Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-31-2021, 07:34 AM   #1
fivefix

Default Oshkosh or Bust - Reverse Camera for Mullins Trailer Problem

Background:
I drive a 1930 Tudor with a 6V alternator and I've installed a couple 6V to 12V power step-ups to run an accessory plug for a Navigation system and a 12V third brake light with safety flasher. Everything works great. I'm planning to pull my Mullins Trailer to the Oshkosh National Meet next week and for those who have ever pulled one, they're invisible to the driver of a Model A. They just disappear due to their size and the limited visibility from within our cars.

I got the great idea to install a reverse/backup camera in the Tudor so I could always see the trailer and aid in backing up.

Problem:

I first installed a wireless reverse camera meaning I had to power the monitor and camera separately and the signal was wireless between the two of them. The camera was wired directly to a Power Step-Up and the monitor shared the plug with the NAV. Everything worked as designed UNTIL I started the car. Some kind of engine interference made the camera monitor blink on and off in three second intervals. Works great with the car off, blinks on and off with the car running.

So, I get the wise idea to purchase another one, but this time wired. I assumed the wireless signal was being disrupted so now I have one with a cable between the camera and monitor and an accessory plug that powers the entire set-up. I install it and it must require too much power as it won't turn on using the accessory plug that runs my NAV. So I move to plan B which is to use a mobile battery pack from Harbor Freight. Success and the system works great. Success that is UNTIL I start the car. You guessed it, interference is again messing with the system and causing the monitor to turn off. No blinks this time, it just turns off when I start the car.

Remember, this second set-up is powered independently from the car and does not share any wiring with the car.

Solution:
??????????

I need the knowledge of our automotive electrical experts to weigh in on what I can do to stop the interference.
fivefix is offline   Reply With Quote