Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-04-2020, 06:38 PM   #1
Club Coupe

Default Dtill a hole in the floor?

I am considering installing an OD tranny in my 1950 Ford. I have been offered one for $700which has been pro rebuilt. After doing some reading and Youtubing it looks like (among several other things) I would have to drill a hole in the floor under the accelerator pedal for a kickdown switch. Is that right?
Club Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 06:41 PM   #2
40cpe

Default Re: Dtill a hole in the floor?

There should already be a knock-out for the kick down switch. Just hit it with a punch.
40cpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 06:51 PM   #3
Club Coupe

Default Re: Drill a hole in the floor?

Thanks, 40cpe. At least I will know the hole's in the right place.
Club Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 07:29 PM   #4
Charlie ny
BANNED

CC,
The kick down switch can also be mounted near the carb linkage. Easier to set up.

Charlie
Charlie ny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 08:31 PM   #5
tubman

"Club Coupe" - I am doing the same thing; installing an OD transmission in my '51 club coupe. Just to make sure, do you have everything you need? Specifically, do you have the relay that mounts on the firewall? I know there are ways to "Jerry-Rig" an overdrive setup on these cars, but it kinda defeats their original purpose and leaves the setup vulnerable to damage. I made sure I had all of the components I needed before I started on installation. The lockout cable, kickdown switch, and wiring harness are all available from the after market. I had to obtain the lockout cable from a Studebaker parts supplier because none of the Ford guys had them. (It is the same as a Ford except it has a chrome handle.) Although Charlie's suggestion of the kickdown switch is doable, I believe it's always better to do things the way the factory did it on these cars. Also, the wiring harness probably won't work with the kickdown switch mounted there. Make sure the transmission came with a functional solenoid and governor.

Once you have everything and it is installed, you will find a properly working overdrive to be a valuable installation in your car. My first '51 had one, and though my current car is a much nicer one, I sure missed the overdrive.
tubman is online now   Reply With Quote