Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-18-2023, 06:39 PM   #1
jg61hawk

Default Movie Cars...Have You Done It?

Long story short....I signed up my Studebaker and Model A with Movietime Cars in NJ. They have a list of cars and if yours is called it's up to you if you provide the vehicle. If you do provide the car they insure it from the time they flatbed it away to when they bring it back.....So my question is have any of you dealt with a movie production company and waved goodbye as the Model A went to find her stardom?
jg61hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2023, 07:04 PM   #2
David in San Antonio

Default Re: Movie Cars...Have You Done It?

I have no direct experience, just second-hand reports. The person rented out a Citroen to a movie production company. They returned it with extensive interior damage including where they had run screws into the dashboard to mount equipment. And although they promptly paid his estimate for what repairs would cost he expected it would take several years of parts chasing and arranging for restoration. Yikes.
Alamo A’s Club
David in San Antonio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2023, 08:03 PM   #3
mcgarrett

Myself and a friend of mine had our Model T's in a movie during the summer of 2021. We rented them to Apple Studios in California. We actually got to meet the man in charge of movie cars personally, so it we at least had direct contact with them. They came with a trailer and picked our cars up and took them to Oklahoma where they remained on the set from June until September of 2021. We also were background drivers and got to work on the set and got paid for our time as well as getting paid for the rental of our cars. Overall the experience was good - they provided complete insurance coverage the whole time and even took care of repairs there on the set. They had a crew of mechanics to handle repairs on-site. Overall, it was a good experience; they even returned our cars to us will full tanks of gas! We're still waiting for the movie to come out, hopefully later this year.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG-0561.jpg (111.8 KB, 141 views)
File Type: jpg IMG-0562.jpg (112.0 KB, 129 views)
File Type: jpg KOFM speedster scene (2).jpg (59.5 KB, 140 views)
File Type: jpg Driving Lee's truck in Farfax.jpg (65.7 KB, 126 views)
File Type: jpg Larry's 1915 Touring Car.jpg (62.4 KB, 121 views)
mcgarrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2023, 08:19 PM   #4
McMimmcs

My 1932 Chrysler was lead car in Movie and television series “ Untouchables “. It was returned without any damage. My 1922 Cardway is presently under contract ! Problem is very few movies are being made highlighting the 1920-30 era! Wayne

Last edited by McMimmcs; 01-19-2023 at 11:03 AM.
McMimmcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2023, 08:57 PM   #5
Synchro909

What McMimmcs says about not many films from our era are being made now but I have had one of my cars used several times in a number of shows. There has never been any damage but I know of one guys whose car hit a kerb during a shoot. One of the front tyres was ruined and they couldn't get another of that make and size so they replaced the two front tyres. He put the good one on the spare.
Can't complain about that!
Old 01-18-2023, 11:18 PM   #6
Dick Carne

I have two friends who routinely work with movie companies - their jobs are primarily to serve as mechanics for some of the older cars on the set - both have Model T's and Model A's. Unfortunately, many of the movie producers look on vintage cars as "used cars" and treat them accordingly.

Another fellow locally had a very nice '31 Victoria. In order to make the car look older and less "shiny", they sprayed some sort of dull finish over the whole car and almost ruined the finish on his car. It required a couple of weeks and I'm trying to recall something over $1500 to bring the finish back somewhat. It still had places on it afterwards, and never was anywhere near the car that it was before he allowed them to use the car.

I am not surprised by David's comments above. The only way that I would allow one of our cars to be used in a movie set was if I were to be its on-site caretaker and be the sole one to drive it as a "background" model.
Dick Carne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2023, 09:14 AM   #7
Robert/Texas

My '22 and '28 roadsters and '28 OCPU were used in the 3-part TV miniseries "A Women of Independent Means" starring and produced by Sally Fields in 1994. The film was made in the Houston area, and I brought the cars to the filming sites and was even filmed in a few clips. My father-in-law also ‘starred’ in several scenes. This was a wonderful, educational, and enjoyable experience.

Sally was seldom seen as she stayed in her trailer most of the time. I made friends with her actor husband, Jack Thompson, an Australian actor who spoke with an Australian or Texas drawl. The ’28 roadster was his car in the movie, and I taught him how to drive the Model A. I was with the cars except for one night when they made a plywood shell for the pickup bed to make it to look like a mail truck.

The food they prepared daily was plentiful and tasty. As I recall, I was paid $200 per day for each car plus extra money when I was used in the film. They paid extra if you had a speaking role, but I didn’t have any speaking part.

My only problem was that Sally put a minor scratch in the dash of the roadster with a picnic basket at Bud Adam’s ranch. The scratch is still there and makes for a good conversation piece. The filming was done primarily at the ranch, Houston, Galveston and briefly near Clear Lake. I drove the cars to these locations and had to remove the license plates before each filming.
Robert/Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2023, 09:27 AM   #8
mhsprecher

I provided my car to the filming of Plot Against America. I drove my car during the filming. Payment for the car and for me was good. Good catering, as was mentioned. We were up all night filming, but overall it was a lot of fun and a good experience. I ended up in about 1 second of the movie.

You should check with your insurance. You may be prohibited from hiring out your car by the terms of your insurance policy.

More than one car provided by others ended up breaking down. My A and a friend's were among the most reliable.

The makeup and costuming people want things just so. You need to wear the clothes they provide and if you have a beard, if it is not period correct, they may want you to shave. I attached a pic of me in "costume." They gave me the shirt and hat. As I was only driving the car, they didn't give me pants to wear. One guy brought his wife, who was in her own period garb. The costume people had a fit.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6757.jpg (60.0 KB, 116 views)
1939 Deluxe Fordor
1945 pickup
1951 Custom convertible

Last edited by mhsprecher; 01-19-2023 at 09:41 AM. Reason: Add photo.
mhsprecher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2023, 09:54 AM   #9
Dino's A

Remember the T.V. show "MASH"? I knew the man that owned the 2 jeeps that
were used. He once showed up to the movie lot to see them moving a trailer,
with the front bumper of the Jeep.

In doing so, they bent one of the frame rails of the jeep.
Even before this, I would never, ever let someone, or whoever is on a lot,
joyride my baby. And to add more insult to injury, what do they pay you?
$500.00 a day or less? Your kidding right? So, they pay these "actors" miliions
to do a few lines, and you get 500 for a period correct prop. Sorry folks, they
are taking advantage of you.
Dino's A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2023, 10:38 AM   #10
mcgarrett

Since I'm retired, it wasn't about the money - it was a fun experience, an adventure to work for 3 months on a live set as a car driver and filming a movie with names like Leonardo DiCaprio, Robert DeNiro, John Lithgow, Brendan Frazier, Martin Scorcese, etc. The money wasn't why I did it. As a bonus, my 1927 Model T Speedster is featured in a race scene with 4 other speedsters, so if my face doesn't show up in any of the footage, at least my car will!
mcgarrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2023, 11:10 AM   #11
McMimmcs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert/Texas View Post
My '22 and '28 roadsters and '28 OCPU were used in the 3-part TV miniseries "A Women of Independent Means" starring and produced by Sally Fields in 1994. The film was made in the Houston area, and I brought the cars to the filming sites and was even filmed in a few clips. My father-in-law also ‘starred’ in several scenes. This was a wonderful, educational, and enjoyable experience.

Sally was seldom seen as she stayed in her trailer most of the time. I made friends with her actor husband, Jack Thompson, an Australian actor who spoke with an Australian or Texas drawl. The ’28 roadster was his car in the movie, and I taught him how to drive the Model A. I was with the cars except for one night when they made a plywood shell for the pickup bed to make it to look like a mail truck.

The food they prepared daily was plentiful and tasty. As I recall, I was paid $200 per day for each car plus extra money when I was used in the film. They paid extra if you had a speaking role, but I didn’t have any speaking part.

My only problem was that Sally put a minor scratch in the dash of the roadster with a picnic basket at Bud Adam’s ranch. The scratch is still there and makes for a good conversation piece. The filming was done primarily at the ranch, Houston, Galveston and briefly near Clear Lake. I drove the cars to these locations and had to remove the license plates before each filming.

Hopefully they paid to have the scratch repaired! Wayne
Old 01-19-2023, 11:45 AM   #12
Y-Blockhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert/Texas View Post
My only problem was that Sally put a minor scratch in the dash of the roadster with a picnic basket at Bud Adam’s ranch. The scratch is still there and makes for a good conversation piece.
Quote:
Originally Posted by McMimmcs View Post

Hopefully they paid to have the scratch repaired! Wayne
My Town Sedan was in the movie "J. Edger" with Leonardo Dicaprio. My car was not a "star" but an "extra".

You can see my Town Sedan in this shoot out scene in the upper righthand corner.

This was before I became custodian. My navigators door still has a blemish where a 'bullet hole' was peeled off, and removed some paint with it.

I was going to have it repaired but it is part of the history of the car. And as Robert/Texas stated "makes for a good conversation piece".
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2023-01-19 at 12.04.52 PM.jpg (19.5 KB, 342 views)

Last edited by Y-Blockhead; 01-19-2023 at 03:20 PM.
Y-Blockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2023, 12:41 PM   #13
Floats

Hi Guys,
Because of the natural beauty of Cape Town and surroundings, movies and adds are often filmed here. Local as well as international firm and photo shoots.
I was often called upon to provide my cars, vintage aeroplanes and our hangar for film and advertisement shoots and films.
28 Model A RPU, 29 Chevy Phaeton, 67 E Type FHC, 67 250SL Pagoda, 83 911 SC
Floats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2023, 12:46 PM   #14
ampico-kid

I've worked on several film/tv productions with my car and never had a bad experience. I have a friend who also did some tv work with his car and they wanted to make it look "used" and dirty. Whatever it was that they put on it destroyed the paint finish. The film company paid to have it repainted, but it was never quite the same again. I always drove my car in the productions that used it. I don't think I would ever just hand over the keys and wave goodbye as it drove off into the sunset. Here I am with my 30 Coupe waiting to go to a very swanky 1940s Birthday Party in the Meg Ryan film "Ithaca".

ampico-kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2023, 02:57 PM   #15
ModelA29

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhsprecher View Post
You should check with your insurance. You may be prohibited from hiring out your car by the terms of your insurance policy..

They can't prohibit you from renting your car. But, your insurance won't be in effect while the car is rented. The studio will have a policy to cover it - be sure to get a copy that specifically states your car is covered and to what extent.

It's all risk vs reward. I worked in studios long enough to be jaded to the star power, hype and to see how they treat movie props. Sure the contracts all call for it to be returned in the same condition but how you you really repair the frame damage to a real 427 Cobra that I saw them slide into the LA River? They'll repaint your car - as cheaply as possible. When I worked for the City of LA I oversaw several shoots on city property. Take detailed before photos and expect delays and many call backs to get the site restored per the contract.
ModelA29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2023, 04:19 PM   #16
Robert/Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhsprecher View Post
I provided my car to the filming of Plot Against America. I drove my car during the filming. Payment for the car and for me was good. Good catering, as was mentioned. We were up all night filming, but overall it was a lot of fun and a good experience. I ended up in about 1 second of the movie.

You should check with your insurance. You may be prohibited from hiring out your car by the terms of your insurance policy.

More than one car provided by others ended up breaking down. My A and a friend's were among the most reliable.

The makeup and costuming people want things just so. You need to wear the clothes they provide and if you have a beard, if it is not period correct, they may want you to shave. I attached a pic of me in "costume." They gave me the shirt and hat. As I was only driving the car, they didn't give me pants to wear. One guy brought his wife, who was in her own period garb. The costume people had a fit.
That's funny, In one scene where I was driving a car they trimmed my hair a little on just the driver side. In another scene near Clear Lake in mid July, another guy and I were supposed to wear real heavy winter coats. We kept taking them off but the lady costume director kept telling us to put them back on. They didn't fire us though.
Robert/Texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2023, 09:00 PM   #17
denis4x4

The Steve McQueen Bullet Mustang sold for Millions and part of the province were the camera mounting holes on the dashboard.
Old 01-19-2023, 10:02 PM   #18
McMimmcs

Quote:
Originally Posted by denis4x4 View Post
The Steve McQueen Bullet Mustang sold for Millions and part of the province were the camera mounting holes on the dashboard.
With all due respect none of these Model A cars belonged to Steve McQueen, none of them have Mustang appeal and none of them will ever sell for Millions of dollars. Consequently there is no comparison. I personally wish there was but unfortunately there is not ! Wayne

Last edited by McMimmcs; 01-20-2023 at 11:31 AM.
Old 01-20-2023, 10:33 AM   #19
denis4x4

Quote:
With all due respect none-off these cars belonged to Steve McQueen, none of them have Mustang appeal and none of them will ever sell for Millions of dollars. Consequently there is no comparison. I personally wish there was but unfortunately there is not ! Wayne

According to the LA TIMES:
The Bullitt Mustang has sold for $3.4 million — $3.74 million including buyers fees — at a Mecum Auction in Kissimmee, Fla. The hammer price was the most money ever spent on a Mustang at public auction, beating the previous record of $2.2 million for the 1967 Shelby GT500 Super Snake set at Mecum’s Kissimmee auction in 2019.

