Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-18-2016, 08:29 PM   #1
daren007

Default Production boo boo's

When I read about how many Model "A" and "T"s rolled off the lines per hour/minute I cannot help but think there had to be a few that did not run etc. for whatever reasons. I would think these cars would have been placed in a waiting area until the problem (s) were resolved. Does anyone have any stories passed down regarding this subject. I would think it would make for some interesting reading. Daren
daren007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 08:49 PM   #2
Brentwood Bob

Default Re: Production boo boo's

I believe the engines were run in before installed in the car. Any problems were probably caught prior to final assembly. Faulty motors were reworked. A diamond motor, a post production replacement assembled at the Rouge Plant, would have a sequential number stamped on it at assembly.

Bob
Brentwood Bob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 09:05 PM   #3
mshmodela

I would think that the only that might have been off would be final adjustments of wheel alignment, steering and maybe door fit. If the engine had an issue, a lot them would and likely discovered before final assembly.

Late 31' Ford Model A Tudor, Miss Daisy

I don't work on cars --I'm learning about my Model A.

Cleveland, Ohio
mshmodela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 09:06 PM   #4
29er

Quote:
Originally Posted by daren007 View Post
When I read about how many Model "A" and "T"s rolled off the lines per hour/minute I cannot help but think there had to be a few that did not run etc. for whatever reasons. I would think these cars would have been placed in a waiting area until the problem (s) were resolved. Does anyone have any stories passed down regarding this subject. I would think it would make for some interesting reading. Daren
Yes, they called them "Chevys". True story.

29er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 09:08 PM   #5
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brentwood Bob View Post
I believe the engines were run in before installed in the car. Any problems were probably caught prior to final assembly. Faulty motors were reworked. A diamond motor, a post production replacement assembled at the Rouge Plant, would have a sequential number stamped on it at assembly.

Bob
Bob, I am not sure I am following you. If an engine was manufactured post-production, why would it need a sequential number stamped on it at the factory? Wouldn't that be the job of the mechanic installing it to match (stamp) the vehicle's VIN on it??

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 09:40 PM   #6
DougVieyra

Years ago my 80 year old neighbor told of his years (1928-32) working for the Ford Motor Company, first in San Francisco, and later in Richmond, California. Along with many others, his job was to re-work, repair and 're-freshen' new car body blemishes that came either from the factory, or damaged during shipment from Dearborn to the branch offices.
DougVieyra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 09:53 PM   #7
Sunnybrook Farm

My 29 tudor had missing bolts where the upper and lower body was joined, don't know if it was a screw up or they just found they didn't need all the bolts to hold it together. It had pieces of rectangular shaped cardboard glued all around the inside of the body to reduce noise I guess. I always thought that was strange.
Sunnybrook Farm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 09:29 AM   #8
Ray in La Mesa

My '30 68B cabriolet had only the right turnbuckle from the door post to the subframe. There was not even a hole in the upper triangle plate for it to be riveted to. The original Bronson yellow paint on the plate confirms this was a factory screw up.
Ray in La Mesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 11:04 AM   #9
ericr

there was an article some time ago in the MARC magazine, interviewing an old-timer who worked on the assembly line in Dearborn. as I recall, he said that actually very few cars failed to start at the end of the line. knowing how the Company operated, my guess would be that they studied the faulty cars diligently to discover if there was flaw in the assembly process.
ericr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 11:58 AM   #10
SHEC

Our '30 Deluxe Coupe was built without standard (for a Deluxe Coupe), cowl lites. How many cars moved forward without something of this significance being caught before the end of the line?

Built 8/6/30, at the San Francisco - SFA plant. Here is a photo of our Ford
in 1958 as purchased from the original owner. This was not a special order car as far as we know.

A Model A oddity?

Be well -

Chris

SHEC
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Annie early on..jpg (59.3 KB, 141 views)
SHEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 12:43 PM   #11
Tiny

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHEC View Post
Our '30 Deluxe Coupe was built without standard (for a Deluxe Coupe), cowl lites. How many cars moved forward without something of this significance being caught before the end of the line?

Built 8/6/30, at the San Francisco - SFA plant. Here is a photo of our Ford
in 1958 as purchased from the original owner. This was not a special order car as far as we know.

A Model A oddity?

Be well -

Chris

SHEC
What other "deluxe" feature does it have? I have a 12/30 Deluxe coupe from the SF plant also.
Old 02-19-2016, 12:55 PM   #12
SHEC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiny View Post
What other "deluxe" feature does it have? I have a 12/30 Deluxe coupe from the SF plant also.
A Deluxe Coupe would include (partial list): Mohair upholstery with more pleats, Pinstripe on gas tank, Butler satin finish upgraded interior door handles + window crank, rear window shade, and an interior dome light.

