Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-19-2016, 08:46 PM   #21
tbirdtbird
BANNED

Default Re: Production boo boo's

I'm with #13
This is true for any production plant cars or otherwise.
I went thru the Arlington GM plant, a massive facility doing the SUV platforms, and there was a repair area that always had about 2-3 cars there, not bad for a plant that does 3 shifts and never shuts down
Old 02-20-2016, 01:17 PM   #22
Tom from Drippin'

I think I have one.
My '31 Leatherback Vicky has a frame number indicating its original engine was made on Jan. 27, 1931 (4301547). The engine number installed, indicates it was made on Feb. 2,1931 (4313503).
Records also show that engines were built on Jan. 28, but no engines were built on Jan. 29, 30,31 or Feb.1.
There is a difference of 11,956 between numbers.
I contend that when my Vicky reached the end of the production line, there was a problem with the original engine and it was replaced at the factory.
I know Ford ran each engine, but that was with an electric motor to run in the bearings and no actual combustion took place.
No one can convince me that, for millions of cars, not one engine failed its first start with gasoline.
Yes, it is possible that the closeness of engine numbers is only a coincidence, but I doubt it.
Old 02-20-2016, 02:50 PM   #23
Barry B./ Ma.

The early 29 tudor I had came with the original tool bag and one snap was installed inside out obviously it would never snap. Somebody got away with that one back then.
Barry B./ Ma. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 06:54 AM   #24
kwisor

I have often wonder how they would line up the hood and doors on the line you always here how hard or long it has taken someone to line them up when they had the body off. i hope to put my tudor body back on the summer and not looking forward to the nightmare of nothing lining up my frame is stright
kevin
1930 tudor
kwisor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 11:02 AM   #25
Steve Plucker
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom from Drippin' View Post
I think I have one.
My '31 Leatherback Vicky has a frame number indicating its original engine was made on Jan. 27, 1931 (4301547). The engine number installed, indicates it was made on Feb. 2,1931 (4313503).
Records also show that engines were built on Jan. 28, but no engines were built on Jan. 29, 30,31 or Feb.1.
There is a difference of 11,956 between numbers.
I contend that when my Vicky reached the end of the production line, there was a problem with the original engine and it was replaced at the factory.
I know Ford ran each engine, but that was with an electric motor to run in the bearings and no actual combustion took place.
No one can convince me that, for millions of cars, not one engine failed its first start with gasoline.
Yes, it is possible that the closeness of engine numbers is only a coincidence, but I doubt it.
You are probably correct on that Tom, I can see no other reason...BUT I bet you wish you had the original Bill of Sale!

Pluck
Steve Plucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 11:06 AM   #26
Steve Plucker
BANNED

If anyone out there that has a ton of Factory Bill of Sales or Dealership Bill of Sales for the Model A/AA Ford, please contact me...The more we learn about the assembly process and timing the more interesting it is for all.

Thanks.

Pluck
Old 02-21-2016, 11:21 AM   #27
burner31

You will have to shim the body to get the doors/body lines right.
Shims at your local auto store down the street will run you $8 - $25 for a small box
(8-10), I found a site online where I got 120+ various thickness shims for $30 (free shipping) I'll never have to buy shims again.
There is a site that will give you a diagram on where to shim to get things lined up
burner31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2016, 11:21 AM   #28
Steve Plucker
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHEC View Post
Our '30 Deluxe Coupe was built without standard (for a Deluxe Coupe), cowl lites. How many cars moved forward without something of this significance being caught before the end of the line?

Built 8/6/30, at the San Francisco - SFA plant. Here is a photo of our Ford
in 1958 as purchased from the original owner. This was not a special order car as far as we know.

A Model A oddity?

Be well -

Chris

SHEC
SHEC...If 8/6/30 is the "engine" stamping date, then it was sometime after that for which your car was assembled in SFA.

Look at the information on the Hollister cars from engine stamping to sale dates

PM me with that information and maybe we can figure out a more true date.

Pluck
Old 02-22-2016, 11:51 AM   #29
SHEC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Plucker View Post
SHEC...If 8/6/30 is the "engine" stamping date, then it was sometime after that for which your car was assembled in SFA.

Look at the information on the Hollister cars from engine stamping to sale dates

PM me with that information and maybe we can figure out a more true date.

Pluck
Thanks Steve -

Good to hear from you again. On your Plant study for SFA, you have the car on page 12 with the side note of #3 as a credit for the information I sent you.

At that time I sent you a copy of the original California Pink Slip - the new registration for the Coupe specifically showing date of delivery as Oct. 11, 1930. Revisiting that information and the rest of the study for cars going to Hollister Ca. from SFA, I would love your input as to the actual, or as close as possible, to the true build date.

I am now wondering if the car was indeed a "special order" due to the close proximity in timing of the engine build date and the true sales date - August to October 1930. The SFA build number (body stamping ) is - SFA 11538.

Thanks again for all your efforts and interest for all of the "A"'s out there -

Be well -

Chris

SHEC

Last edited by SHEC; 02-22-2016 at 12:00 PM.
SHEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 04:46 PM   #30
ericr

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwisor View Post
I have often wonder how they would line up the hood and doors on the line you always here how hard or long it has taken someone to line them up when they had the body off. i hope to put my tudor body back on the summer and not looking forward to the nightmare of nothing lining up my frame is stright
kevin
1930 tudor
I've often wondered the same thing. the obvious answer is that their body parts were new and not twisted, warped, etc. over decades of usage. Still, it seems that they fastened down the radiator and attached its hoses before the hood and the body went on. Hard for me to see how much slop there could have been for adjustment.
ericr is offline   Reply With Quote