think should cover the hole, but it is too big. Does this cap suppose to fit into the hole or does it just lay on top of the hole and the rubber floor mat keeps it in place? Thanks for your help.
vetpenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2021, 11:51 AM   #2
Kube

Default Re: 1940 ford pickup metal floor board

It fits IN the hole but can be a slight task to get it fitted. I lubricate it with a little glass cleaner.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg floor aft (2).jpg (48.5 KB, 110 views)
Old 09-17-2021, 12:25 PM   #3
vetpenny

My cap seems much larger than the hole. i got my cap from C&G. Where did you get your cap from?
Old 09-17-2021, 01:17 PM   #4
Kube

Quote:
Originally Posted by vetpenny View Post
My cap seems much larger than the hole. i got my cap from C&G. Where did you get your cap from?
The same cap was used for a number of years. I probably got mine from Carpenter.
Old 09-23-2021, 09:39 AM   #5
vetpenny

I have the same floor pan that you have which I assume was the original and/or duplicate of the original floor pan. The color of the floor pan matches the body color of my pickup and I assume that yours also matches the body color. What is confusing me is that the hole in mine is too small. Do you know if the floor pan came with the hole cut out or was it done by the dealer and the cover then supplied by the dealer. Also I assume that the floor pans from Carpenter and C&G do not have the hole cut since I do not see it in the photos that they show. Finally, as you may deduce the restorations in my vehicles have been done to the original specifications as most likely has been the case for your vehicles. Thank you for your help and comments.
Old 09-23-2021, 10:58 AM   #6
Kube

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Quote:
I have the same floor pan that you have which I assume was the original and/or duplicate of the original floor pan. The color of the floor pan matches the body color of my pickup and I assume that yours also matches the body color. What is confusing me is that the hole in mine is too small. Do you know if the floor pan came with the hole cut out or was it done by the dealer and the cover then supplied by the dealer. Also I assume that the floor pans from Carpenter and C&G do not have the hole cut since I do not see it in the photos that they show. Finally, as you may deduce the restorations in my vehicles have been done to the original specifications as most likely has been the case for your vehicles. Thank you for your help and comments.
The floor pan was stamped and formed in its entirety and subsequently installed at the factory.
If the hole in your floor is too small, I might tend to believe the pan has been replaced.
I will tell ya, the plug can be a tad difficult to install. If you're expecting it to simply push in with ease, well, you're expecting too much. These were intended to offer a seal from exterior debris, etc.
Did you attempt to lubricate the rubber a bit with glass cleaner? What is the diameter of the hole in your floor pan?
Old 09-24-2021, 09:14 AM   #7
vetpenny

Thanks for your quick reply. The diameter of the hole in my floor pan is 2.75 inches which according to my correspondence with a technical staff person (Lee) at C&G antique ford parts should be 3 inches. Do you remember where you got your floor pan or was it the original floor pan that came with the truck. Also, if your floor pan was a reproduction of the original did it come with 3 inch diameter hole or did you have to cut it out. Thanks for your help.
Old 09-24-2021, 11:12 AM   #8
Vics Stuff

I just laid mine over the hole and used the floor mat to hold it down.
Vic
Vics Stuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2021, 11:38 AM   #9
Kube

Quote:
Thanks for your quick reply. The diameter of the hole in my floor pan is 2.75 inches which according to my correspondence with a technical staff person (Lee) at C&G antique ford parts should be 3 inches. Do you remember where you got your floor pan or was it the original floor pan that came with the truck. Also, if your floor pan was a reproduction of the original did it come with 3 inch diameter hole or did you have to cut it out. Thanks for your help.
I have both a coupe and a convertible "under construction" at this moment. I'd measured both and find them to be 3.00". I'm not inclined to pull the mat from the truck as that vehicle is done (fully restored).
As the identical floor cover is utilized in both the cars and pickup, I'd say the 3" diameter is correct for your truck.
My guess is your reproduction pan was not of the highest quality. Still, easy enough to open to 3" methinks.
Remember that plug should fit snugly within the opening so as to create a seal. It wasn't meant to be held in place by the floor mat.
Old 10-10-2021, 09:44 PM   #10
1941Pony

Heat gun to soften the rubber then some light grease might help you get it installed.
1941Pony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2021, 09:48 AM   #11
TJ

Try some Syl Glide. It's a silicone grease that won't harm the rubber.
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote