Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 08-04-2017, 08:37 AM   #1
RalphG

Default Asbestos In Cars

I think we have a few Aus. members on this forum and this Hemmings news item does not sound good for anyone considering importing a collector vehicle there. Apparently asbestos is going to be a big problem.
https://www.hemmings.com/blog/2017/0...ia/?refer=news
RalphG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 09:00 AM   #2
TJ

Default Re: Asbestos In Cars

Asbestos is a natural occurring element. I'll bet there is plenty of it floating around in Australia just as a natural element. What little comes in on cars is probably miniscule compared to what occurs naturally.
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 09:51 AM   #3
rotorwrench

I guess a person would gave to get a high dollar tester to check the brake shoe linings since that's about the only use of asbestos in automotive applications. Typical government knee jerk reaction to a non-problem. There may still be a few cars out there that have the old brake shoes but I doubt there are a lot of them.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 10:48 AM   #4
19Fordy

A perfect government example of "Let's make a mountain out of a mole hill".
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 11:24 AM   #5
flatford8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19Fordy View Post
A perfect government example of "Let's make a mountain out of a mole hill".
An elephant is a mouse...... built to government specifications..... Mark
Billy Joe Shaver
flatford8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 11:36 AM   #6
4t8v8

No need to bring facts into the issue. Because the issue is not asbestos, it's CONTROL! As long as people will put up with it, it will just get worse.
4t8v8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 12:17 PM   #7
petehoovie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4t8v8 View Post
No need to bring facts into the issue. Because the issue is not asbestos, it's CONTROL! As long as people will put up with it, it will just get worse.
You nailed it 4t8v8! No different than the so called 'Green' movement and climate change/global warming. It has nothing to do with the climate/weather/environment. It's all about social engineering and big/more government! Orwell was a genius....

"Silver rings, your butt! Them's washers!"
"We shot our way out of that town for a dollar's worth of steel holes!" - from 'The Wild Bunch' - 1969

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NReUd2_0u0
petehoovie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 12:35 PM   #8
1931 flamingo

Asbestos (and it's removal) is one of the biggest scams perpetuated on the American (and now Aussie) public. JMO
Paul in CT
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 02:12 PM   #9
RalphG

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotorwrench View Post
I guess a person would gave to get a high dollar tester to check the brake shoe linings since that's about the only use of asbestos in automotive applications. Typical government knee jerk reaction to a non-problem. There may still be a few cars out there that have the old brake shoes but I doubt there are a lot of them.
Exhaust gaskets too. They are super fussy about it and it gets expensive.
Quote" According to an account by Australian collector car importer Terry Healy that received widespread attention across Australia – and that may have prompted the ABF to issue its notice – extensive testing on the 1965 Ford Mustang and 1966 Shelby G.T. 350 he had shipped to Australia earlier this year cost roughly $15,000, caused $12,000 in damages due to destructive testing of samples from the two cars, and led to the seizure of a number of parts found to contain asbestos, among them the brake pads, brake shoes, exhaust manifold gaskets, and exhaust pipe gaskets. "
RalphG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 03:25 PM   #10
mrtexas

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1931 flamingo View Post
Asbestos (and it's removal) is one of the biggest scams perpetuated on the American (and now Aussie) public. JMO
Paul in CT
Asbestos is no good for the average Joe. However, asbestos exposure and smoking are a deadly combination. I agree the way asbestos risk has been managed and the lawyering up is a big scam.
Old 08-04-2017, 04:11 PM   #11
supereal

Many years ago, when I was a Ford mechanic, it was common to clean the brake backing plates with compressed air, scattering the asbestos particles. Now, in our shop, we use a water hose for the job. The other source of asbestos was the clutch disk, but it was contained in the clutch housing. As asbestos is very dangerous if inhaled. Most, if not all, of the mechanics that worked on the "brake rack" back then perished from lung cancer! Being careful is not a scam!
supereal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 05:58 PM   #12
5851a

I'm sure it's not good for us but from the way it sounds we should all be dead. Didn't everyone's Mom or Grandmother has the big asbestos covered hot plate thing on the stove and a asbestos lined ironing board cover? Where did all the brake shoe and clutch disk material go from all the cars over the years. All of our schools had the plumbing and heating wrapped with it hanging over our heads. Don't get me wrong as I don't think it's good for us. Was just a rant on my part but I'm tired of this generation having to put the planet back to the dinosaur age. Don't intend to derail this thread but the world needs to look at irresponsible overpopulation. JMO
5851a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 06:32 PM   #13
Kruzn40

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1931 flamingo View Post
Paul in CT
That's a very easy thing to say when you're not the guy who has been diagnosed with a physical disability due to exposure to the stuff in the workplace. Ask me how I know!!
Kruzn40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 06:38 PM   #14
Capt Kirk

