Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 06-19-2021, 08:42 PM   #61
McMimmcs

Default Re: Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by jg61hawk View Post
I threw a link on the Studebaker Forum too. Let's blow by the goal........
Great idea, good thinking on your part! Wayne
McMimmcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2021, 11:18 PM   #62
henry's 31

This is terrible. While they are alive, all of their lifes work went up in flames, My thoughts are with Tom and family.
Old 06-20-2021, 05:41 AM   #63
dpson

Perhaps there is something positive that can come out of this; which is a lesson to all of us of the value and need for insurance on our automobiles, dwellings and possessions.
dpson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 07:32 AM   #64
old31

Crankster, just delete your post, move on and we will forget what was said. I understand what you were trying to say but just delete it.
old31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 12:13 PM   #65
dean from bozeman

Tom, this is the first I heard of the fire and it hit me like a gut punch. I have no advice or empty words of encouragement. Only know that you are loved and respected.
Dean
dean from bozeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 12:22 PM   #66
msmaron

Send a message via AIM to msmaron

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan in southeast va. View Post
Can anyone post a mailing address for Tom? Some people don't do Facebook, Twitter, Instagram but would still like to send well wishes or money.
There is no address anymore..You can send directly to me, I will deposit and add to the go fund me page. direct msg me for the address
National Facebook Admin.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/MARC.group/

A7191-Sport Coupe
29 Roadster
29-Town Sedan
29-Original Special Coupe
msmaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 12:23 PM   #67
SkimmerBob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crankster View Post
If we are asking people to open up their checkbooks you damn well better judge whether this is actually a good idea or not.

For the sake of argument what if you were to find out the reason Tom doesn't have insurance is because he self insured. Turns out, he owns numerous properties, a Gulfstream, and has a net worth of 20 million dollars. His annual interest income stream alone is greater than your net worth. How charitable are you feeling now?

Yeah yeah, I know that probably isn't the case here, but, I don't know that. Be careful out there folks. Just sayin'.
LOL
Crankster your post is the exact reason I don`t frequent this site anymore, Too many who attack rather than scroll by. I`m so glad I found a friendly site for my model A questions. When I would come to this site with a question I would always look for Toms posts. I feel he unknowingly has helped me out many times, So helping him when he needs it is a no brainer. I know I`m a hypocrite for not just scrolling by. Sorry for that.
SkimmerBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 02:02 PM   #68
dean from bozeman

Skimmer Bob, your thoughts are right on. '... helping him when he needs it is a no brainer.'

There are too many people who find it too easy to complain. Though the Internet format is a useful one to communicate and share ideas, it also is a platform for those who attack, complain and drag others down. Many cowards find bravery when it is done in an anonymous way.

I donated a bit to Tom not carrying about whether he had insurance or not or by how much money he has in the bank. None of that matters. He is a man who has freely shared his skills and ideas and fate has hit him hard. When a friend is hurt you don't think about anything else but to help him up.

https://gofund.me/143204dd

Note: I correctred the link. This is the correct one and it works.

Last edited by dean from bozeman; 06-20-2021 at 02:29 PM.
Old 06-20-2021, 02:08 PM   #69
Tod

Good grief, this is bad news. I wish Tom all the best at this time and share the sentiments of everyone regarding this disaster.

Tod
Tod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2021, 02:27 PM   #70
Ruth

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean from bozeman View Post
Dean, your link does not seem to work.
Old 06-20-2021, 02:34 PM   #71
dean from bozeman

Ruth, I corrected it and it now works. Thanks for pointing that out.

I got the incorrect one from the "Go Fund me page for Tom Wesenberg" thread. When I tried it from that thread, even though I saw that it was different, it worked. I may have copied it incorrectly. The corrected one below works:

Old 06-20-2021, 03:50 PM   #72
Franchise_24

Tom is a very nice guy, so sorry this happened to him. Glad he is safe though, his life can't be replaced...
Old 06-21-2021, 09:44 AM   #73
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by McMimmcs View Post
I personally would like to hear from Brent before I /we do anything. Brent is a very wise and intelligent man that I am sure knew Tom well.
Wayne

I learned about this last week from Mark when he contacted me privately while I was in Indiana and away from my computer. Like Dean said, it definitely made me feel like throwing up from a blow to the stomach.

I thought about this quite a bit while driving home. My take on this is maybe different than some newer guys simply because like a few others, we have known Tom for many years and know his heart and character. Tom never appeared to me to be someone that selfishly coveted 'things' or took advantage of anyone to gain something. He collected things because he likely had a connection in some way to that item. Tom was always one that gave away more than he kept, -especially if that person was in a bind or had a need. One of the most valued commodities that Tom had IMO was 'Problem Solving', ...and then 'Friends' being a close second to the first. Tom freely shared his wisdom to all those who wanted it, -and he always showed patience to those who didn't understand. I am most thankful that Tom did not lose his ability to work with his hands nor did he lose his friends in this fire!

So I guess my immediate thoughts are that to Tom, money was probably not as valuable to him as was his tools. I definitely agree that for the short-term he needs cash money to buy necessities to sustain himself, and so we all need to give something (-me included), ...but inclusive of that I also am going to suggest we (-me included) look around our shops/garages/sheds for spare tools and equipment that we can gift to him. I am sure someone has an old metal lathe they are no longer using, -or maybe a drill press, or a milling machine, maybe an air compressor, a welder, a jack, or some 'tool thing' that is sitting in the corner gathering dust that could be gifted to him. Even if that 'gift' doesn't work any longer, knowing Tom how we know Tom, if he has some tools, he can likely make it work again. And, if so these are all items that he can use to make a way again for himself. Even later on after he is on his feet again, think about sending him a spare starter, generator, -or some Model-A part that he can refurbish for you, -or maybe something he can restore and sell to someone else would likely be a great boost to his recovery. Again, Tom has been a huge asset to this forum, and to the hobby itself, ...and any thing we/you can do, -no matter how insignificant it may seem to you would likely significantly improve his situation in his future!!

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2021, 12:25 PM   #74
msmaron

Send a message via AIM to msmaron

I just spoke with Tom this AM....He wanted me to thank everyone who donated to the fund.... He is trying to search through debris now and salvage what he can and is very distraught..>lets keep supporting him, he is going to need it...Time to pay it forward for Tom Wesenberg!!
National Facebook Admin.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/MARC.group/

A7191-Sport Coupe
29 Roadster
29-Town Sedan
29-Original Special Coupe
msmaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2021, 01:37 PM   #75
McMimmcs

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmaron View Post
I just spoke with Tom this AM....He wanted me to thank everyone who donated to the fund.... He is trying to search through debris now and salvage what he can and is very distraught..>lets keep supporting him, he is going to need it...Time to pay it forward for Tom Wesenberg!!
You’ve done an outstanding job Mark. You are to be commended! Wayne
Old 06-21-2021, 10:07 PM   #76
dean from bozeman

Brent, though your heart is in the right place, donating items is something that should only proceed when Tom is back on his feet and he decides what he wants to do. It may be that he wants to go in a different direction with his life. Also, some tool donations might not be the type of items that he would choose for himself. We all have a different definition of a workshop.

Now there may be a time when Tom is open to that and he could work out the details but right now I would suggest that we all consider throwing in a few bucks if we can. Let's help him get back on his feet first.

Here's the Go Fund Me page.
Old 06-23-2021, 05:55 AM   #77
McMimmcs

Bttt,please! Wayne
Old 06-23-2021, 10:40 PM   #78
Bud on the Vineyard

I'm an 11 year member of Ford Barn and have been in the hobby for nearly 50 years. I enjoy reading the many requests for advice and benefiting from the wealth of knowledge in the responses. Since I rarely post, I have not directly conversed with many of you, including Tom, but I know he is a respected and valued member of the Model A community. My heart goes out to him and his wife. Thanks to those of you who have set up the relief fund for Tom. I have just contributed to the effort and will do so again. Hope that the response will far surpass the goal. It will take that and much more to get him back on his feet. Encouraging all to give until it hurts.
Bud on the Vineyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 07:41 AM   #79
Chris in WNC

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean from bozeman View Post
Ruth, I corrected it and it now works. Thanks for pointing that out.

I got the incorrect one from the "Go Fund me page for Tom Wesenberg" thread. When I tried it from that thread, even though I saw that it was different, it worked. I may have copied it incorrectly. The corrected one below works:

not working here.
am I doing something wrong?
when I click on the "payment method" button the little line of dots just keeps repeating and repeating- does not take me to the next step.
20 minutes so far.....
Old 06-24-2021, 08:12 AM   #80
deuce5wndw

Let's keep it going!!
deuce5wndw is offline   Reply With Quote