Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-24-2020, 02:25 PM   #14
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Default Re: "A" with wooden spoke wheels....

Quote:
Originally Posted by 700rpm View Post
Wood rots, with bad, sometimes fatal, results. Even if I owned a T, I would put steel wheels on it.

(I would love to have a 26-27 T coupe. It is my favorite pre A design. But I find them impossible to drive, and even more dangerous than an A in modern traffic.)
Ray, I think this is a unwarranted 'preconceived thought' that Model-Ts are dangerous with wooden wheels. While I agree that wood can rot, most hickory spokes do not if the vehicle is garage kept and maintenanced properly. All of my Model-Ts (-with the exception of 1) have wood wheels, and I have no problem driving 50 mph. Below is my 1915 that we think nothing of touring 300 miles a day in.

As for a T being dangerous in modern traffic, I guess there is some truth in that however I just make sure I drive mine on safer roads so as not to endanger me or others. I just drive on backroads or divided highways that typically have 55mph (-or less) speed limits, and I try to run in the 45-50 mph to stay out of harms way. I also watch my rear view mirror for cars closing from behind and I just ease over to the shoulder of the road to let them by if need be. I stay off of interstates -or any roads that would create stress for me and other drivers, ...but with that said I have no problem driving any of my T's on any roads that others would drive a non-hot rodded Model-A.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg ModelT0.jpg (73.2 KB, 70 views)
File Type: jpg ModelT2.jpg (40.6 KB, 57 views)
File Type: jpg ModelT1.jpg (34.7 KB, 59 views)
File Type: jpg ModelT GPS2.jpg (58.0 KB, 53 views)
File Type: jpg ModelT GPS3.jpg (40.5 KB, 58 views)

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote