Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-28-2020, 07:12 PM   #1
Kingo

Default Getting TS ready for paint.

I am wanting to do this process once. I have a 30 Town Sedan I am getting ready for paint. Currently, it is on original chassis, doors and fuel tank removed. I have a restored and straight chassis sitting next to body ready to move body over on it. My problem is I am not sure which way to go. I have already replaced the firewall and was thinking I’d put the fuel tank in then get hinge side of door gap aligned on old frame and then haul to painter. Once painted move body to restored frame and align doors. Or should I go ahead and move body to new frame and then set door gaps and align doors and send to painter. After body is painted I’ll still have to raise body and instal running boards and sill plates. For those of you that have been here what are your thoughts
Thanks
King
Kingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 10:02 PM   #2
CWPASADENA

Default Re: Getting TS ready for paint.

I would fit the doors with the frame that is going to be used on the finished car. This way, you will have no surprises. You should as part of the process fit the hood before you paint everything. If the frame is a little sway backed, you will have a problem getting the hood gap right where the side panels meet the cowl. Assemble the whole car and get everything to fit and then do the finish paint.

That is my suggestion.

Chris W.

Last edited by CWPASADENA; 04-28-2020 at 10:03 PM. Reason: TYPO
CWPASADENA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 08:47 AM   #3
rotorwrench

Installing and removing stuff unnecessarily can cause scratches and head aches. I would fit everything before painting.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 07:56 AM   #4
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingo View Post
I am wanting to do this process once. I have a 30 Town Sedan I am getting ready for paint. Currently, it is on original chassis, doors and fuel tank removed. I have a restored and straight chassis sitting next to body ready to move body over on it. My problem is I am not sure which way to go. I have already replaced the firewall and was thinking I’d put the fuel tank in then get hinge side of door gap aligned on old frame and then haul to painter. Once painted move body to restored frame and align doors. Or should I go ahead and move body to new frame and then set door gaps and align doors and send to painter. After body is painted I’ll still have to raise body and instal running boards and sill plates. For those of you that have been here what are your thoughts
Thanks
King

King, the door sill plates are installed after painting however the body can be installed prior to installing the body onto the chassis. The running boards attach to the lower portion of the body aprons which must be installed prior to the body being installed, ...so the running boards can be installed with the body already bolted down.

Yes, the doors should be fitted and installed prior to any paintwork. It is optional whether you paint with the doors on or off.

If you are nervous about installing the body after painting, install your aprons and anti-squeak (welting) in the applicable places and then use a thin layer of painter's plastic (-available at big box stores) and tape it firmly to the chassis. Then install the body over the plastic and bolt it down. This will protect the chassis and aprons from overspray. Once the paintwork & buffing is complete, tear the plastic out from under the body.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3001.jpg (48.6 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1332.jpg (72.4 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1334.jpg (86.0 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2079.jpg (68.6 KB, 31 views)

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote