Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Late V8 (1954+)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-27-2021, 06:30 PM   #1
1930artdeco

Default PS idler arm

Hi all,

I have new bushings for my PS idler arm but the bushings that I took off had these cups. Do I need to keep them with the new bushings? They were the original bushings.

Thanks,

Mike
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 306280A0-17C9-433B-A1B9-72653CDA1289.jpeg (156.2 KB, 189 views)
Old 05-28-2021, 04:05 AM   #2
KULTULZ

Question Re: PS idler arm

What are you working on?

- DISCLAIMER -

The above posted information is in my opinion only (IMO) and may contain copy and paste material(s).

In addition, any above tech information is supplied in good faith. No responsibility implied or otherwise can be accepted for the way others use or interpret provided data.

Your experience(s), opinion(s) and mileage may vary.

DIAGNOSED CDO - (OCD In Correct Alphabetical Order)
KULTULZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2021, 02:10 PM   #3
1930artdeco

Default Re: PS idler arm

Sorry, 57 country sedan, v8 with PS.

Mike
Old 05-28-2021, 06:24 PM   #4
KULTULZ

Post Re: PS idler arm

Below is an ILL of OEM install (complete service kit). Those washers look like they are from a 3C590 kit (steering cyl bushing kit).

Did you just buy the bushings or a complete service kit?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IDLER ARM - 57A PS _1.jpg (8.5 KB, 14 views)

- DISCLAIMER -

The above posted information is in my opinion only (IMO) and may contain copy and paste material(s).

In addition, any above tech information is supplied in good faith. No responsibility implied or otherwise can be accepted for the way others use or interpret provided data.

Old 05-28-2021, 09:02 PM   #5
mercman from oz

Idler Arm for 1957 Ford Country Sedan needing Bushes.
mercman from oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2021, 03:19 AM   #6
KULTULZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by KULTULZ View Post

Below is an ILL of OEM install (complete service kit). Those washers look like they are from a 3C590 kit (steering cyl bushing kit).
Also, here is an ENG ILL showing the parts explosion -
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IDLER ARM - 57A PS _2.jpg (20.1 KB, 25 views)

- DISCLAIMER -

Old 05-29-2021, 05:34 AM   #7
1930artdeco

I just bought the bushings. I will look at the kit and see if I can get the washers as well.

Thanks,

Mike
Old 05-29-2021, 09:11 AM   #8
KULTULZ

What you have may not be OEM but aftermarket.

There were so many vendors (and quality) over the years it would be hard to ID.

Let us know what you find.

- DISCLAIMER -

Old 05-29-2021, 02:55 PM   #9
1930artdeco

I think it is original do to the rust/ dirt on it. But then again it could have been replaced 50 years ago at some point. Either way I will put it back together with the washers.

Mike
Old 05-29-2021, 05:25 PM   #10
1930artdeco

Ok, so I think I have this thing mocked up correctly-I got lucky in that the bushings just dropped right onto it. I also noticed that the bushings were slightly off center with the inner sleeve, will that be a problem?

Mike
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 53E03B8B-18A7-4C61-95F6-36F9B4991144.jpeg (86.4 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpeg 34878E2C-54E1-4234-A07A-A3F62C193F3E.jpeg (110.5 KB, 146 views)
Old 05-29-2021, 08:57 PM   #11
KULTULZ

There is something about the arm itself and the take-off bushings that doesn't seem quite right.

Below are other ILL's showing ASSY and DETAIL. The washers have to be flat as to not interfere with inner/outer bushing sleeve movement.

If you go ahead, make sure the concave washer does not interfere with the bushing(s) (turn upside down) and don't fully torque to spec until steering wheel is centered and toe can be set correctly.

- DISCLAIMER -

Old 05-29-2021, 11:02 PM   #12
Daves55Sedan

The 1956 model year was the first time they switched to the encased rubber bushings on the idler arms.
The '54/55 cars with power steering had a very complex system incorporating a set of standoff/inserts at top and bottom of the steering arm or idler arm bracket. There was an accompanying large round roller bearing and flat-washers that sat on the standoff at each end. There was no need for a press. The standoffs were machined to fit snugly in the bore of the steering arm and idler arm bracket. Each roller bearing had a grease fitting. The problem with this arrangement was that no one ever greased the roller bearings, they dried out and started to cause hard steering. However, the design (if it had been properly maintained) was superior to the later encased rubber bushings.
Once upon a time, Timken made replacement roller bearings, but the pattern was dropped when they started stamping in china, and no other bearing companies produce replacements for that pattern today.
I had a complete original '57 PS setup which only had the metal encased rubber bushings with large flat-washer and castle-nut on the end. Flat-washers were only about 1/16" thick.
Daves55Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2021, 11:09 PM   #13
Daves55Sedan

