Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-10-2016, 12:40 PM   #1
psogden

Default Getting fuel from tank to fuel pump

Have a stock 1946 Mercury and recently installed a new steel fuel line but did not want to fatigue my starter motor pumping fuel from tank to carburetor. Went on the forum to get ideas about how to draw fuel from the tank to the fuel pump—but found none.

Now, will pass along a discovery I made. Used a Pump-A-Way which I purchased from Home Depot a couple of years ago for sucking the remaining water out of the bottom of my hot tub before cleaning it. It is a very efficient hand operated suction pump about the size of a bike tire pump.

Removed the cap from the suction side of the pump (which is removable for cleaning the unit) and inserted a lid from a 1 gallon Clorox jug into the opening after drilling a 3/8” hole in the lid. The lid fits perfectly into the opening of the pump. I then slid an 18” piece of clear ¼” fuel hose onto the end of my new fuel line at the dash and clamped.

I inserted the other end of the ¼” hose into the 3/8” hole in the Clorox lid. Found tighter connections can be achieved by wrapping a layer of electrical tape around the Clorox lid and the fuel hose at the Clorox lid side before inserting into the lid. I then operated the pump.

Required about 10 strokes to draw gasoline from the tank into the clear fuel line and no gas went into the hand pump (which is made to pump water). Then I proceeded to connect the stock fuel hose to my new line and fuel pump. I primed the carb with a bit of gasoline & reinstalled air cleaner. Then hit the starter button. Required minimal cranking to start up car because the fuel pump was already primed and full of gas. The “gap” between the fuel pump and carb filled quickly and the engine started right away.
psogden is offline   Reply With Quote