Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-17-2015, 05:19 AM   #1
oldfordsjb

Default Tow Dolly a Ford V8

I am heading out to a car show (approx 200 miles) in a few weeks. I would like to tow my V8 with a tow dolly. Has anyone had any problems using a dolly, hauling with the rear wheels on the ground? Running the V8 transmission in neutral?
oldfordsjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 06:02 AM   #2
slowforty

Default Re: Tow Dolly a Ford V8

Someone going to the V-8 convention last year in Springfield Il. used a tow dolly . It handled so bad ,I believe they drove the car back home. I would try and see how yours handled first. Before making the trip.
slowforty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 06:15 AM   #3
Walt Dupont--Me.

Back in the 50's we use to tow our race cars to the drags strip all the time, never had a problem. Walt
Walt Dupont--Me. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 06:33 AM   #4
jimTN

I pulled a 37 from Chicago to TN with one and no problems. Its like anything else, try pulling with a 1/2 ton obamamobile and you are going to have problems.
jimTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 07:40 AM   #5
hotrodA

If it's a rental, check the wheel bearings. Having one fail is not a pleasant experience.
hotrodA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 08:57 AM   #6
32phil

Transporting a V8 Ford, especially flat towing, with the rear wheels on the ground may be a problem. Depending on how high the tow dolly is and the level of lube in the trans the rear bearing may suffer. Mainly because the rear bearing in the trans may not get lubed if the engine is not running. With the driveshaft turning the output shaft on the trans will also be turning............ the rear bearing will not be lubed because the cluster gear is NOT turning. You may try overfilling the trans to raise the level then lower it. It could be messy... ......Ask me how I know
Old 08-17-2015, 09:32 AM   #7
Gary in La.

I towed my '38 coupe from Wi. to La. (1200 miles) with a '80 Buick Riviera and had no problems at all. In fact it was no different than a small trailer. I had the back wheels on the dolly and front locked. You have to be extra careful as with towing anything.
Gary in La. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 10:38 AM   #8
blucar

From my prospective, tow dolly's tend to be an accident looking for a place to happen. I used one once many years ago to bring my El Camino home after it lost the trans in Central CA. I have seen far to many empty tow dolly's bouncing along the road behind an RV, then see a car off of the road several miles back.
I have towed several cars on a tow bar, all four wheels on the road, for thousands of miles with no difficulty.. Vehicles with automatic transmissions can be problematic, manual transmissions are generally not a problem.
A word of caution; DONT TRY TO BACK UP A TOWED VEHICLE, EITHER ON A DOLLY OR A TOW BAR... SERIOUS DAMAGE WILL RESULT..
Old 08-17-2015, 12:03 PM   #9
Mart

If you tow with the rear wheels on the ground, put the trans in neutral. Make a stick of wood with the ends shaped so it wedges under the steering wheel and the clutch pedal, holding it down. By holding the clutch down you allow the gears in the transmission to turn IF THEY WANT TO. In this way the oil circulation within the trans will keep things lubed. I have flat towed relatively short distances and had no problem using the above method.

That said, a couple of hundred miles is just a four hour trip at a nice easy 50mph. Make the journey part of the event. You could take a drive to a place 50 miles from home, and come back. That's 100 miles. The journey to the show would be twice that. That's a pleasurable distance in an old car if there's no rush.

Mart.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 12:13 PM   #10
Marvin/TN

Send a message via AIM to Marvin/TN

Maybe he had the car on backwards with the front wheels on the ground. When you rent a U-Haul tow dolly the contract states do not tow with front wheels on the ground.
Remember your front end alignment would be just the opposite of what it should be.
Marvin/TN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 12:31 PM   #11
35fordtn

I have used a tow dolly in a emergency break down. It was not a rental and was a nice unit that steered and all. If it is your only option then be careful and as mention be sure the steering is locked, and do not attempt to backup with a car on the dolly. If you are renting one I would consider the extra $$ to rent a trailer. U-haul's open car trailers are actually very good and tow well.
35fordtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 04:09 PM   #12
39topless

I would just go with a car hauler. They pull nice.
39topless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 04:40 PM   #13
34pickup

I have used them many times. If its a rental, be sure to stop every so often to check the straps on the wheels because I have had them work loose before with the rental tow dollies. I would bring some ratchets and chains to double up on securing it down. Other than that, I have had no problems with one. But the rental car trailers really do pull nicely. They are easier to pull than my farm trailer.
Matt 24:36-41
34pickup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 05:19 PM   #14
Marv

I'll go with topless because of safety reasons. As already mentioned A tow dolly is an accident waiting for a place to happen.
Marv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 06:58 PM   #15
51504bat

one more vote for what Topless and Marv said. Go with a trailer. JMO
Old 08-17-2015, 10:42 PM   #16
avrotom

The needle/roller pilot brg between the input shaft and the main output shaft depends on the cluster gear moving to get its lubrication, in addition to the rear ball brg. That thought would drive me crazy on a long trip with the rear wheels on the road. Just a thought.
avrotom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 05:35 AM   #17
oldfordsjb

Thanks for all your opinions. This a a newer dolly with the swival deck and surge brakes. I have towed a modern/front wheel drive car on it many times with no problems. I do miss an enclosed trailer, but it had to go. Hope to see you soon!
oldfordsjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2015, 05:22 PM   #18
Capt Kirk

You're going to a show...you must have some pride in your car. Do you have a buddy or family member that you can borrow a flatbed trailer from? It sounds like the dolly is yours so I can understand not wanting the added expense of renting a trailer if you don't have a friend with one. Frequent stops early on to check things...then extend as the comfort level increases. Testing the set=up well before the actual trip is a must if you plan on getting there.
Empty wallet
Capt Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2015, 10:17 PM   #19
itslow

Only 200 miles? Drive it.

Wanted:
- '32-34 Open Cab Pickup (RPU) parts and documents/articles/info
- ARDUN parts
itslow is offline   Reply With Quote