You are correct that McQueen didn't own the car, but he did own a bunch of collector cars and motorcycles that sold at premium prices.
Old 01-20-2023, 12:08 PM   #20
Gold Digger

About 50 some years ago the "Maw Barker" movie was made in my area and they rented a model a pickup in perfect condition from a friend of mine. They told him it would be fully insured and was. They didn't tell him it was to be rolled over and totaled. They paid the going price and he was out of the model a pickup business after that. Six years ago they were making a movie close by and were looking for a Model AA ton and half truck. I was contacted because mine had the right putina on it as it never has been restored but I wasn't interested. Later they came and meet with me about it and we got on a deal. I told them if it got a scratch or dent in the hold movie I was going to have ass-kicking on my mind. So they hired me to drive it. That was my first movie.
Gold Digger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2023, 01:43 PM   #21
fried okra

Location: Daniel Island,SouthCarolina/Knoxville, Tennessee/Sanibel Island,Florida

Way back in the 1970's a friend's 1956 Cadillac was to be used in a movie scene. My friend couldn't be there one day so I drove it down for the filming.

The one day I did that I recall that scene involved an "angry Senator" where they did numerous retakes which involved SLAMMING the driver's door each time.

An old Caddie would hold up to that more than a Model A I'm sure.
fried okra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2023, 05:13 PM   #22
Oldbluoval

Couple of buds cars were used in Road to Perdition.
As noted by Dick, they sprayed to relieve the shine and luster.
Same result…..almost ruined finish. Permanent issues.
Oldbluoval is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2023, 07:19 PM   #23
Ray in La Mesa

We've been a couple films too, they didn't want the shiny paint so they just dusted it with cocoa powder on the darker colors. Then blew it off with an air hose, no damage.
Ray in La Mesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2023, 12:17 AM   #24
Randy in ca

Unexpected things can easily happen on movie sets - ask Alec Baldwin!!
Randy in ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2023, 01:05 PM   #25
ModelA29

Quote:
With all due respect none of these Model A cars belonged to Steve McQueen, none of them have Mustang appeal .....
The Bullitt Mustang NEVER belonged to McQueen. There were 2 purchased by the movie company and prepped by noted SoCal racer and car builder Max Balchowsky. One was pretty much destroyed during filming and was found 5-6 years ago in a Mexico scrap yard. Even though it's been authenticated some doubt exists in the eyes of Mustang collectors. The "hero" car (one used for the close ups and interior shots) had an unbroken provenance from the movie company through a couple owners. At the end of filming both were disposed of by the guy who prepped them. It was the most valuable Mustang until the first Shelby GT350 Competition Model beat it out.
ModelA29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2023, 07:57 PM   #26
Ray in La Mesa

Max Balchowsky, that name brings back great memories of "old Yaller" The race car!
Ray in La Mesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2023, 09:03 AM   #27
Brendan

i would never do it, only way is if i was with my car every day

i can't spell my way out of a paper bag!
Brendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2023, 02:42 PM   #28
McMimmcs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendan View Post
That’s difficult if the filming site is 2300 miles away ( Detroit - SanFrancisco )! Also if you have a lead car in a television series or a movie you are talking significant accommodation and travel expenses. Wayne
Old 01-22-2023, 05:25 PM   #29
1crosscut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendan View Post
Quote:
That’s difficult if the filming site is 2300 miles away ( Detroit - SanFrancisco )! Also if you have a lead car in a television series or a movie you are talking significant accommodation and travel expenses. Wayne

Then I bet he wouldn't do it.
Old 01-22-2023, 06:38 PM   #30
McMimmcs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1crosscut View Post
Then I bet he wouldn't do it.
And I bet you are correct! Wayne
Old 01-23-2023, 02:35 AM   #31
Dodge

Have done it several times with Cars and Boats. Most have been commercials.
Stuff can and does happen but the production companies are always real good about
taking care of things.
The worst I saw was a Dodge "Dog catcher" wagon from the early 1930's. The wagon was parked in front of a period bi-plane that needed to be prop started.
Well they propped it and the wheel chock came out and the plane moved slowly forward
chopping up the back of the wagon and destroying the prop on the plane.
The movie company paid for all the damage and paid the daily rate for the wagon
the whole time it was being fixed.
The owner said it came back better than before the damage and he made a small
fortune while it was in the shop.
Dodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2023, 01:42 AM   #32
40 Deluxe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodge View Post
Have done it several times with Cars and Boats. Most have been commercials.
Stuff can and does happen but the production companies are always real good about
taking care of things.
The worst I saw was a Dodge "Dog catcher" wagon from the early 1930's. The wagon was parked in front of a period bi-plane that needed to be prop started.
Well they propped it and the wheel chock came out and the plane moved slowly forward
chopping up the back of the wagon and destroying the prop on the plane.
The movie company paid for all the damage and paid the daily rate for the wagon
the whole time it was being fixed.
The owner said it came back better than before the damage and he made a small
fortune while it was in the shop.
I read of a Model A with excellent original paint that was rented to a studio. All was well until the movie was finished. Some idiot at the studio (without the owner's knowledge) decided to have the car repainted! Irrepairable damage!
40 Deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote