Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-13-2022, 09:31 PM   #1
Bursonaw

Default Title Woe’s

I have a 1936 Ford Roadster that I purchased from a friend in Idaho 8 years ago. The car came with a clear title. At the time I lived in Connecticut and they do not issue titles for cars older than 25 years. Recently I moved to Virginia and went to title the car with all the proper paperwork. I just received a letter from the Virgina DMV stating that they cannot issue me a title because a title was issued in Oregon with the same VIN number on 11/2021. I clearly have paperwork that shows that I own the car and that the vin number was an original Ford VIN number on the car. Does anyone have any thoughts on what I should do to resolve the issue? I will call the Virginia DMV Monday to get more details.
Bursonaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2022, 09:37 PM   #2
Newc

Default Re: Title Woe’s

Oregon here; Someone in Oregon used that vin #! Does your frame have the original readable vin? Didn't realize the data was National. Get the Oregon details if you can. Send a photo to Oregon DMV with your vin highlited with white chaulk. Oregon clerks do not know the correct font of those numbers. They'll accept any shaped number. Newc
Newc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2022, 10:02 PM   #3
Bursonaw

Thanks for the reply, I will keep you posted to see how things turn out.
Old 08-14-2022, 03:29 AM   #4
ronn

dollars to donuts someone at the dmv in Oregon copied the numbers wrong..........
ronn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2022, 04:45 AM   #5
deuce lover

In OR is that VIN tied to a '36 Ford roadster or another body style?
deuce lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2022, 04:51 AM   #6
Steve in Denver

What is your chassis number? You need to look real close. Ford used the letter "I" in place of the number "1".

If your transmission is original, Ford used the same number on the transmission as they used on the frame.

I can't find it right now, but someone has a list of all the substitute letters for numbers that Ford used.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg transmission number lr.jpg (107.8 KB, 133 views)
Old 08-14-2022, 07:53 AM   #7
Terry,OH

What will it take to satisfy your DMV, ask? If your title is in order and it matches the vehicle. Maybe have your State highway patrol inspect the vehicle and title to certify correctness. If your state DMV doesn't like what another state did then your DMV should straighten it out with the other states DMV. It would seem this, interstate problem, is out of your control.
Terry,OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2022, 08:49 AM   #8
Bursonaw

Tanks everyone for your response. I will keep you posted on my progress.
Old 08-14-2022, 09:03 AM   #9
deuce_roadster

If you do not have the original transmission, someone could have that case and stamped that VIN onto another frame. I would check your trans first. Will be an interesting to see what the solution to this is. Would be nice to know if the car in Oregon has a remake frame.
deuce_roadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2022, 09:29 AM   #10
Oldtmtech

[URL=“https://youtu.be/-FX2vH0ENms"]
National motor vehicle titling information system (NMVTIS)
You are supposed to be able to find info on the other car from there website
As a fellow Virginian I wish you luck but with my past dealings with vadmv it’s going to be difficult depends if you talk to the right person

Todd

Last edited by Oldtmtech; 08-14-2022 at 09:43 AM.
Oldtmtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2022, 09:42 AM   #11
solidaxle

I'd rather be in your shoes then the other guy. If it is truly the same VIN and not a M.V. error. Someone has some explaining to do.
solidaxle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2022, 09:48 AM   #12
Oldtmtech

Hopefully this link works

[URL="https://youtu.be/-FX2vH0ENms"]

Try www.vehiclehistory.gov
Oldtmtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2022, 09:54 AM   #13
rotorwrench

It has only been relatively recent that a database has been available between states. This kind of stuff will likely affect more and more owners of historic vehicles due to clones and street rods that do not have the original frames. When new reproduction bodies started showing up then some builders were looking for original frames to use for original number registrations. When they use a bare frame they should check available databases to make sure their frame didn't come from a street rodded or restomodded car where a new custom frame was used. Some builders may have pulled a number out of thin air without researching it. I'm sure they assume the number was from a car that had been scrapped.

A state DMV used to only be concerned with vehicle numbers in their own state but certain federal laws have been passed that added stuff like a shared federal database. It was just a matter of time before these type problems come up. This matter may have to be taken up in a state court of the new residency. A judge can make a ruling based on the evidence of legal identification and the state DMV will have to accept that ruling.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2022, 10:37 AM   #14
cas3

I have the exact same thing going on here with my jeep. The family I bought it from had it since 82. Then, in 2012 dad was getting ill so they transferred the title to the son. I bought it in spring of 21. Went in to transfer the title and the lady tells me another jeep, same year and same serial number was registered in Washington state in 2013. The numbers are clear and ledge able on my jeep so someone out in WA either made a mistake or made up a number to apply for a title. The problem they tell me is the new computer systems all talk to each other, and will not allow you to enter a number that already exists. In my case, the state says they are working on the problem, and I should try back every couple months to see if it goes thru. Meantime, they keep giving me permits to drive it. Very frustrating when you have a good title in your hand with 40 years of owner history and they tell you its no good !
cas3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2022, 10:42 AM   #15
J Franklin

This is another form of "identity" theft!
J Franklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2022, 11:23 AM   #16
rotorwrench

It can be considered fraud in some cases. Several high profile builders have been to court for things of this nature. The main problem is that a vehicle in a different states jurisdiction would likely not care much about trying to prosecute cases like this unless there are multiple provable violations. That would be closer to provable fraud.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2022, 07:17 PM   #17

I had the same thing happen with my '33 sedan delivery.
It had a clean title from Iowa but Oregon said it was already registered in their database.
I am in Calif.
My registration lady had to write a letter to Calif DMV and to Oregon DMV.
They would not release records to the public.
Calif DMV found out that the Oregon title was for a 1960's foreign car and my title predated their title.
Calif DMV gave me a clean title at that point.
I understand that there are a lot of duplications on earllier VIN numbers, with many assigned to motorcycles.
The DMV's are linked now supposedly so more of this will be coming to light.
I won't be buying any more projects without proof positiv
e the title is good and it is current.
95476 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2022, 07:54 PM   #18
Alan O'Connell

I feel your pain. I've had difficulties with the DMV in Massachusetts both with my 1935 and 1936. I bought my 35 in 1997 and didn't know that I was supposed to pay the sales tax within 20 business days of buying the car. So when I went to the registry in 2011 all I had was a bill of sale and the paperwork from my insurance agent. I had to pay the sales tax as well as a penalty for not getting there within 20 business days. they charge a sales tax on the book value, not what you paid for the car. Luckily they couldn't find the book value so they let me pay the sales tax on what I paid for the car. Then the DMV agent handed me a paper and told me to get a police officer to verify the vin and sign the paper. I did that and went back to the registry. You never get the same person twice so I saw a new guy this time. He wanted to know why I bought the car in 1997 and had it for 14 years before registering it. I explained that it took me that long to restore it. He was skeptical. He told me to get a bond just in case I'm at a car show and somebody comes up to me and tells me that my car is actually his and it was stolen years ago. I went to my insurance agent and got a bond. The bond cost me $400. I went back to the registry a fourth time. Once again I got a different person. I handed her all my paper work. As she's going though everything she holds up the bond and says, "What's this for?" I explained why I got the bond. She said, "You don't need a bond!" and puts my paper work through.
Alan O'Connell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2022, 03:26 PM   #19
solidaxle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan O'Connell View Post
I feel your pain. I've had difficulties with the DMV in Massachusetts both with my 1935 and 1936. I bought my 35 in 1997 and didn't know that I was supposed to pay the sales tax within 20 business days of buying the car. So when I went to the registry in 2011 all I had was a bill of sale and the paperwork from my insurance agent. I had to pay the sales tax as well as a penalty for not getting there within 20 business days. they charge a sales tax on the book value, not what you paid for the car. Luckily they couldn't find the book value so they let me pay the sales tax on what I paid for the car. Then the DMV agent handed me a paper and told me to get a police officer to verify the vin and sign the paper. I did that and went back to the registry. You never get the same person twice so I saw a new guy this time. He wanted to know why I bought the car in 1997 and had it for 14 years before registering it. I explained that it took me that long to restore it. He was skeptical. He told me to get a bond just in case I'm at a car show and somebody comes up to me and tells me that my car is actually his and it was stolen years ago. I went to my insurance agent and got a bond. The bond cost me $400. I went back to the registry a fourth time. Once again I got a different person. I handed her all my paper work. As she's going though everything she holds up the bond and says, "What's this for?" I explained why I got the bond. She said, "You don't need a bond!" and puts my paper work through.

