Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-28-2023, 04:38 AM   #21
V8COOPMAN

Default Re: A new thread!! Firestone Bias Ply Tires

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldGold360 View Post
It sounds funny to me to hear some folks say they prefer a radial tire because it produces a better ride on their 90 year old vehicle.

It won't sound FUNNY once you actually experience driving on BIAS tires, then changing to RADIAL tires on the same vehicle. Night & day difference.

Coop

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2023, 08:30 AM   #22
ct1932ford

I have used Firestone bias on many cars over the years. I have them on my two 32 Fords I own now. They have been very good. I do not use the tubes from Coker however. I get the tubes from my local tire shop. They are heavier.
Old 01-28-2023, 11:10 AM   #23
OldGold360

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8COOPMAN View Post
It won't sound FUNNY once you actually experience driving on BIAS tires, then changing to RADIAL tires on the same vehicle. Night & day difference.

Coop

I’ve driven on both and I prefer original style bias-ply tires on my classics, and yes I drive them past the coffee shop, but this wasn’t my point. All I was saying is that there are so many “upgrades” that can be done to these 90 year old vehicles. Why not throw a SBC in there as well and change to IFS? It was meant as a light hearted comment but the radial guys had to chime in on a bias-ply thread. 20 years ago, my daily driver had bias-ply tires and my commute to work was 40 miles one way on the freeway. Also, my offroad vehicle had 42” tall bias-ply tires. Try driving on these on a cold day after it was parked for a week. You’ll never complain about the OEM Ford bias-ply tires again.

FYI - I park on “Flatstoppers” and have found that they help for a smooth ride. Also, double check that the tires spin true when new. Every now and then one is slightly out of round and either needs to be replaced or shaved.
OldGold360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2023, 11:32 AM   #24
d.conrad

I've had several sets of Firestone bias ply tires, always with tubes. Has anybody out there put them on '40 Ford wheels without tube? I've heard it's been done.
d.conrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2023, 04:00 PM   #25
Adam/Mill Valley CA

I'm inclined to agree with OldGold360 about bias ply tires. I put a set of Coker classic-look radials on my '36 pickup, which has an entirely stock suspension; after a seemingly never-ending series of pinch flats, despite heavy duty radial specific tubes and 40 psi inflation, I went back to Firestone bias tires. I have never had another pinch flat. My driving is a mix of freeway, in town, and country back roads; it tracks perfectly true on the freeway at 55-60 without any problems, and I really didn't see much advantage to the radials driving at reasonable speeds on curvy roads. I would never consider bias ply tires on any other car I own, but for the '36 they work really well. I actually wound up giving the set of radials to a local 'Barner when I switched back to bias ply.

Adam
1970 911E 2.2 litre dark blue/black
1968 BMW R50/2 US, black (m'cycle)
1967 Triumph TR6R , sea foam/cream (m'cycle)
2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650 red (m'cycle)
1974 Honda CB750 red (m'cycle)
2000 Kawasaki W650 blue/silver (m'cycle)
Adam/Mill Valley CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2023, 05:38 PM   #26
OldGold360

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam/Mill Valley CA View Post
I'm inclined to agree with OldGold360 about bias ply tires. I put a set of Coker classic-look radials on my '36 pickup, which has an entirely stock suspension; after a seemingly never-ending series of pinch flats, despite heavy duty radial specific tubes and 40 psi inflation, I went back to Firestone bias tires. I have never had another pinch flat. My driving is a mix of freeway, in town, and country back roads; it tracks perfectly true on the freeway at 55-60 without any problems, and I really didn't see much advantage to the radials driving at reasonable speeds on curvy roads. I would never consider bias ply tires on any other car I own, but for the '36 they work really well. I actually wound up giving the set of radials to a local 'Barner when I switched back to bias ply.

Adam
Plus you can’t beat the look of a bias-ply.
OldGold360 is offline   Reply With Quote