Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 09-27-2010, 08:30 PM   #1
Jazzjr

Thumbs up Found My Registration after 28 years, Now what Do I do to find the Truck

I have been looking for My registration for a 1930 Model A Pick-up for 28 Years. Finaly I found It, but I don't have the Truck!! Last time I registered it was 1981.

I was going threw a D, and My son was 11 at the time. Of course his Mother agreed to Keep it in the Barn for Him and all my other A stuff, too Numberous to write about. She Passed away 18 years ago!

I live in New York State, tommorow I'm heading to DMV, to have them trace the Vin #'s. I think that is the First place to Start. If anything shows up. Before I Hire a Lawyer, I want to do all I can my self in Quiet.

Any advice, maybe You or someone you know had a Simmler Problem.
Jazzjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 10:25 PM   #2
fordcragar

Default Re: Found My Registration after 28 years, Now what Do I do to find the Truck

You might be 18 years too late. Start with a lawyer, they should be to tell you what the laws are in that state.
fordcragar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 12:11 AM   #3
Mike V. Florida

Send a message via AIM to Mike V. Florida
Default Re: Found My Registration after 28 years, Now what Do I do to find the Truck

At the time of the trucks disapearance did you report it stolen?

My guess is also that you won't have a leg to stand on after all these years.
Old 09-28-2010, 03:55 AM   #4
29RPU

Actually, it is unfortunate that you didn't get to keep it, and everything transpired as it did, but it would be wrong to take it from someone else, even if you do have a leg to stand on. I think you should have looked into it 18 years ago. Now it is surely in the hands of another proud model A owner who should get to keep it no matter what condition it is in. Only chance you have is if it lies abandoned somewhere. JMO.
29RPU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 09:28 AM   #5
'29wagon

trace it, you might find it for sale, go with the positives. but the lawyer will drain you.
'29wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 09:47 AM   #6
fordcragar

When was the last time that you or anyone else saw it? If the truck didn't disappear when your ex died, she might have gotten rid of it before.
Old 09-28-2010, 09:57 AM   #7
Dan Baron

Have you looked under all the junk that might be in the garage? Like mine!!!
Old 09-28-2010, 02:29 PM   #8
Chris Haynes

If it is not registered, nor has it been for a few years you won't be able to locate it. Have a friendly cop run the number for you. If it is registered in the USA it will pop up. Mine hasn't been registered in many years and a search wont find it.
Speed costs money. How fast do you want to go?
Chris Haynes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 07:00 PM   #9
IrishHills

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzjr View Post
I have been looking for My registration for a 1930 Model A Pick-up for 28 Years. Finaly I found It, .
Where is the Title?
IrishHills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 07:17 PM   #10
Jazzjr

Went to the NYS DMV today, they were of No Help. They only keep records of vechile's with a Title. NYS didn't use the Title system till 1985 or later.

So its almost legal in NYS to buy a old Registration, and change the #'s on the Block and Frame, then get plates for the vechile.

Actually if I had a Title, I could havegone through the Process to get it Back. Like the 35 year old VW Bus, that had 3 or 4 owners, and the Ins. Co. got it back.

http://www.digitaljournal.com/article/281723
Old 09-28-2010, 10:18 PM   #11
fordcragar

Quote:
So its almost legal in NYS to buy a old Registration, and change the #'s on the Block and Frame, then get plates for the vechile.
No, I think that is still a felony.
Old 09-28-2010, 11:14 PM   #12
Mike V. Florida

Quote:
We

Actually if I had a Title, I could havegone through the Process to get it Back. Like the 35 year old VW Bus, that had 3 or 4 owners, and the Ins. Co. got it back.

http://www.digitaljournal.com/article/281723
It was reported stolen 35 years ago, was yours ever reported stolen?
Old 09-28-2010, 11:18 PM   #13
Mike V. Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordcragar View Post
No, I think that is still a felony.
I think what he means is that since there is no way for the state to trace a vehicle number with just a registration and since there were no titles before 1985, if you were to take an old registration and restamp the vehicle to match, how would they find out? Hence, "almost legal".
Old 09-29-2010, 08:39 AM   #14
1931 flamingo

Can't understand why you waited so long and discovered car gone??
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 09:38 AM   #15
Jazzjr

[QUOTED BY-Jazzjr;
I have been looking for My registration for a 1930 Model A Pick-up for 28 Years. Finaly I found It. [/QUOTE]

In 1994 the Truck was still stored in the Barn, as I agreed with my Ex to keep it for my Son. Things happened, Son got Married, had a Family, I was taking care of My Father, who died with Cancer after a 5 years suffering with it. Son had a falling out with his Mother. They didn't speak for Years. I started my life over again, moved 200 miles away.

When She died, Drinking, burned up her Liver, cause of our Divorce, Found out She was a Closet Drinker, 5 years into our Marriage. Son had Court Permisson to take his belongins from Property. When we found out Truck was gone, reported to Police, They could do nothing, as we had No Registration.

Now the Registration has been Found, what would You Do !!

The Truck was Sold Illegally, who ever bought It Knew this as the Registration Sticker and Inspection Sticker was still on the Windshield. She sold it with out a Transfer of a signed Registration, by Me.

Who ever had intenions of buying it should have done their reshearch, before they Bought it. And located Me, but they did not. I Really dont Care what they have done to Improve it since their Possession of it, would You in ths Situation, the new owner, did things Illegally, right from the Start.

PS; The Truck was Compleatly Rebuilt, cost at that time $2,000 to rebuild everything, with the Motor Freshly Rebuilt , with about 3,000 miles on it. All that was Needed was to put gas in it and turn on the Key.
Sorry for the Spelling.