What happened to the guy claiming the car was his and was stolen 14 years ago? It must have been B.S. on his part.
solidaxle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2022, 04:18 PM   #20
Carl

... what happens a lot is a person buys a frame and the seller keeps the title with numbers that match the frame. It could be an original Ford frame or one that has assigned numbers on it. The seller wants the title to use on another car. The person who buys the frame may or may not use and try to register it right away in his name. Then when you get to DMV, they tell you your title is already registered to somebody else.
Carl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2022, 07:02 PM   #21
Alan O'Connell

Quote:
Originally Posted by solidaxle View Post
What happened to the guy claiming the car was his and was stolen 14 years ago? It must have been B.S. on his part.
The DMV is B.S.
Alan O'Connell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2022, 08:09 PM   #22
tubman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan O'Connell View Post
The DMV is B.S.
That attitude will get you a long way if you have registration problems.

You really can't fight City Hall on stuff like this. You'll catch more flies with honey than vinegar.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2022, 08:38 PM   #23
Karl Wolf

There are people out there who make a career of handling DMV.
I used one to register a motorcycle in Ca.
A complicated transaction became quite simple.
This guy was found through a local motorcycle group.

Karl
Karl Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2022, 10:42 PM   #24
uncle buck

My guess is that the title was lost at one time and the owner filed for a lost title to sell the car, then the title was found and sold at a later date. I've been stuck in that situation in the past where the original car was sold and shipped to Canada and the duplicate title was used to sell a parts car.
uncle buck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2022, 05:08 AM   #25
randy993

VA should have a DMV officer that handles stolen vehicles and applications for new titles, collision repair and so on. That’s who you should try and make friends with…good luck
randy993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2022, 09:21 AM   #26
sidevalve8ba

I can't help but think that some of the problem is caused by states that stop issuing titles after a car reaches a certain age. That may not be the case in this instance but I have seen it in the past. You can't help but feel more confident when you go to register a car when you have a title in hand as opposed to just a bill of sale and a registration card. At least Virginia continues to issue titles regardless of the age of the vehicle.
sidevalve8ba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2022, 07:28 AM   #27
ronn

The DMV is B.S.

I agree. I have grabbed my papers out of dmvs hands, gone to another and passed it right through.

point is dont take NO for an answer. Did you accept no from the prettiest girl in HS?

Old 08-19-2022, 08:27 AM   #28
pistonbroke

So My wife buys a 1946 Cad coup at an estate sale. She gets a ton of history an paper but no Title. We file for lost title get registration only for three years and feel comfortable be cause we have all the background paperwork showing the last thirty plus years of the car. Three years go by and we get our official title in the mail and all is well. The funny thing is on the the title it says the last state the car was registered in three ago was Texas and we know for a fact the car was in a tech school body shop for the last seven and in storage in Seattle for over a decade before that. The car was bought new Fresno and came to Washington in 1962 and has never been in texas in its life. HMMM?
pistonbroke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2022, 10:24 PM   #29
Bursonaw

Here’s an update on my title woes. I have spent several hours talking to the Virginia, Idaho, Washington State and Oregon DMV’s. I was able to get some history on my car and the car out of Oregon. My car was titled in Idaho in 1998 until I purchased the car in 2014 and prior to 1998 the car was purchased out of Washington State. The Oregon car is a 36 2dr Coupe and was titled in Oregon sometime in 2017 after it was purchased out of Washington state. When I contacted the Washington DMV, I found that they have no record of either car, as they do not keep records beyond six years if a vehicle has been inactive in their system. The vin number search ended for both cars there, But did find it interesting that the both cars history lead to Washington state sometime in the 60’s.
Prior to 2019 the NMVTIS (National Motor Vehicle Title Information System) was rolled out nationally, however some states are still not on the system. Oregon joined the NMVTIS system in 2020, but if a title is transferred within the same state they do not do a title search in the NMVTIS system. Some other states might do the same. This does not explain how more than one car could have the same vin number. So that’s why in the NMVTIS system it showed that both cars were merged in 2017 and neither myself or the Oregon car owner was ever notified of any issues. So after much discussion Oregon DMV, they reached out to their NMVTIS division and they told me that they have now separated the titles of both cars and verified that they are separate cars even though they have the same vin number. At this point I am waiting for the NMVTIS system to be updated and show that my Idaho title is now clear so it can be titled in Virginia. There is still no answer as to how the cars wound up with the same vin number but I do have some theory’s. In 1936 Ford put the vin number on the chassis and the transmission. If the cars were in the same shop they could have swapped transmissions or frames during restoration then sold them to someone in different states and it wasn’t discovered until the NMVTIS system was in place. Once this is all settled I plan to pay for a vehicle history report from NMVTIS just to have an official record of my title history. Hopefully by next week I will have a final answer from Virgina DMV. I will keep everyone posted, thank you everyone for your posts and support!

Last edited by Bursonaw; 09-05-2022 at 06:17 PM.
Old 08-19-2022, 11:01 PM   #30
mhsprecher

Interesting story but an acceptable outcome. I am surprised that they were able to come to some resolution. One of my favorite DMV "stories" was written by New York Times columnist Russell Baker. https://books.google.com/books?id=r6...20died&f=false
1939 Deluxe Fordor
1945 pickup
1951 Custom convertible
mhsprecher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2022, 12:40 PM   #31
blucar

Reading through the many contribution to this thread I did not see any mention made about the serial number's on Early Ford V8's, '32-48, approximately, being stamped on the rear cross member over the differential.
I now of three occasions where the Serial Number was missing from the left front frame rail, and the trans did not have a serial number, the body was lifted off of the frame to reveal the rear Serial Number.
Having experienced difficulty with missing titles, etc., on old cars I have purchased, I secure clear title to any vehicle I purchase before I spend one dime on the repair and or restoration of a vehicle.
Once I start to work on a vehicle I secure registration and insurance on the vehicle. In California a vehicle can be titled/registrated then put on NON-Op.. Once the vehicle is going to be put on the road you send in the fees to bring the registration up to date.. No inspections, etc., required.
Old 08-22-2022, 08:01 AM   #32
Terry,OH

It is possible the other car has a transposed number in it's title. Clerks can make mistakes. The only way to solve is to have the other vehicle inspected.
Terry,OH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2022, 02:55 PM   #33
Yoyodyne

I can add to be careful about cars from PA that have not been titled recently and don't have a title included. Lots of documents were lost at PADOT during the Hurricane Agnes flood in 1972. If you apply for a duplicate title for a car that was last titled prior to that event, you are likely to get a response of "no information found". If you have a title in hand, they will honor that title but make sure it does not get lost before you get the new one. I have a couple vehicles purchased before that, PADOT thinks they don't exist when I inquire about licensing, so I'm being real careful about the titles. If you buy a PA car w/o a paper title you may have to get one some other way.
Yoyodyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2022, 04:27 PM   #34
5851a

I have a few titles from cars of my grandparents from back in the 50's. The cars were junked, and titles were just in a box of old paperwork. Easy to see they were typed manually on a typewriter at courthouse. Wish you best of luck with new systems.
5851a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2022, 10:02 PM   #35
Carl

...VIN numbers on early Ford V8 vehicles originally were stamped in 4 places when they left the factory, at least in the US. On top of transmission, or bellhousing,one just in front of firewall, one about midway on frame, and one on frame rail near rear crossmember.
Old 08-23-2022, 11:32 PM   #36
cas3

Well, my dilemma came to an end today with success. Refer to post 14 for the back story. I deal with a small town DMV, they all know me, and usually have pleasant visits.
Keep in mind this has been going on since may of 2021.

In this case when we were all confused by the title being "flagged" in Washington state, which means they already knew there was a problem, one gal in the office put up a post it note in her cubicle with my phone # and info to check the status every so often, and by golly she did check periodically, as she would inform me whenever I came in for current tags on the rest of the fleet. Finally, she called me the other day and the flag was gone, come in and we'll try it she said.

Sure enough, the title application went thru without the computer stopping us, with the original #'s.
Next problem was the new computer system does not know what a jeep is. The old title said jeep for manufacturer, so we changed that to willys, probably correct anyway, but then for model it would not accept jeep. Pickup? she asks? well...not really I say, sport utility? well...ok !! So, its in the mail supposedly, and I am happy they did not want an inspection or worse yet assign a new modern VIN number to stick on the poor old thing ! Good luck to all who play this game !!!

Last edited by cas3; 08-23-2022 at 11:34 PM. Reason: add
Old 08-24-2022, 12:51 AM   #37
tomcarman

Good for you cas3. It can sometimes be difficult to transact with Wa state DMV. I am fortunate that I have a friend who owns a licensing agency and will advise me of the legalities. As an aside we have all original '32 running gear and engine but no frame. We had been hoping to get a frame and assemble a rolling chassis then find a body and get it titled. She advised that home built cars (except kit cars) out of parts are not eligible for a title in Wa.
tomcarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2022, 02:13 AM   #38
tubman

When I built my first "Hot Rod" ( a "T" bucket) in the mid-sixties, I was not too sophisticated and jumped through all the hoops to get a 1966 Minnesota "Homebuilt" title. I still have it, and am just about finishing it for the second time. I am able to put 1966 "YOM" p0lates on it, which I think will be totally appropriate.
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2022, 03:36 PM   #39
ronn

tomcar, prey tell why you would apply for a home built title over an antique car title?

there is no inspection for an antique in WA state according to those Ive traded "paper" to......
Old 08-24-2022, 04:05 PM   #40
DennisN

Well I’ve followed this with a good amount of interest and I am very happy thee the issue has been resolved.
I purchased a collection of parts in January of this year without a title.
I will say up front that I don’t think my issue could have turned any better than it has.
No title and no idea where the title might be I filed a search with the Nebraska DMV for any record of a title for the vehicle. Sure enough after about 10 days I received a letter with the name and address of the last title holder of the vehicle. It was last titled in 1974.
So the following Saturday morning I drove to the address and knocked on the door not having any clue what to expect.
A gentleman around 83 years of age answered the door, after introducing myself I explained why I was there and ask would he be willing to help me get it straightened out. I was extremely happy to hear him say yes !! After about 2 weeks of working ith the DMV I now have a title for my project.
Sharing only because I don’t think Title issues ever go this smooth. PS. I am the 4th owner since he titled it. - no one else ever titled it.
DennisN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2022, 04:14 PM   #41
cas3

Thats good that your state keeps the records that long, many do not. Years ago I bought a few cars out of a junk yard in South Dakota, and there the county has record of the license plate numbers, or did back then, so if you had a plate you could usually find the owner or a relative at least.
Old 08-24-2022, 09:50 PM   #42
Tinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl View Post
... what happens a lot is a person buys a frame and the seller keeps the title with numbers that match the frame. It could be an original Ford frame or one that has assigned numbers on it. The seller wants the title to use on another car. The person who buys the frame may or may not use and try to register it right away in his name. Then when you get to DMV, they tell you your title is already registered to somebody else.

You think that happens a lot? Or is that a theory. Guess it could happen. But not likely.
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2022, 10:14 PM   #43
cas3

I have bought field cars from the farmer who was the original owner and most likely has a title or some papers in the house and they are too lazy to look. Don't care, not their problem.
Old 08-24-2022, 10:27 PM   #44
Carl

I believe it does happen a lot. I just bought a 32 rolling chassis that had the VIN # ground off near the firewall. The other 2 VIN #s were still on the frame. I checked the #s at DOT office and the #s had already been applied to another car. However, I knew the previous owner wanted to keep the title and that was part of the deal.
Old 08-24-2022, 10:38 PM   #45
Tinker

Carl you bought a car with a ground out vin and no title. Soooo....

Not saying it doesn't happen.
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2023, 02:02 AM   #46
Bursonaw

Title in Hand!

It only took countless phone calls to the Oregon, Idaho, Washington, Connecticut and Virginia DMV offices, hours on hold and countless explanations to different people each time I called. Seven months later I finally receive a title for my roadster!

Let me do a recap of my situation. In 2014 I purchased a 36 Ford Roadster from a friend in Idaho with a current and clear title. I shipped the car to Connecticut and registered the car with no issues, however CT does not title cars out of state that are older than 25 years. In 2022 I brought the car to Virginia and proceeded to register and title the car. I later received a letter telling me that there was another car in Oregon with the same VIN number and put a hold on my car’s title until the conflict was cleared. This started an investigation into the history of ownership of my car and of the car in Oregon with the same VIN number. The very first thing I found out was that getting detailed information about a car that you don’t own is not easy, however I was able to get enough information to follow a partial history trail. I tracked both cars history back to the mid 60’s that started in Washington state. My 36 Ford Roadster went to Idaho where I later purchased the car in 2014. The other car turned out to be a 36 Ford Tudor Sedan that went to Oregon. There were several owners of that car and it was last titled in 2021.

The next thing I found was that prior to 2019 State DMV’s did not share title information between states and in 2019 the National Motor Vehicle Title Information System (NMVTIS) was adopted by most states and started sharing information nationally. The NMVTIS system did show that under the VIN number I owned the car in 2014 and when the OR car was titled in 2021 NMVTIS transferred VIN ownership to that car in OR. If CT DMV would have titled my car back in when it was registered in 2014 this issue might have been discovered earlier. I now had to prove that the cars were different cars and convince the DMV’s that two cars somehow had the same VIN numbers. In 1936 Ford used 9 digit numbers located on the frame near the steering box, the transmission housing and on the frame on top of the rear hump that can only be seen with the body off the car. Ford also did not associate their VIN numbers with a body style, which would have been helpful in my search. The only thing that I could figure out is that both cars were in WA in the 60’s and possibly in the same shop. The VIN number or transmission housing was used to title one or both of the cars in a different state.

I do have to give kudos to the people I worked with at the OR DMV. Once I was able to get to the right people and the NMVTIS desk they were able to work through the issues by separating the cars in the NMVTIS system. Sounds simple enough, but getting two state agencies on the same sheet of music took a lot of time and coordination witch did required some out of the box thinking to get the end result.

Lessons learned

Even if you have a clear car titled prior to 2019 particularly with an older VIN number, you could still potentially have similar title issues when you buy or sell a car. The NMVTIS system was designed for modern 17 digit VIN numbers that all car manufactures use today. So older VIN numbers have a higher potential of issues. You can order for a fee a NMVTIS VIN number search if you have concerns. Unfortunately when I tried the website I used would not accept older VIN numbers. You might have better luck.
https://vehiclehistory.bja.ojp.gov/n...history#w7o24a

Most of the people I talked to at the DMV’s were very helpful. They do log notes into their system and you almost never get to talk to the same person every time you call, so after a few phone calls, (I called almost every week for 7 months) you just have to give them the VIN number and let them read the notes so you don’t have to explain every time to each person. Keep a log of conversations as well.

I could not talk directly to the NMVTIS desk so getting one state to talk to another was a challenge. so being persistent and calling regularly eventually got my message through. I finally did receive a call directly from the OR NMVTIS desk and once that happened things started moving along.

Once you get things resolved in one state, another state may not accept the information and require other information.

You have to be persistent and do a lot of your own legwork.

I know this was a lengthy post, but I hope that this might be of helpful to someone else. If you have a similar issue I wish you the best of luck!
Old 01-28-2023, 08:29 AM   #47
nickthebandit

I know someone in Massachusetts that bought a model "A" coupe. He sold the original engine to an engine re-builder. He registered his coupe, and, 2 years later the Motor Vehicle Registry told him that his registration was invalid. Someone else had installed the now re-built engine in another model "A", and used the engine number to register the second model "A". It took more than 2 years to straighten out the problem. and the person that I know could not use his model "A" in the mean time.
nickthebandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2023, 08:37 AM   #48
kurt v

I lived in CT for 57 years the idea that CT doesn't title cars after 25 yrs is not quite right, you won't get a title from the state when you reg it but for an extra 15 bucks a title can be purchased.
kurt v is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2023, 09:18 AM   #49
34fordy

In 2012 I purchased a 1933 Ford from a dealer I assumed to be reputable. Two or three days after getting the car home I looked at the title given to me and compared it to the VIN on the frame in front of the firewall. It was not a match. I called the dealer and said I was returning the car immediately. He told me how I could apply for a replacement title. I had lost all interest in the car and confidence in the dealer. My payment was returned with no argument. I have looked at numerous cars since, some with titles and some not. The very first thing I do is make sure that the title and VIN match. If not, I walk away. Experience is the best teacher.
34fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2023, 09:53 AM   #50
Mart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bursonaw View Post
Title in Hand!

Well done. Thanks for finishing the story.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2023, 11:33 AM   #51
JayChicago

Yes, thanks for the information.
"Even if you have a clear car titled prior to 2019 particularly with an older VIN number, you could still potentially have similar title issues when you buy or sell a car."
JayChicago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2023, 02:08 PM   #52
Carl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinker View Post
Carl you bought a car with a ground out vin and no title. Soooo....

Not saying it doesn't happen.
I bought the 32 chassis because it had a complete 32 running gear in it that I will use in another 32 frame that I have a title for. The guy I bought the frame from ground the VIN #s off. so I or someone else could not title it with those #s. A lot of people sell cars, or chassis and keep the clear title for use on another project and the smart ones will remove the VIN #s before they sell the chassis.
Old 01-31-2023, 05:55 PM   #53
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by cas3 View Post
Thats good that your state keeps the records that long, many do not. Years ago I bought a few cars out of a junk yard in South Dakota, and there the county has record of the license plate numbers, or did back then, so if you had a plate you could usually find the owner or a relative at least.
Trouble with something like that now-a-days is "Right To Privacy" laws prohibit giving-out names or identity of PREVIOUS owners.

Coop

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2023, 02:40 AM   #54
hoss73ford

I knew someone who went thru a vehicle inspection checkpoint in Ohio. He had a '62 F100 that was on a late model Crown Victoria frame. Naturally the VIN # didn't match and they yanked his registration on the spot. The cops even said they knew frame swapping was common but the numbers must match to make it legal. He went to a DMV hearing officer and they wouldn't even discuss it. That was about 15 years ago and I don't know what the outcome was.
Another problem is there are likely a number of vintage cars out there that were titled by motor number and not serial or tag number and were never changed thru the years. No one who works at a DMV now was alive when they did that. Big can of worms.
hoss73ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2023, 10:29 AM   #55
oldskool

i had the same issue in ny with a 40 ford pickup someone already used the same vin as mine , i went to dmv and they told me to take a picture of the vin,i did and i got the car registered no problem
oldskool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2023, 12:09 PM   #56
JayChicago

This is the pertinent info I got out of post #46. Things changed in 2019, so now more chances for a duplicate serial number problem to arise:

".....prior to 2019 State DMV’s did not share title information between states and in 2019 the National Motor Vehicle Title Information System (NMVTIS) was adopted by most states and started sharing information nationally."
JayChicago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2023, 11:02 AM   #57
HD

