Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-28-2010, 08:18 PM   #1
Jazzjr

Default Putting things Together, Small Problems Poping Up

#1- Today I installed the Steering Box and Column, in my near compleated Huckster Van. The steering Box hits the Bolt on the Starter Band, no space between at all.

#2- Tried to install the Accelerator Linkage, like Les Andrews book says, Form the Inside then up, between Cowl Firewall and Bellhousing. No room to put it up from the bottom and in from either side. What side do you try to install it from anyways ??

Question -- The Huckster Wagon Plans, have you mount the Cowl to the front of the Hardwood Body. The inside legs of the Cowl Support 1930 Cowl, ( i'll call them crows foot piano feet) sit on top of the 1 1/2"x 10" sill member just near the Door Post inside. Then the Cowl Sub Frame drops down 1 1/2" This makes the Front of the Cowl bottom, flush with the bottom of the Sill Plate. No body Blocks, Sill Plate sits on top of Frame. Is their supposed to be a Space between Cowl and Splash Aprons, on a regular Model A ?? As mine is without a space. Cowl sits right on the Splash Aprons, No Space. I haven't installed the Radiator, or Hood yet, I'm thinking maybe I have to shim up the Body ??

I called the New Owner of Wagon Works for help, he didn't have any answers.

Also I need to order a Steering Coulmn Anti-Rattler rubber strip, is it long enough to circle the whole coulmn part # A3521. Thanks
Jazzjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 09:24 PM   #2
Tom Wesenberg

Default Re: Putting things Together, Small Problems Poping Up

When the new 2 tooth steering came out in Feb. 1929, the starter band changed. The new band has the screw facing the engine block rather than the steering box. Easy fix, just find the later style band.

Yes, there should be space between the cowl and splash aprons. Your wood blocks should have rubber pads nailed to the botom side.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 11:45 PM   #3
pat in Santa Cruz

install the accelerator linkage by compressing the linkage with one hand at the left side, so the entire unit is in one plane, then slip it in from inside the cab as Andrews describes. Align it to the bolt holes as you compress the linkage against the spring, then slip it in top first.

the anti rattler rubber is plenty long. You will need to trim it according to the Judging Standards.
pat in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 12:00 AM   #4
Jazzjr

Thanks Tom, after reading your post, I went out to the shop, and I have a couple of starters with the Band Bolt facing the Engine. I'll change it out.

As for the space, Tomorrow the Radiator, Hood will be installed. So I'll see if the side panels of the hood close, and will shim up the Cowl to align everything. With the cowl un-bolted, the Accelerator Linkage should pass through.

Thank You Pat, for answering the other 2 Questions. I'll try again to put the linkage in first.
Old 09-29-2010, 01:20 AM   #5
Tom Wesenberg

"Thank You Pat, for answering the other 2 Questions. I'll try again to put the linkage in first."

That's right, with the cowl lifted up as it should be, you'll have more space to slip the linkage in place. Don't forget the 2 shims that fit between the block and top 2 bolts on the flywheel housing. I put grease on the shims, so they don't fall out of place.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 09:53 AM   #6
Brian in Wheeling

Jazzjr:
Do you have any photos of your huckster project that you'd care to share?
I have a 28-29 frame and the DVD and plans you mentioned, but pictures sure are nice where someone has already gone before.
Brian in Wheeling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 10:06 AM   #7
Jazzjr

Brian,
I will send you Photos by E-mail, send Me your address. Mine is on a 30 Frame, but will be the same build, except for the Cowl Header.

Make sure you have at least a 10" Planer and a 14" Bandsaw, and 10" Table Saw with Dado Blades, or use of them to do this Project. Any Help I can give you, just ask. Let me know if you recieve the Photos. My e-mail is [email protected]