Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-21-2018, 04:38 PM   #1
Randy1944

Default Recurring problem

My truck has a 59ab engine stock and still 6 volt pos ground. The motor starts easy and sounds great. I start it and drive it about twenty minutes and it dies. I then have it hauled home. About thirty minutes later it will start. I have had this happen twice. It had a Skip Haney coil on it and Wondered if it was my problem. I had in reserve another Haney coil! So today I changed to the reserve coil. I started the truck and left it running. After twenty or thirty minutes the motor stopped. I waited about thirty minutes and it then started. When it dies and I try to start it, it turns over, but does not start.
Where should I look next? The rollback guy loves it but that is getting old.
Thanks
Randy1944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 05:05 PM   #2
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Default Re: Recurring problem

Condenser could be the problem. Also, it the fuel tank vented?
JSeery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 05:13 PM   #3
petehoovie

I like JSeery's answer....

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0
petehoovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 05:34 PM   #4
Randy1944

I forgot to mention that it has a crab dist. I do no know about the gas tank being vented.
Old 04-21-2018, 05:40 PM   #5
zzlegend

Randy, I had a weirdo one. My roadster with a 59 AB, would start and run for a couple of days. Then one time while at breakfast came out and it would crank and crank and no fire. I went over everything with out changing parts. After two or three more tries it would fire all of a sudden. Did this off and on for about 2 weeks and got me very irritated. Finally one day in my drive way it did it and I got my test light out and started the routine. Popped the dist. cap off and nothing hot in the points Checked the wire on top of the distributor that is screwed on to the contact and it was hot. HUH???????????????????? I took an old valve and a hammer and tapped on top of that contact, and it fired right up. Hum,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,I left that ignition contact in there for about a month and sure enough it would do it maybe 3 to 5 times in that month. A slight tap on top and all was good again. To make a short story short, I called Bubba and got a couple of more. Changed it out and have never had a problem since. It was some what worn out on the bottom where it makes contact with the brass point contact. Some times touch and some times wouldn't. Go figure. Good luck with yours.
zzlegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 05:56 PM   #6
Randy1944

Thanks for the advice. The condenser is next on my list. I will let everyone know the results.
Old 04-21-2018, 06:21 PM   #7
51504bat

I've had a coil do the same thing.
Old 04-21-2018, 08:10 PM   #8
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy1944 View Post
Thanks for the advice. The condenser is next on my list. I will let everyone know the results.
Keep in mind you may have to go through several condensers to find a good one. Or get one from a source that test them to assure they are good.
Old 04-21-2018, 08:22 PM   #9
Tinker

and as JSeery mentioned about the vent cap on the fuel tank. Next time it stalls remove the cap and listen for a whoosh sound. Then try to restart. Might not be it, but that's free anyway.

I'm using a napa ih200, seems to work. Bought two for good luck!
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 03:41 PM   #10
Ggmac

I'm not sure how the car is stored , but check to see if your muffler was a home to some critters . It usually stalls a car out pretty fast tho . Hand over the idling exhaust or a vacuum gauge , a gradually decreasing vac is a sign or the muffler blocked .
Ggmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 03:42 PM   #11
Ggmac

Never mind , just retread your post . Muffler wouldn't fit your restart .
Ggmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 09:58 AM   #12
Mart

Describe how it behaves before it stops.

For example, does it go along without a hint of a problem, then suddenly die and glide to a halt? In other words fault is catastrophic and not intermittent. (Ignoring that it will go again after a while)

Or does it go along ok and then falter at wider pedal, but go on ok at lighter pedal, then not go at medium pedal but ok at light until it deteriorates until it will not go regardless of the pedal angle?

I have experienced that latter type of fault and it was the HT side of the ignition. Rotor arm in one instance and distributor cap in another. Both more than once, actually.

It all instances they started better after cooling down.

I had one that would die suddenly. That was a bad ballast resistor.

Mart.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 02:42 PM   #13
randy993

I've been having the same problem with my PU. It starts fine and runs for around 20~30 minutes and then dies. After sitting for about an hour it will fire back up and run fine for a little while and then do it again. I've replaced the coil and condenser and still trying to figure it out.
Mine follows Marts first example:
For example, does it go along without a hint of a problem, then suddenly die and glide to a halt? In other words fault is catastrophic and not intermittent. (Ignoring that it will go again after a while)

Not meaning to highjack this thread, but sounds very similar to my issues.
Randy
randy993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 03:25 PM   #14
Seth Swoboda

It's not a fuel cap problem or restricted exhaust or any other. It is either one of two things:

1. a bad condenser
2. too much voltage going to coil causing the coil to get hot and break down.

If it is the second option, when it quits running put your hand on the coil. If it is too hot to touch you have a problem. Also take a voltmeter and check the voltage going to the coil. You may have a bad ballast resistor. Please report back with your findings.

The reason it re-starts after a half hour is because the coil has cooled enough to allow a suitable spark to be delivered.
Seth Swoboda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 05:46 PM   #15
Randy1944

My issue is that the truck stops running all at once. Cool down and then starts again. Then it runs again and after about ten to fifteen minutes it stops again. I intend to change out the condenser. I will let you know the results.
Old 04-23-2018, 06:24 PM   #16
zzlegend

I second what Seth said. Touch the coil when it quits and see if its hot. I had one do this, although mine never quit running but just stumbled a lot. New coil and problem was solved.
zzlegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 06:48 PM   #17
randy993

I am getting 9.3v on the coil side of the resistor. Again, I didn't mean to hijack the thread.
Old 04-23-2018, 07:02 PM   #18
JSeery
Member Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by randy993 View Post
I am getting 9.3v on the coil side of the resistor. Again, I didn't mean to hijack the thread.
Well, it is going to depend on the coil you have. If it is a 1.5 ohm coil that is to much voltage to the coil. Measure the ballast resistor ohms. If it is a 3.0 ohm coil that is to little voltage. Need to determine what you are working with. I would guess that it's a 1.5 ohm coil and you are overheating the coil.
Old 04-23-2018, 07:26 PM   #19
randy993

I have just replaced the coil. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...k_ql_qh_dp_hza
I believe it's a 3.0 ohm coil. What setting should I use on my meter to measure the ballister resistor ohm?
Old 04-23-2018, 07:42 PM   #20
kevinanderson

Been through this. After new everything, discovered the mounting plate in the distributor was ever so slightly warped. Once it got real good and warm/hot, it would expand and ground itself out. Same symptoms as you describe .
kevinanderson is offline   Reply With Quote