Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-08-2020, 03:17 PM   #1
Don

Default Pressure plate finger adj

Have done a lot of searches for this info,lot of model A infobut cant find the measurements for a V8,,Haveread a lot about don’t mess with the adj,but if there are not equal,they need adj!!!I believe it’s 11/16 from top of pp frame to fingers with the pp bolted to a FW with disc in place,,,read another place that said 1 1/4 for a 9 inch ,1 3/16 for a 10 inch pp,,mm says look at chart but where’s the chart??
Old 07-08-2020, 03:26 PM   #2
tubman

Default Re: Pressure plate finger adj

I don't think the precise measurement is as important as having them all the same.

Here is an excercise that I went through : https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showt...ghlight=clutch
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 04:22 PM   #3
Kube

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubman View Post
I don't think the precise measurement is as important as having them all the same.

Here is an excercise that I went through : https://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showt...ghlight=clutch
I learned the hard way about this. After two remanufactured plates from NAPA were installed (yep TWO), I took the plate in to my shop and measured the fingers. None were within specification and as such I could never get the pedal adjustment even close to acceptable.
There IS a specification for this but it requires the plate to be bolted down. Instead of bolting it upon a disc, I used blocks at the specified thickness.
I'll try to find the spec if so desired.
Now? I buy only NEW from Ft. Wayne.

If the plate is brand new - not a remanufactured plate, you will probably be okay. probably.
Old 07-08-2020, 04:55 PM   #4
35fordtn

Well My experiences are real.. And I ran into this twice in the last year. One instance was just two weeks ago. I had a 36 Ford in the shop with a Fort Wayne Clutch that was WAY off. They tack welded the adjusters so I replaced with a new plate and rechecked. The measurement on the 09A 9" plate if I remember right is 1-7/8" to the flywheel face installed which can be a bear to measure.. Usually these are not out of adjustment too bad. Don't hold me to this measurement, but we have been using 11/16" from the top of the housing to the top of the fingers on the 35-48 plates

Now the 28-34 pressure plates, I learned last year it is ESSENTIAL TO CHECK IT on these plates!!
I had a 32 Ford coupe in the shop and no amount of clutch pedal adjustment would give a good pedal. Removed the engine, and the original Ford plate was way off on adjustment. Installed a NEW one and it too was all over the map. For these plates which have 8 fingers, I made a tool which is a flat piece of metal and a 5/8" square piece welded to it. I adjust each finger with the clutch installed to where the finger just touches the tool. This sets the finger 5/8" from the top of the plate housing when installed.

Last edited by 35fordtn; 07-08-2020 at 05:11 PM.
35fordtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 06:00 PM   #5
G.M.

I have a big heavy tool about 2 feet in diameter
and 1 foot high and must weigh 200 lbs. Anyone
interested. Must be picked up in Punta Gorda,Fl
G.M.
Old 07-08-2020, 06:44 PM   #6
Talkwrench

"Fort Wayne Clutch that was WAY off" you wouldn't be the only one Mike.
Old 07-08-2020, 06:59 PM   #7
35fordtn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talkwrench View Post
"Fort Wayne Clutch that was WAY off" you wouldn't be the only one Mike.
I have had a total of 3 issues of FT Wayne Clutches over the few years I have been into this hobby out of maybe 25 of their units.. I personally do not use them anymore, but the issues I have had only proves they are human, and all businesses big or small have issues from time to time. I respect the fact that they are a family owned US business. It is a big job to replace a clutch in a Early Ford so I use what i am most comfortable with. To their credit one car I worked on that had a Ft Wayne failure was a 315hp Ardun blown flathead that had no business running a 9" clutch. And also to their credit I never called and complained, or asked for a exchange/refund in any of the 3 instances.
35fordtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 01:47 AM   #8
flatheadmurre

To adjust them correctly you bolt them to a flat surface with a steel shim the thickness of you clutchdisc.
Then measure from the bottom surface and up to fingers.
The older ones with adjustment bolts are a walk in the park compared to the new ones you have to shim under the attachment bolts...
flatheadmurre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 08:33 AM   #9
Jack Shaft
BANNED

On the model a you have to dial in the flywheel housing too..measure all your fingers and average it out,resetting all to a prescribed length is a pain.This only reduces the chances of clutch chatter,it insures equal application at all points of the pressure plate face.I install a new disc every time I have it open.
Jack Shaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 10:03 AM   #10
Kube