A few years ago, you could buy the whole kit including idler arm, bushings, washers and castle-nuts. Now, some vendors are only selling the bushings.
If you had an earlier idler arm replacement from a kit, you may notice that the shaft portion is way smaller than the original, but they cast-in a couple of "gussets" at the base of the shaft to keep the shaft centered. Those gussets can wear-down and cause too much vertical slop in the idler arm movement. So if you can only get bushings now, it may not help if you had one of those aftermarket idler arms.
Old 05-30-2021, 05:54 AM   #14
KULTULZ

Thumbs up Re: PS idler arm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daves55Sedan View Post
A few years ago, you could buy the whole kit including idler arm, bushings, washers and castle-nuts. Now, some vendors are only selling the bushings.

If you had an earlier idler arm replacement from a kit, you may notice that the shaft portion is way smaller than the original, but they cast-in a couple of "gussets" at the base of the shaft to keep the shaft centered. Those gussets can wear-down and cause too much vertical slop in the idler arm movement. So if you can only get bushings now, it may not help if you had one of those aftermarket idler arms.
Yeah, I think that is what is going on here, aftermarket vendor.

If you decide on a correct arm, you may find one on EvilBay - B4A 3352-B (PS) FORD NOS.

- DISCLAIMER -

Old 05-30-2021, 08:07 AM   #15
KULTULZ

This keeps bothering me.

- DISCLAIMER -

Old 05-30-2021, 06:12 PM   #16
Daves55Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by KULTULZ View Post
This keeps bothering me.
That second photo is a roller bearing kit for '54/55 (and would fit the '56 idler arm), but I don't think the old style was available at the factory anymore.
The original print of the '56 Ford Car shop manual shows metal encased rubber bushings for the PS idler arm. (that could mean that the early '56 cars might have had some of the '55 idler arm kits, but that the rubber bushings shown in the shop manual were the factory authorized replacement).
What bothers me is that his '57 idler arm has large recessed washers on the shaft ends that have no value at all with the use of rubber bushings. I think that idler arm came off a different car. Mercury or Edsel maybe?
Old 05-30-2021, 06:55 PM   #17
1930artdeco

Here is the bracket and large bushing that I knocked out. No bearings in it-just lots of rubber. I do have a relatively early early car-I think. It is numbered 156915 from Norfolk. From what I have read you drop the ‘1’ so that would mean it is #56915.

Mike
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 62CD2006-5521-4785-9B1F-ADD6103834F8.jpeg (100.2 KB, 36 views)
Old 05-31-2021, 05:02 AM   #18
KULTULZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1930artdeco View Post

Here is the bracket and large bushing that I knocked out. No bearings in it-just lots of rubber.
I have no idea what that is that you have taken off. If it was my car, I would look for a correct NOS OEM part. The idler arm was basically the same from 1954 to 1960. The PN is B4A 3352-B. There is no way to maintain correct toe with whatever that is.

Quote:
I do have a relatively early early car-I think. It is numbered 156915 from Norfolk. From what I have read you drop the ‘1’ so that would mean it is #56915.

Mike
Quote:
Consecutive Unit Numbers begin at 100001 for Ford cars, 400001 for Lincoln cars, 500001 for Mercury cars, and 700001 for Edsel cars at each assembly plant (where those cars were produced). This number represents the scheduled sequence order. When a car was ordered, it was immediately assigned a VIN with a Consecutive Unit Number. It was then assigned a scheduled production date based on availability of trim, parts, other components, and taking into account downtime and production workloads at the assembly plant.

A scheduled production date was very often out of sequence with the Consecutive Unit Number. And more often than not, the actual production date (the day the car rolled off the line) was earlier or later than what was originally planned.

Therefore, a Thunderbird with a Consecutive Unit Number of 105678 may have actually been produced and ready for shipping before a Thunderbird with a Consecutive Unit Number of 105432. The Consecutive Unit Number should be considered to be a unique identification that shows when the order was received and when it was planned for production.
SOURCE - https://forums.aaca.org/topic/120694...-plate-decode/

- DISCLAIMER -

Old 05-31-2021, 01:29 PM   #19
1930artdeco

Thanks K,

This car is so banged up anything is possible. IT may have been rebuilt/replaced decades ago. But will start looking.

Mike
Old 05-31-2021, 06:16 PM   #20
KULTULZ

Thumbs up Re: PS idler arm

Quote:

Thanks K,

This car is so banged up anything is possible. IT may have been rebuilt/replaced decades ago. But will start looking.

Mike
After seeing your avatar photo, I was under the assumption it was a cherry piece. The parts are out there if you know where to look. I wouldn't trust anything new as to quality. Once you have the kit you can use those bushings for rebuild in the future.

- DISCLAIMER -

Old 05-31-2021, 09:57 PM   #21
Daves55Sedan

I see that you have the idle-arm bracket and the other half of the bushing that came out of it laying on the garage floor (picture upside down).
Can't say as I have ever seen an assembly like that. I think it would be a big help if you had a '57 Ford car shop manual to see what the factory showed in their illustrations and try to order those parts if available.
I just looked at the latest Mac's catalog and they are not offering the complete kit for '57 Ford with PS. They do offer the metal encased bushings (MA-3358-A & MA-3356-B), but I am sure those won't work with the idler arm you have.
Old 06-01-2021, 01:43 AM   #22
1930artdeco

K=thanks for the info on the build date, that may explain the June 14 1957 build date instead of earlier in the model year.

Dave, I was looking at my manual and their pics don't show anything really. just bad pics of the system. I did see some rubber bushings like mine in a catalogue but they are for a non-power steering bracket. So it is possible that someone rebuilt it with non PS bushings at some point in time. Those are the bushings that I bought for this application as they are for the PS idler arm according to Concourse.

Mike
Old 06-01-2021, 03:06 AM   #23
KULTULZ

If you type in ' B4A 3352-A ' in your SEARCH ENGINE, you may find a NOS on EvilBay.

There is an aftermarket still offered - https://www.jamcosuspension.com/prod...ering-ia5460ps

It says USA but I have no idea of quality.

- DISCLAIMER -

Old 06-09-2021, 02:19 PM   #24
cokefirst

Rare parts has an idler arm repair kit with bearings for the 1957 Fairlane with power steering.
cokefirst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2021, 06:32 PM   #25
1930artdeco

Update. I got the PS components rebuilt and installed. Only to find out there are two issues. Neither of which were really my fault. First I apparently had the bushing installed backwards with the long one in the center link and the short in the bracket. They should be reversed-according to a spare 57 PS set up. I also noticed the idler arm is different from the spare to mine. So my thinking is that they had to replace the idler bushings at one point and couldn’t get a PS set and used a manual set up.

Mike
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 2CF24458-916A-410B-8857-35D5551908B7.jpeg (103.2 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpeg 377022B4-6CCB-4100-903B-C8689ED43AF4.jpeg (92.2 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpeg DD1AFCD8-A003-402E-913C-BB0AD961BE78.jpeg (122.6 KB, 16 views)
Old 10-01-2021, 03:44 AM   #26
KULTULZ

Unhappy Re: PS idler arm

You are going to have to source a correct idler arm for the car. What you are working with is incorrect.

You are beating yourself to death for no good reason,
Old 10-01-2021, 08:10 PM   #27
1930artdeco

One of the two is correct, I just need to figure out which one.
Old 10-02-2021, 07:16 AM   #28
KULTULZ

Quote:

One of the two is correct, I just need to figure out which one.
The take-off shown below is not correct. It must be an outside vendor service replacement. You would need the original busing set to make it operable -
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg IDLER ARM - TAKE-OFF - 57 FORD PS.jpeg (156.2 KB, 5 views)

- DISCLAIMER -

Old 10-02-2021, 04:37 PM   #29
1930artdeco

I have installed, I just have them in backwards. So I will send it back to the shop to get them reversed and then reinstall.

Mike
Old 10-08-2021, 04:52 PM   #30
1930artdeco

Ok, all of the PS components are temp installed now and appear to work as advertised. Now how do I tell which side which long tie rod goes to?

Mike
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 4D0CF730-4523-45A4-97F4-1E7102E6BDF8.jpeg (111.4 KB, 7 views)
Old 10-08-2021, 05:57 PM   #31
dmsfrr

The info and illustrations on page 4-4 of the '57 shop manual may be helpful.

Rotate the steering box or steering wheel back & forth a few times until you can determine when the movement of the steering box & pitman arm is centered, the middle spoke of the steering wheel should be pointing straight down.
Point the tires & wheels straight ahead and the tie-rod placement may become evident.

Last edited by dmsfrr; 10-08-2021 at 08:08 PM.
dmsfrr is offline   Reply With Quote