Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-30-2012, 06:28 PM   #1
itsa52

Default Who do you like for rechroming

Never gave it much of a thought, figured Chrome was Chrome..
Obviously that is not the case..

Just thought I would ask who you prefer and why?
itsa52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 07:54 PM   #2
dartguy699

Default Re: Who do you like for rechroming

i have seen a lot of complaints about bumper boyz on the web but i bought the front and rear bumpers for my 58 fairlane 500 and both of them appear to be excellent. they had the front at their booth at the street rod nationals here in louisville and promised to have the rear at the swap meet here oct 20 which they did. bob even called me a few days in advance to let me know it would be there. also i thought the prices were very fair. especially since i did not have to pay shipping.
jim
dartguy699 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 10:24 PM   #3
Paul H

There's a chrome plater in Cuba Missouri that does excellent work.My brother-in-law and I have done a lot of business with them and have always been very happy with the quality and price of their work.I got a front bumper from them this summer for a 56.The price was $375.The company is called Highline Plating.I don't know if they have website.
Old 10-31-2012, 09:14 AM   #4
The Hot Rod Grille

John Wright's Customchrome Plating
963 Mechanic Street
Grafton, Ohio 44044

www.customchromeplating.com

Absolutely first class work. John has done the plating on several Riddler (Detroit Autorama) award winning vehicles. Expensive, but worth it!
The Hot Rod Grille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 07:09 PM   #5
FordFairlane55

Advanced Plating in Nashville, TN does show quality work, but they are expensive. I used Chrome Wizard, just outside Nashville, but would never do that again.
Custom Coatings, Tallahassee, FL, did a great job at a reasonable cost for me on pot metal restoration, but they don't have facilities for anything large (no bumpers).
FordFairlane55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 09:51 PM   #6
itsa52

Thanks everyone How about Denver Bumper Works.. Anyone with experience with them?
itsa52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 02:55 PM   #7
one piece at a time

I got some bumper guards off e-bay that Denver Bumper did and they look good to me. Since you are in Nebraska you might want to check out Souix City Plateing in IA. I've seen there work and it's Ok also but I did't get any prices but heard that they are reasonable. I have to agree with Paul H. I also used Highline after reviewing and talking to a lot of chrome shops in the midwest. Most of them cant do full sized bumpers but Highline can. They also do pot metal repair and they polish stainless that looks like it was chromed. There prices were lower than any one else I talked to and for half the cost of Advantage in Tenn. There number is 573-885-7651 ask to talk to Cliff or Dave
one piece at a time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 07:56 PM   #8
41Fordor

I used Denver Bumper Works in 2006 for OT 69 Cougar bumpers. Chrome looks great, but a few prep marks show through in the right light. My cores weren't perfect though. Was $190 each IIRC.

I'm getting ready to do my 54 Ford bumpers and guards, I'll call them for a quote if they're still there.
41Fordor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 03:17 PM   #9
metalman

I had a bad experiance with Denver, not only the chrome wasn't the best they've ruined a couple pieces. FWIW I've been using Electroplating of El Paso the last few years and been very happy, good pricing, good turn around time plus they give you an option of "house chrome" or "show chrome" with the ovious price differance. Nice option if your building a driver or something more higher end. Buy the way I had them do house chrome on some pieces on my 40 and it looked better the the stuff on the car that came from Denver. I had them do show chrome on the 32 Vicky I'm building, first time I ever seen a shop polish and chrome both sides of a bumper!
metalman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 11:55 AM   #10
Retro Jim

I see the Bumper Boyz at all the car shows all the time and I haven't seen any problems with their work . They seem to sell an awful lot of bumpers ever year at the Carsile Ford show in Pa. that I sell at every year .
When it gets time to replace my bumpers on my 55 Ford , I will be buying bumpbers from them .
I have seen the work and they do look good .

Advanced down south are very good and there is another place here in Pa near Hershey but can't remember the name off hand . They also do great work as well .

Jim
Retro Jim is offline   Reply With Quote