I believe that asbestos is bad and I also know that there's other things just as bad that aren't hammered like asbestos here. Years ago I heard that other countries in the world don't regulate asbestos like we do but have similar regulations for fiberglass insulation that we do for asbestos. I worked as a carpenter in my younger years stuffing fiberglass insulation...sometimes without any breathing protection. I was involved in a asbestos insulation removal from retorts at a salmon cannery in Alaska years ago. We had air hoses going to our suits, the area was contained in visqueen and vacuum fans were sucking through filters. The insulation was double bagged and sealed and labeled and hauled off to somewhere. I think this asbestos thing is way overblown.
Empty wallet
Capt Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 06:52 PM   #15
mercman from oz

I just received the following email on this subject:-

What a load of BS this is. As a Certified Hazardous Material Inspector (by the EPA in 1987) I can tell you that the only time asbestos is hazardous is when it is "firable" or can easily crumble and become dust or very fine particles. The problem with asbestos is that it can become "super-fine", or so small it manages to reach the farthest interior parts of the lungs and remains there.

So parts like gaskets, etc., are not a problem until someone takes them out and grinds them into dust, etc.

The biggest problem encountered back in '87 when I took the training was trying to keep vigilante groups from coming into schools, etc. to perform their own "removal actions". I heard stories of some who came into schools with rakes and garden hoes and the like to rip the stuff off the walls and ceilings where it then became the dust that is the problem. They should have left it alone and there would not have been a problem if it was deemed necessary to remove it, at which time the correct methods could have been used. I heard of some schools that had to be closed because the vigilantes made such a mess with their good intentions.

Another thing I learned was that asbestos was used in something like 3200 various building materials back in the 1950s and '60s.

MM
mercman from oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 07:15 PM   #16
weemark

there is differing kinds of asbestos and some of them are more dangerous than others. As said up thread its the dust that's dangerous. when we had asbestos removed from our house we had to double wrap it in thick polythene and tape it up with tape saying asbestos on it. the local govt. agreed to take it and dispose of it, I asked what they actually done with it and he said they buried it - the reason for the tape was so that if it was ever dug up then whoever dug it up would know it was asbestos, the double wrapping was only to try and stop any loose stuff getting into the air and possibly affecthing those handling it.
weemark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 07:36 PM   #17
Darrell S

I worked in oil refineries as a pipe fitter for years. We most always had insulators working around us and the asbestos insulation at times looked like snow there was so much flying around. I understand that it is dangerous. But when I see on TV a hazardous waste crew coming into a home remodeling project and charging thousands of dollars to remove one asbestos covered pipe or duct I wonder where common sense went.

Anything the government controls soon gets out of control cost wise.
Darrell S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 08:37 PM   #18
mercman from oz

Simply put, it means JOBS, JOBS, JOBS.
As you probably know, Ford Australia ceased manufacturing in October 2016. In October this year, General Motors Holden will build their last cars. That means no more local manufacturing of cars in Australia. Now, what to do with all these people who have lost their jobs through no fault of their own? We have to be creative and think up new jobs. As easy target is the old car enthusiast. Employ a special guy or team to remove Asbestos from secondhand collector cars coming in, and you have created a job. On the same theme as JOBS, my mate bought a near new home which had an above ground swimming pool which he, his wife, kids and grandkids never used. He put an Ad on eBay and the pool got sold. When the pool guy came to remove it, he was told that he had to notify the Council that the pool was gone. When he contacted the Council, he was referred to another company who handled swimming pools. The cost to come out and do a Report to Council was $500. You would have thought that a simple before and after photo would have sufficed, but no, they needed an official Report. It all comes down to JOBS. If we cannot create a Job that makes something, we need to be inventive and create a Job just so someone has employment. Don't worry about the consequences or flow on effect. This is exactly what has happened with this Asbestos issue. The average old house would have a truckload of Asbestos, but being creative, attack the old car collector. Australia is fast becoming a country of regulations. The only people that seem to be making money are the Lawyers.
mercman from oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 09:46 PM   #19
Binx

And I'll bet some of those bureaucrats working in an older office building typing out new regulations have asbestos floor tile under their carpet.

Lonnie
Binx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 10:48 PM   #20
Bubsyouruncle

Come on, guys,depending on your politics you can make a big deal out of this or a not so big deal.

Asbestos is hazardous. That is a fact. It can kill you. End of story.

But. . . There is one hydrogen of hydrogenation between Talcum Powder and Asbestos. Fact. So all that talc you might throw on your babies contains a little bit of asbestos.

If you worked in a shipyard, or served in the Navy in the engine room (as I did), or a worked in a furnace place or some of those other places where you were exposed to it on regular basis you had high hazard.

But, the ambulance chasers caught on and that is why we, who have little exposure potential, have to deal with it.

Don't blame government controls for protection from nasty stuff for the costs. Blame the entrepreneur lawyers for seeing a way to make a bundle.

but that is just my take on the situation.
Bubsyouruncle is offline   Reply With Quote