Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-23-2018, 05:09 PM   #1
cbillelder

Default Do You Have A Chassis Engineering Mustang II Front Kit You Haven't Installed Yet?

Hi Guys-
I'm looking for some help here. I have a Mustang II front crossmember made by Chassis Engineering that I want to install in my '36 Ford frame. Unfortunately, the rear brackets for the lower arm strut rods were lost, so I'm going to have to make them since Chassis Engineering is out of business. I have another '36 Ford here with that setup that I can get most of the measurements from, but I need to know what the hole size is in the brackets that the strut rod rubber bushings mount thru. If you have one of these kits you haven't installed yet, could you measure the diameter of that rubber bushing hole for me? I would appreciate it very much. It doesn't matter what car your kit is made for. As long as it's a Chassis Engineering kit, I'm sure the bushing holes are all the same size. If not, do you know someone who has one? Please let me know if you do. PM me or email me at [email protected]
Thanks guys,
Bill

Last edited by cbillelder; 01-23-2018 at 05:24 PM.
cbillelder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 05:59 PM   #2
Ggmac

Default Re: Do You Have A Chassis Engineering Mustang II Front Kit You Haven't Installed Yet?

I no longer have the car but have installed a few . Go to speedway and look at there tubular lower control arms ( don't require a strut and look cleaner ) or use the tubular lower strut set up . Pg 28,28,31 of current Street Catalog .
Ggmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 06:42 PM   #3
fortyfords

Default Re: Do You Have A Chassis Engineering Mustang II Front Kit You Haven't Installed Yet?

Chassis Engineering has been bought so you should still be able to get parts.
fortyfords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 07:12 PM   #4
Ggmac

They all use the same basic design . The Mustang 2 parts must fit all so the strut lee lowers are all I use now .
Ggmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 08:23 PM   #5
tomkowal

i have done a dozen mustang ii front ends and have always used tubular struts--you will get a much better ride..................
tomkowal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 07:50 AM   #6
woodiewagon46

If I'm not mistaken I read somewhere that Gary Heidts purchased Chassis Engineering. I would give Heidts a call.
woodiewagon46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 08:17 AM   #7
waterboychuck

I used Speedway's lower control arms but still have the struts sitting on a shelf in my shop. PM me if you're interested.
Old 01-24-2018, 10:06 AM   #8
TJ

The lower rear brackets for the CE Mustang II are an essential part for the bolt in crossmember. They stabilize the lower part of the main crossmember to the frame rails. Since you have a pattern on the '36, you can fabricate the brackets you need. You don't need to drill the brackets for the strut rods. Then buy the pieces that allow you convert the crossmember to the full A arms on the bottom. That will eliminate the need for strut rods.
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 11:59 AM   #9
38bill

I went strut-less on mine. You can see the bushing and gusset welded to the cross-member. I going to go out on a limb and assume that if struts were used... the strut rod (with rubber bushings) would go through the round hole that can be seen in the lower rear brackets.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CE Crossmember.jpg (70.6 KB, 72 views)
38bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 01:18 AM   #10
Spiffy

1 9/16"
Spiffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 07:50 AM   #11
cbillelder

Thanks Spiffy, that's the number I was looking for.
cbillelder is offline   Reply With Quote