Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-03-2020, 07:08 PM   #41
russcc

Default Re: So much for Irish Spring and Dryer Sheets.....

I use the sonic units, and I like peppermint extract, the critters don't You have to renew the peppermint every month or so to keep it fresh. So far, so good. It's either that or mothballs, and the peppermint smells goods vs mothballs.
russcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 09:34 PM   #42
kevinanderson

I put green kool-aid or pellets in a shallow container and then place a milk crate upside down over it. Weight it down if i have too.
kevinanderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 11:00 PM   #43
petehoovie

Bait - Formula is 4 to 1...That is, mix 4 parts oatmeal with one part plaster of paris. Place bait on a dinner plate or in a shallow pan. Imagine what happens in their gut when they eat this......Bottom line is, they die. Don't let your dog eat this stuff...

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0
petehoovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 11:49 PM   #44
RalphG

The only real remedy is to eradicate or at least reduce the mouse population in the area. I keep a constant supply of the rat blocks in every building in the farm yard. Of course they have to be inaccessible to pets and kids so I use a bait box in some buildings. The bait blocks are square with a hole through the middle so they can be spiked to the walls in the sheds. The bait is not cheap but still cheaper than the damage mice can cause to vehicles and machinery.
RalphG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 01:18 AM   #45
ford38v8

For myself and other city boys, the task is not to eradicate a world full of rodents, but to deny them entrance to our buildings. I know, lots of barns and outbuildings are not possible to put up physical barriers, but I'm thinking you should be able to keep them out with sound barriers that they won't cross? Being that city boy with clean shoes, I don't really know how it is on a farm or a ranch, but I did have relatives with a cow barn that had gopher snakes for the vermin. I know that because my brother in law about skinned me alive for shooting his snake!
Old 02-04-2020, 07:56 AM   #46
tubman

"Barn cats" are very effective too.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 02:53 PM   #47
RalphG

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubman View Post
"Barn cats" are very effective too.
Cats are better than nothing but not as good as poison. I remember pulling the 39 Ford into the workshop back in the 70s. We were shooting mice with pellet guns they were that numerous. Had plenty of cats too but it didn't work like poison does now. Rats are non existent in this yard and the mouse population is low. I might spend $20 a year on poison blocks. Cheap compared to the damage mice cause. Not to mention the risk of death from hantavirus.
RalphG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 03:19 PM   #48
HD

I have been useing Mouse Magic for the last 5 yrs, no problems
HD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 12:26 PM   #49
jim1932

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD View Post
I have been using Mouse Magic for the last 5 yrs, no problems
Reminds me..... I need to pick up more. I like my sonic, but is there a way to tell if it quits? easy to assume they last forever. I replaced mine after 2 years.
Old 02-05-2020, 12:33 PM   #50
tubman

Quote:
Originally Posted by RalphG View Post
Cats are better than nothing but not as good as poison. I remember pulling the 39 Ford into the workshop back in the 70s. We were shooting mice with pellet guns they were that numerous. Had plenty of cats too but it didn't work like poison does now. Rats are non existent in this yard and the mouse population is low. I might spend $20 a year on poison blocks. Cheap compared to the damage mice cause. Not to mention the risk of death from hantavirus.
I'm referring to real "barn cats" here. Ones that live full time in the barn and have to fend for themselves. A house cat you let into the barn once in a while won't do the job.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 01:08 PM   #51
solidaxle

I store my wife's Camaro in a pole barn for the winter. Lots of critters can get in. I plug up the exhaust with steel wool and buy a bag of cajun pepper and circle the car with it.
solidaxle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 01:15 PM   #52
Graeme / New Zealand

I never seem to get mice/rats in my garage so it is not a problem with my cars but the little F'ers get into the ceiling of my house late autumn most years and you can hear them running around at night. I think they come from the river as I have a stop bank (levy) behind my place. I usually chuck some of those square baits Ralph G mentioned, up into the ceiling cavity and you can hear them dragging them around for a couple of days.....then nothing for the rest of the year and no patter of small feet either. Our climate is pretty temperate so we probably don't get the problem to the extent you fellas do where the snow flies.

GB

"You're a long time looking at the lid"
Graeme / New Zealand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 01:20 PM   #53
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
I'm referring to real "barn cats" here. Ones that live full time in the barn and have to fend for themselves. A house cat you let into the barn once in a while won't do the job.

Ineffective house cat!

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 08:46 PM   #54
Kube

Quote:
We have five barn cats in the stable. Not once in the past few years have mice eaten their way in to the grain storage.
Still, I would NEVER allow any cat around any of my cars.
Old 02-05-2020, 09:55 PM   #55
cas3

my house cat is a mass murderer. he thinks its his job, goes out to go to work just like the rest of us. sleeps on the roofs of cars between working, then home after work exhausted from the hard day at the office. i was ok with the roofs until once i left my A roadster out because it wasnt supposed to rain, but it did. came home from work to see top fabric hanging down inside the car. closer inspection showed the evidence, muddy paw prints on the fender...next the hood...and the last jump to the roof must have startled him as he went right thru! it was an old top probably put on in the 60's, a little "aged" look to it, but when it was wet it must have been weak. damn, i liked that old top

Last edited by cas3; 02-05-2020 at 09:56 PM. Reason: spelling
cas3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 10:51 AM   #56
Automotive Stud

The only year I ever had a problem with mice in my garage/cars was the year I tried dryer sheets. Talk about fake news...
Automotive Stud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 03:51 PM   #57
Viv W

We had a rat/mice plague here some years ago, farmers were putting 5 gal pails out with 6in of water in the bottom and a smear of peanut butter about 3 to 4 in below the rim on the inside. The mice/rats would try to eat the peanut butter, fall into the water and drown. They killed tens of thousands like that. It will work in your garages or barns as long as the water does not freeze. the water and peanut butter is safe if your pets get hold of it.

Another farmer I know used to put a bowl of plaster of paris alongside a bowl of water. He said the rats love to eat the plaster, then get thirsty and drink the water. The plaster then sets inside them , game over. Again you need water that does not freeze and make sure your pets don't consume the plaster.
Viv W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 04:40 PM   #58
jagnweiner

Back on Page 1, Richard Crow suggests the "walk the plank" mouse trap. I agree 100%. Baited with a little peanut butter, it is very effective. Two tips: If your garage gets below freezing, add antifreeze to the water in the bucket (being careful of pets), and you may have to adjust the magnetic latch to make it release better.

https://www.amazon.com/FABUTA-Walk-P...n%2C187&sr=1-4

'47 Mercury Convertible
'25 Dodge Bros. Touring Car
'63 MG Midget
jagnweiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 10:33 PM   #59
5851a

A friend has the barn cats, just a tiny bit of food to keep them home and a few places to get out of the wind and snow. Keeps covers on the good iron, farms and has grain stored but never has mice or rat problems.
5851a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 08:51 AM   #60
AnthonyG

Didn’t read all but I’ve had success w Tomcat bait! Don’t even put in the little bait feed box. Just put 2 it 3 blocks around 3 car garage in corners. They definitely eat it then go look for water & die usually outside if no water in garage. I’ve had success w Antifreeze in small low side pans like pie pans. They love the stuff ang go away & die. Both seem to keep out of car but w antifreeze I’ve seen smelled them dead inside more than not. Obviously not a good idea w pets!