I know what happened, It happens many times with early Fords, Someone has the orig transmission from that car and registered his car with that VIN, A friend has a 1932 Ford registered and has a Ma.title, He got a call from the RMV a few yrs ago and stated someone is trying to title a 1932 Ford with the same VIN, We found out the man bought a transmission at a flea market with the same VIN, He contacted the man who he bought the car from and the man said he sold the orig transmission at a flea market,The RMV said my friends car was registered and titled OK because he has the VIN on the frame
HD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2023, 12:13 AM   #58
Bursonaw

Attachment 509648
Quote:
Originally Posted by kurt v View Post
I lived in CT for 57 years the idea that CT doesn't title cars after 25 yrs is not quite right, you won't get a title from the state when you reg it but for an extra 15 bucks a title can be purchased.
Pulled this information off the CT DMV website.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 220C81C4-AC90-458A-B9AC-63C1B244601B.jpg (69.0 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg BF13C9CD-4689-4014-8D00-1B4AB34F39B6.jpg (139.9 KB, 35 views)

Last edited by Bursonaw; 02-15-2023 at 12:51 AM.
Old 02-15-2023, 11:45 AM   #59
Steve in Denver

I purchased my '36 from Connecticut and titled it in Colorado. Had to go through all kinds of paperwork as there was only a bill of sale. Had to go through all kinds of Title Searches to prove it was not stolen. A 2 month long pain.
Old 04-02-2023, 10:07 PM   #60
Bursonaw

For the Ford Barn folks in Connecticut, I fellow Ford enthusiast was able to receive a CT title for his 1934 Ford Pickup. He was kind enough to document the procedure and share it for anyone in CT seeking a title.

Many thanks to Jim Borbas Jr. for sharing! If you have any questions about the process, you can email him directly at [email protected].

TO OBTAIN A CONNECTICUT TITLE 2023
for exempt vehicles over 20 years old

Refer to Instructions in C.G.S. Section 14-166. Exempted vehicles
Download that section from https://portal.ct.gov/dmv/vehicle-se...-title-service

No in-person appointments

Compose a cover letter with the reason for the title request. Mail your documents to the address listed below

Following the requirements of Sec. 14-166:
1. Use Form H-13B for Title Application (good time to make it OR/JOINT for estate planning)

2. Provide 4 colored pictures in landscape format of the front, rear, left and right sides. You can fit them on one sheet of paper if able or use two.

3. Provide VIN verification per Sec. 14-99h(c): a CT Emissions testing center, a licensed deal- er, or an inspection report Form B-269. Also best to provide a closeup picture of the actual VIN. (Avoid going to Wethersfield as you would get a full inspection.)

4. Proof of recent taxes paid using a copy of your town property tax form/receipt.

Provide a Sworn Statement using Form H-155. In the sworn area write these two things:

a. On <Date>, I purchased the above stated vehicle from
<Name of seller & full address>.

b. I do hereby swear that the <year, make, model> is not a reproduction
or replica and that it has been maintained and restored to a condition
that substantially conforms with the original manufacturer’s
specifications.

6. Provide a copy of the Bill of Sales if the vehicle is a recent purchase, otherwise it’s not necessary.

7. Add a color copy of your driver’s license (and the 2nd named person’s license to be add- ed) on one piece of paper.

Enclose a $35 check for the title only, made out to: DMV
Mail your packet to:
DMV - TITLE UNIT
60 State Street, Wethersfield, CT 06161

Note: If you wish to add a name to the title and your current registration does not have both names, there’s two ways you can go:

1. Include in your paperwork Form Q-1. Plus a color copy of both driver’s licenses on one sheet. This will be an additional fee to update your registration to OR/Joint. Therefore, do not send the $35 check noted above as that’s only for the title. Wait for a call from the Title Unit and if they grant your title request, you can give a credit card over the phone for the total amount then. (If you don’t want to give a credit card, then ask if you can mail a check and to whom.)

2. Or, before you submit your packet you can make an appointment online at a DMV center and update your registration ahead of time for adding a name using Forms Q-1 and H-13B. Both people must be present and submit their driver’s licenses.

3. BUT, before you do ‘1’ & ‘2’ above, make sure you update your auto insurance policy for joint drivers before doing DMV changes.

Any questions, call CT Title Services at: 860-263-5710