Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model T (1909-1927)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-23-2020, 06:44 AM   #1
JOHNCL

Default body dismounting help, please

I have just acquired my first Model T, a 1924 roadster. I want to remove the main body and I do not know how. Where are the bolts? There is the steel frame and wood timbers outside that. How do I proceed? Thanks.
JOHNCL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 10:03 AM   #2
redmodelt

Default Re: body dismounting help, please

Remove steering column after taking off the steering arm unbolting lower bracket from frame removing throttle and spark rods and unbolting from firewall, disconnect radiator support rod, remove choke rod and spray needle adjuster, remove wiring from engine side of the firewall, unbolt the firewall support brackets from firewall, take out floor boards, remove gas tank, take rear fenders off along with irons, unbolt the rear fenders from the running board splash shields, check to see if there is a screw going from the splash shields to wood sill at the rear of them, remove the spare tire carrier, unbolt the 6 bolts that mount the body to frame, lift body and remove. Without being able to see the car, some of these steps can be skipped depending on what is installed or isn't. First step, I suggest getting up and close and do some studying and take photos so you know what and where things go.
Old 12-23-2020, 02:49 PM   #3
rickd

The "timbers" are the sills of the wooden frame. The sills have 3 or 4 metal brackets attached to them that align with metal brackets on the metal frame. Undo the bolts attaching the sills to the metal frame. There are a couple of options on lifting off your T-body. The Model T manual shows 4 guys at each corner using boards under the body to lift off the frame. I have used straps and an engine lift to remove the body, worked pretty well.
rickd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 06:54 PM   #4
JOHNCL

Thanks! Today i took many pictures and crawled underneath to examine things. I was able to remove the trunk unit, and the rear fenders and brackets. There were no floorboards such that removal of the gas tank and the seat support were straight forward.

Onward tomorrow.
JOHNCL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 01:20 PM   #5
Flathead Dave

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
I belong to the MTFCA (Model T Ford Club of America) Lots of good advice in there from people who own nothing but Model T Fords.
Check it out if you haven't yet.