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35fordtn View Post
I have had a total of 3 issues of FT Wayne Clutches over the few years I have been into this hobby out of maybe 25 of their units.. I personally do not use them anymore, but the issues I have had only proves they are human, and all businesses big or small have issues from time to time. I respect the fact that they are a family owned US business. It is a big job to replace a clutch in a Early Ford so I use what i am most comfortable with. To their credit one car I worked on that had a Ft Wayne failure was a 315hp Ardun blown flathead that had no business running a 9" clutch. And also to their credit I never called and complained, or asked for a exchange/refund in any of the 3 instances.
Yikes Mike (Michael) good to know. I've never had an issue with them. Lucky perhaps?
Old 07-09-2020, 10:11 AM   #11
Kube

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatheadmurre View Post
To adjust them correctly you bolt them to a flat surface with a steel shim the thickness of you clutchdisc.
Then measure from the bottom surface and up to fingers.
The older ones with adjustment bolts are a walk in the park compared to the new ones you have to shim under the attachment bolts...
That's precisely what I had noted in my previous post (#3).
I had actually built a small fixture so as to make it easy to make these measurements.
The plate MUST be pulled down atop a new disc or (my preference) a .340" ground steel plate.
The specification to each "finger is .750". This measurement is properly taken (per Ford) from the top of the plate housing down to the top of the finger.
I no longer recall what the tolerance was (+/-) but do clearly recall the .750.
If this was not important, Ford would not have specified it.
Old 07-09-2020, 10:35 AM   #12
Jack Shaft
BANNED

.750 is the standard,but the idea is equal application.
Old 07-09-2020, 10:40 AM   #13
TomO

Chart for pressure plate:
Clutch diameter Gauge Thickness Lever Height
9" clutch .340" 11/16" from top of plate
10" clutch .295" 15/16" from top of plate
11" clutch .365" 7/8" from top of plate

To measure place a straight edge across the top of the pressure plate and measure from the bottom of the straight edge to the top of the finger. The pressure plate should be installed on a flywheel with the spacer taking the place of the disc. A new or used disc should not be used instead of the spacer because it may not be uniform in thickness.
Old 07-09-2020, 11:54 AM   #14
Don

All good information here,its not rocket science,,,I don’t really know why everyone is so afraid to check and make corrections if needed,
Will lock tight work here or should they be staked??
Old 07-09-2020, 12:19 PM   #15
Kube

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Shaft View Post
.750 is the standard,but the idea is equal application.
If you mean all three being .750", then yes, you are correct.
Old 07-09-2020, 12:20 PM   #16
V8guy

I am going to be purchasing a clutch assy for the 99T engine for my 35 Ford the ones I see in V8 parts supplier catalogs appear to have non adjustable levers. Has anyone had used one of these, any problems-?
V8guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 12:26 PM   #17
Kube

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomO View Post
Chart for pressure plate:
Clutch diameter Gauge Thickness Lever Height
9" clutch .340" 11/16" from top of plate
10" clutch .295" 15/16" from top of plate
11" clutch .365" 7/8" from top of plate

To measure place a straight edge across the top of the pressure plate and measure from the bottom of the straight edge to the top of the finger. The pressure plate should be installed on a flywheel with the spacer taking the place of the disc. A new or used disc should not be used instead of the spacer because it may not be uniform in thickness.
Thanks for the additional information Tom. I only had the specs for the 9".
Old 07-09-2020, 12:46 PM   #18
Lawson Cox

I had a clutch chatter. Engine removed for another reason. While the engine was out I mentioned the clutch chatter to my LONG TIME flathead mechanic. He measured with a folding ruler and found one of the fingers was not touching the pressure plate. He took a box end wrench and put it over the finger and another wrench was added for more leverage and bent the finger to where it was touching like the others. Voila. Problem solved. (Some of you probably knew my mechanic well. Harold "Putt" Smith from Atlanta, GA. RIP "Putt".) No mic, no shims, just years of experience.

It is better to be seen, than viewed.

"We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm".
Lawson Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 01:37 PM   #19
Jack Shaft
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kube View Post
If you mean all three being .750", then yes, you are correct.
When you clutch disc wears that dimension changes.So no my point is all fingers need to be the same height,so the pressure plate springs are compressed evenly by the throw out bearing.
Old 07-09-2020, 02:03 PM   #20
Hal Beatty

I have an 11" pressure plate from a well-regarded vendor with one finger higher than the other two; and no adjustment on the fingers... and it chatters. I'll probably have to send it back but have already had it balanced. Oh well... the quality of parts now-a-days.
Hal Beatty is offline   Reply With Quote