Those are the items that I can think of right off the bat - to include the cowl lites of course.

Hope that helps - do you know the dealer it was delivered to new?

Thanks -

Chris

SHEC
Old 02-19-2016, 01:14 PM   #13
jeep44

Having worked for 30+ years in an auto plant, There is always a repair area where problems can be moved off the line to be sorted out with without stopping the main line, and then fed back on the main line once they are fixed
jeep44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 01:14 PM   #14
Bob Bidonde

>Engines were turned by an electric motor to reduce friction before installation in a chassis.
>Bodies were totally assembled including paint, upholstery & doors before being dropped onto the chassis. Fenders, aprons, running boards and hoods were installed as part of final assembly.
> The first engine run was at the end of the final assembly line, and cars were driven off the line.
> Where dealers were nearby Ford Branches, new cars were often driven to the dealer showrooms.
Old 02-19-2016, 01:29 PM   #15
Tiny

I was referring to your car specifically. I find it a bit hard to believe that he cowl lights were forgotten. Is the wiring there for them?

On Steve Plucker's study all the Vins, with in a few before and after my car went to Tiffany Motors in Hollister. My car was in Modesto from the late 60's until I bought it a few years back so it seems likely that its where mine went.

The original wood around the dome light, and the wire from the header to it in mine is how I determine its an original deluxe. Mine has been repainted and has the obligatory black Naugahyde upholstery that was so popular in the 70's, so no telling by the other deluxe items. The title says DELUXE COUPE though. The one interesting feature though is my car is an original trunk car that shows no signs of ever having a rumble seat.
Old 02-19-2016, 01:49 PM   #16
burner31

Quote:
Originally Posted by 29er View Post
Yes, they called them "Chevys". True story.

Now that's "humor" that I can appreciate. Love it

And I'm also a "Chevy man"
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IM006405.jpg (150.3 KB, 32 views)
burner31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 03:48 PM   #17
Brentwood Bob

Brent, pm, Bob.
Brentwood Bob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 04:55 PM   #18
Bruce_MO

I can't recall which book it's in, but I know I've seen a picture of the "repair/touch-up" area where you can see guys masking and fixing paint errors, hoods open, etc. Maybe it was in Sorensen's "The Ford Factories". I vaguely recall the era being in the '40s. I'll look tonight to see what I can find.
Bruce_MO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 05:26 PM   #19
29er

Quote:
Originally Posted by burner31 View Post
Now that's "humor" that I can appreciate. Love it

And I'm also a "Chevy man"
Keith: So happy you're not offended! Beautiful '57!

Mike

Last edited by 29er; 02-19-2016 at 09:12 PM.
29er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 08:06 PM   #20
SHEC

Thumbs up Re: Production boo boo's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiny View Post
I was referring to your car specifically. I find it a bit hard to believe that he cowl lights were forgotten. Is the wiring there for them?

On Steve Plucker's study all the Vins, with in a few before and after my car went to Tiffany Motors in Hollister. My car was in Modesto from the late 60's until I bought it a few years back so it seems likely that its where mine went.

The original wood around the dome light, and the wire from the header to it in mine is how I determine its an original deluxe. Mine has been repainted and has the obligatory black Naugahyde upholstery that was so popular in the 70's, so no telling by the other deluxe items. The title says DELUXE COUPE though. The one interesting feature though is my car is an original trunk car that shows no signs of ever having a rumble seat.
Yes the full wire harness, insulators and blocking were there from the factory. I am in Steve's study on VIN's and noted on the SFA portion as to the cars particulars.

Mistake now that we look back on it...............! When I restored the car with my Dad in 78/79, I said it NEEDED the cowl lite to be correct. He went along and we installed a set. I wish now that I had left it as built for the unique/odd/originality. Once burned, twice learned.

Sounds like your car is a Deluxe indeed as the parts and reg. shows that. I have the original 1930 Pink Slip issued when new - it also states Coupe Deluxe. Our car is also a trunk model no rumble seat as the original owner was a widowed Oakland Ca. lady.

Sold new Oct. 11, 1930 @ H.M. Lawrence Ford - Oakland Ca. $3.00 fee for the reg. and plates!!!!!!

Thanks for sharing the info. Tiny

Have you checked the SFA build number on the floor cross member?