Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-09-2011, 05:26 PM   #1
oj

Default Side windows, '32 cabriolet

I am having a problem with the glass channels in the doors of a cabriolet. The channels were fabricated and wide enough to accept glass with a stainless surround/frame that is 7/16ths wide. The channel itself was made from 3/4 box tube with one side removed to create a channel - but there is not enough space for this assembly inside the door, esp around the door latch operating mechanism.
I am not familiar enough with the cabriolet, what did Ford use for windows and how wide was the original channel? Were the side windows just bare glass or did they have some edging to protect them? How wide?
Thanks, oj
oj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 09:10 PM   #2
33cabriolet

Default Re: Side windows, '32 cabriolet

the cabriolets had a U channel with a spring loaded plate for rollers in the window frame to ride in,there was no felt U channel in the window system.Most cabriolets of the era used this system.The regulators were cabriolet only they had another gear set for the heaver windows.I will send you a picture of the window frame to give you an idea of what they are. John
Attached Images
File Type: jpg s-10el 106.jpg (47.5 KB, 43 views)
33cabriolet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 10:38 PM   #3
Chisel

oj---hmmm. If the glove doesn't fit you must acquit!!!

Chisel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 11:02 PM   #4
Chisel

32 Ford Cabriolet used a chrome steel 7/16" wide frame around the side windows.

First Picture in post 3: At near the bottom of the frame there are 4 sets of 2 holes in the chrome frame. On the bottom left there is a set of 2 rollers or wheels. Four sets of these rollers bolt to the chrome frame and that is what the chrome frame moves on in the U channel. The elaborate U channel has a spring loaded plate that pushes aganist the rollers to hold the window steady. The picture in this post shows a cutout in the channel at 5 to 8"s on the tape measure. This is cutout so the channel will fit around the door latch.
Old 04-10-2011, 11:09 PM   #5
Chisel

32 Ford Cabriolet used a chrome steel 7/16" wide frame around the side windows.

First Picture in post 3: At near the bottom of the frame there are 4 sets of 2 holes in the chrome frame. On the bottom left there is a set of 2 rollers or wheels. Four sets of these rollers bolt to the chrome frame and that is what the chrome frame moves on in the U channel. The elaborate U channel has a spring loaded plate that pushes aganist the rollers to hold the window steady. The picture in this post shows a cutout in the channel at 5 to 8"s on the tape measure. This is cutout so the channel will fit around the door latch.
Old 04-11-2011, 07:26 AM   #6
oj

Chisel, nope the glove don't fit me either!

Those pics are fantastic Chisel, thank you. I have bits and pieces of what you show - enough that i am impressed by the amout of precision workmanship from the people from Ford, this isn't as simple as it could have been. Do you know where i could get those pieces? In the pic showing the rollers everything looks brand new, are they available from somebody?
Thanks, oj
Old 04-11-2011, 11:32 PM   #7
Chisel

oj over the years there has been 3 people that I know of that reproduced 32 cabriolet side window parts to varying degrees of success. I know of no one right now that is repoing them now.
Old 04-12-2011, 04:05 AM   #8
true blue 32 man

Hi oj The rollers were used on 32 thru at least36 and maybe later I saw anew product about a year ago Bob Drake havent seen in his newer catalogues but at least worth a call I have (2) cabriolets and neither of them had the supposed Cabriolet only window lift mechanisms. My windows go up and down with no problems and the lift mechanisms appear to be the same as all other closed car front mechanisms. Both have the special spring loaded window channels pictured in the posts- not mentioned or shown are the special up stops that are cabriolet only. These bolt to the bottoms of the window u channels I have one extra set of these if your interested. pm me
true blue 32 man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 09:14 AM   #9
oj

Thanks guys, I'll give Bob Drake a shout and see if he can fix me up. oj
Old 02-02-2015, 01:04 PM   #10
32cab

This thread is somewhat old but as an update Bob Drake sells a "door window roller kit" under part number 48-6622218 listed under parts for a 35-40 convertible. The kit has 8 dual roller assemblies which fit my '32 window frames and 4 larger single roller assemblies which I did not need.

Bob
Portland, Or.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4141.jpg (138.8 KB, 30 views)
32cab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 06:19 PM   #11
Newdeuce303

Do you have any idea if the roller units will fit a 5 window ?
Newdeuce303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 09:00 PM   #12
32cab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newdeuce303 View Post
Do you have any idea if the roller units will fit a 5 window ?
I don't have any info on 5 windows. Although I have had my '32 for years it is the only one that I have had and I am far from being an expert but I believe that the open cars i.e. cabriolet and convertible had metal frames around the window glass and used these rollers whereas the closed cars did not have frames around the glass but rather the glass slid within felt channels that were inserted into the door frames and no rollers were employed. Hopefully someone with more knowledge will add to this.
Bob
32cab is offline   Reply With Quote