Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-10-2020, 04:15 PM   #21
Mulletwagon

Default Re: Gland rings

They install easy enough so they should be used. If the install was as difficult as putting socks on a rooster I would not bother since the benefit is probably minimal.
Mulletwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 06:24 PM   #22
shew01

Default Gland rings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulletwagon View Post
as difficult as putting socks on a rooster

Nice analogy. I haven’t heard that one before. :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
shew01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2020, 05:00 PM   #23
jerrytocci

UPDATE>>>>>I got # 1 & 4 to line up and results were great . Also , I used

UPDATE ......I used JB weld to fix the exhaust manifold and level it off . # 1 % 4 have gland rings lined up and it sounds quiet. Thanks to all

jb
jerrytocci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2020, 05:08 AM   #24
SAJ

According to the SDS for JB weld extremeheat it is not an epoxy but a sodium silicate (water glass) putty containing steel fines. A single pack product containing water and finally set by heat after drying.
This makes sense because no epoxy can withstand more than about 260 deg C (500 deg F)and Extremeheat claims 1300 deg C (2372 deg F) which is white heat - way above red heat (about 550 deg C)!
The downside is water glass is brittle and has poor adhesive properties. It is not "sticky" like epoxies
SAJ in N Z
SAJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 08:37 AM   #25
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAJ View Post
According to the SDS for JB weld extremeheat it is not an epoxy but a sodium silicate (water glass) putty containing steel fines. A single pack product containing water and finally set by heat after drying.
This makes sense because no epoxy can withstand more than about 260 deg C (500 deg F)and Extremeheat claims 1300 deg C (2372 deg F) which is white heat - way above red heat (about 550 deg C)!
The downside is water glass is brittle and has poor adhesive properties. It is not "sticky" like epoxies
SAJ in N Z
Have you actually used the ExtremeHeat product??

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 12:32 PM   #26
alexiskai

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRENT in 10-uh-C View Post
Have you actually used the ExtremeHeat product??
I dunno about him, but I just bought some per your recommendation for the exhaust port pitting and I'm gonna try it this weekend. Will report back about its adhesive properties.
alexiskai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 03:37 PM   #27
SAJ

Brent, I have not used JB weld Extremeheat. My comments are only from the view of an industrial chemist who has formulated similar products many years ago. And to correct the statements that it is an epoxy.
I currently have a Devcon silicate single pack product and another silicate paste containing steel fines on my shelves, I think called "liquid steel" or something. I used them only where supported from escape, as in sandwiched under a gasket etc , because they do not adhere and cling on when not restrained and have no flexibility to resist expansion and contraction with large temperature changes.
Cured silicate glass is very brittle.
I manufactured many well known silicate cracked-block additives in the 70's to add to radiator water. They could be a permanent fix if the crack was in a suitable place and compression was relieved in the cylinder in question until combustion heat from adjacent cylinders cured the silicate. In these cases the silicate was trapped and could not fall out of the crack.
Epoxies have an inherent adhesive quality and flexibility (if properly formulated) that allow them to stay put in external cracks.
None of the sodium silicate products I have tried are good at this in exposed cracks. That does not mean it is impossible, since new compounds are being devised every day.
And again these are only my opinions. In my business my chemists and I I are always experimenting, observing and recording.
Re-readiing the original posts and replies, I should add that Extremeheat should work well to level the block or manifold under the gasket and I was not criticising its use in this application. Only correcting that it is not an epoxy and I do not think it suitable where it can crack and "fall out" of exposed open repairs.
SAJ in NZ

Last edited by SAJ; 12-14-2020 at 03:43 PM. Reason: Added content after re reading posts
SAJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 03:54 PM   #28
Ed in Maine

I see the advantage of using the gland rings to hold the manifold in correct alignment. However, if you cannot mount the gland rings due to a sagging manifold and the manifold is not cracked and very useable, is there any harm done to the block by not using the gland rings. In other words, is there any harm done trying to get a few more miles out of the manifold? Ed
Ed in Maine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2020, 04:36 PM   #29
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed in Maine View Post
I see the advantage of using the gland rings to hold the manifold in correct alignment. However, if you cannot mount the gland rings due to a sagging manifold and the manifold is not cracked and very useable, is there any harm done to the block by not using the gland rings. In other words, is there any harm done trying to get a few more miles out of the manifold? Ed
Ed, I guess it is like this. Yes for the alignment but the gland rings typically keep the manifold from sagging to begin with. To me it is like, do I need to remove the nail from the tire, -or can I just keep airing up the tire each time I drive it. From my perspective in the cheap seats, I would leave a manifold as-is if it is still mounted on the engine however I would straighten the manifold if it were off of the engine for some reason.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote