Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 03-15-2017, 07:41 AM   #1
Hoop

Default Gas Tank Recommendations '35 PU?

I need to replace my '35 pickup gas tank. What is your best advice ... steel or poly? Which vendor? Thanks for offering your experiences.
Old 03-15-2017, 07:49 AM   #2
41PICUP

Default Re: Gas Tank Recommendations '35 PU?

Are you restoring it ? Drake for a restoration, Tanks if your building a driver, with Tanks you have a choice of either poly or metal.
41PICUP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 10:41 AM   #3
JM 35 Sedan

I bought a Bob Drake steel repro gas tank advertised for '35-'36, but it is actually correct for '36. I'm planning to use it in a '35 tudor slant back sedan that will never be a show car anyway. It did bolt on my frame correctly and looks original except for the gas line hookup coming out of the front wall of the tank. If I were thinking about buying another new tank, I might consider going with the stainless version if I could find one at a reasonable price.
A few years ago, one of our fordbarn members was driving his early Ford pu from Va to a show in Pa. He accidently ran over a piece of scrap metal laying in the road, that flew up and punched a hole in his Poly tank and someone following him flagged him down to let him know that gas was gushing out of his tank. He pulled over to deal with that mess, and was very lucky that things did not turn into a total disaster. He wound up draining the Poly tank and bought an outboard motor tank and hooked it into his gas line and drove it to Pa that way. I know this was an unusual situation, but it will always stick in my mind if I ever need to buy another gas tank.

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 10:47 AM   #4
hotrodart

I recently replaced my original tank on my "40 with a stainless tank from Drake......excellent fit and only took a couple of hours. The outlet line fitting is a bit different, though. The original steel tank was pretty well crapped up (surface rust) from the ethanol 10% blend gas.
hotrodart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 04:14 PM   #5
39portlander

Hoop In my 39 P/U I used a poly that is 19 gallons from Tanks Unlimited, the fit is great and there will be no rust issues. Scott
39portlander is offline   Reply With Quote