Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-30-2012, 07:43 PM   #21
Retro Jim

Default Re: 289 or 352 engine?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearsden66 View Post
Hi Pamlico yes I know the c means 289 but the vin also says there is a 2 bbl carb the engine sitting in my ford has a 4 bbl carb and there is a 352 number stamped in one of the heads that is on the drivers side that is what made me curious. I'm on a fixed income so I had planned on buying small parts for the engine during the winter so I had them available in the spring but don't want to buy anything without knowing for sure what engine I have. I can't do anything for now the car is wrapped up for the winter

Doesn't matter what the VIN code is because that engine could have been swapped in at any time . That was done a lot back then .

Jim
Retro Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 12:39 PM   #22
allen

Send a message via ICQ to allen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid View Post
If it has 352 on the left front of engine it is definately a FE. Either a 352 or a 390. They both had 352 on the front of engine. Hard to tell which one without pulling a head or looking at the rear of crankshaft flange but about everything is interchangeable on both engines.

Here is one way I did it take a pencil into the plug hole at the lowest mark the pencil at the highest mark the pencil measure in between. if it is 4 inch its a 390 3and 3/4 352
allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 12-12-2012, 02:56 AM   #23
JeffB2

Best advice I can give you is buy this:http://www.mre-books.com/interchange/index.html since you have a limited knowledge of Fords this will be the best investment you can make on your Ford,clicking on the sections in blue to the left will give you a preview of what is inside.
JeffB2 is offline   Reply With Quote