Last edited by Jazzjr; 09-29-2010 at 09:44 AM.
Old 09-29-2010, 09:47 AM   #16
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
[QUOTED BY-Jazzjr;
I have been looking for My registration for a 1930 Model A Pick-up for 28 Years. Finaly I found It.
In 1994 the Truck was still stored in the Barn, as I agreed with my Ex to keep it for my Son. Things happened, Son got Married, had a Family, I was taking care of My Father, who died with Cancer after a 5 years suffering with it. Son had a falling out with his Mother. They didn't speak for Years. I started my life over again, moved 200 miles away.

When She died, Drinking, burned up her Liver, cause of our Divorce, Found out She was a Closet Drinker, 5 years into our Marriage. Son had Court Permisson to take his belongins from Property. When we found out Truck was gone, reported to Police, They could do nothing, as we had No Registration.

The Truck was Sold Illegally, who ever bought It Knew this as the Registration Sticker and Inspection Sticker was still on the Windshield. She sold it with out a Transfer of a signed Registration, by Me.

Who ever had intenions of buying it should have done their reshearch, before they Bought it. And located Me, but they did not. I Really dont Care what they have done to Improve it since their Possession of it, would You in ths Situation, the new owner, did things Illegally, right from the Start.

PS; The Truck was Compleatly Rebuilt, cost at that time $2,000 to rebuild everything, with the Motor Freshly Rebuilt , with about 3,000 miles on it. All that was Needed was to put gas in it and turn on the Key.
Sorry for the Spelling.[/QUOTE]

I guess I'd try to locate it and fight to get it back, but I'd also guess that someone may have made up new papers and may have even changed the numbers, so the chance of finding it and getting it back are slim.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 09:56 AM   #17
Jazzjr

Tom Quoted; I guess I'd fight to get it back, but I'd also guess that someone may have made up new papers and may have even changed the numbers, so the chance of getting it back are slim.

Thanks Tom, at least You are on my side. Right now we are trying to find out from the Neighbors if they know anything.

If only NYS DMV coould have Traced it, we would have a Start. Before we give up, their is always a chance we may find it. Maybe the new Owner was not smart enough to have changed the Motor # when it was re-lisenced.
Old 09-29-2010, 10:02 AM   #18
Tom from Drippin'

Quote:
[QUOTED BY-Jazzjr;
I have been looking for My registration for a 1930 Model A Pick-up for 28 Years. Finaly I found It.

Sorry for the Spelling.[/QUOTE]

Just for discussion.....Assuming you were the buyer...and also assuming that you did not realize she did not, llegally, have the right to sell it.
What would you do if someone came knocking on your door, 16 years after you bought it in good faith, wanting their truck back?
This also assumes that the truck is still owned by the buyer from your wife. What if you were the second or third buyer?
Old 09-29-2010, 10:16 AM   #19
Jazzjr

Tom from Drippen,
She knew that she was selling this Truck Illegally, the Buyer probaly knew it too.

Read these; http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&s...AACqBAVP0IWyyg
Old 09-29-2010, 10:20 AM   #20
Tom Wesenberg

"Just for discussion.....Assuming you were the buyer...and also assuming that you did not realize she did not, llegally, have the right to sell it.
What would you do if someone came knocking on your door, 16 years after you bought it in good faith, wanting their truck back?
This also assumes that the truck is still owned by the buyer from your wife. What if you were the second or third buyer? "

As an unknowing buyer I'd be plenty upset, but the law is still on the rightful owner's side, and he should still get it back. That's why it's very important to know that there is no chance you are buying stolen property. Just like the VW story mentioned, even after many years, the insurance company got it back, and with a nice restoration job to boot.

The end holder of stolen property or counterfeit money is ALWAYS the looser.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 10:32 AM   #21
NoSurf

caveat emptor.
NoSurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 11:59 AM   #22
1928Pickuppain

the vin should be on the registation. have a cop run them for you.
1928Pickuppain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 08:44 PM   #23
fordcragar

This is an interesting situation, there are a lot of what if's in play. In the state that I live in, the vehicle could have been removed as an "abandoned vehicle" and sold at auction; which would have given the purchaser a legit title.

If you can prove ownership, then have someone do a VIN search for you.
Old 09-30-2010, 02:14 AM   #24
40 Deluxe

There's a good chance some idiot street rodder got it, junked the frame and running gear, put the body on one of those imitation chassis and applied for and received a "reconstructed" title (or whatever his state calls them). Then he probably went on a 'rod run' and got his picture in one of the big magazines!
40 Deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 08:26 AM   #25
1931 flamingo

Now it could turn into a real can of worms if truck is found and it happens to be registered with a valid title in the new owner's name (however which way the title was obtained)..................or if 2nd or third owner with a valid title............

Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 09:11 AM   #26
Big D

Reading this entire thing, I think you would have more in legal fees than the truck was worth... Most lawyers want $200+ an hour and the "$2000 to rebuild" would go away pretty fast. Also given the intent of the now dead seller is going to be impossible to prove. The statue of limitations varies by state, but given that you only have a Registration-- the "new" buyer most likely has a Bill of Sale. In fact I still have the orig out-of-state title from my car, as Alabama does not even keep up with cars over 20 years old.

Another point not covered... given the Engine #, used in most places as the replacement for the VIN, could now be in a 29 Coupe (with a good title).

Good luck,
Sometimes it better to get over and forgive.

D
Big D is offline   Reply With Quote