Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-27-2019, 12:53 PM   #1
37 Cab

Default Dual master cylinder update

I finally got around to addressing the brakes on my Cabriolet. It had the mustang master cylinder on it when I got it and the pedal has always been low. The stock ford master cylinder is a 1 1/16 bore where the mustang is 7/8. Since I already have the 39 pedals it seemed just a matter of finding a master cylinder with 1 1/16 bore and the outlets on the outboard side when installed since that is where they are already. A 1975 AMC Gremlin master cylinder fit the bill. It is a little taller so fitment is close but it fit. Also the reservoirs are reversed with the large reservoir on the front side where the mustang is on the rear. The fittings are bigger so a trip to the auto parts store for some purpose made master cylinder adapter fittings took care of that. There was no provision for a brake switch so I took it apart and drilled/tapped the end for the switch. Blead the system and now my brakes are great with plenty of pedal and 1 inch of free play at the top. Then for giggles I loosened a brake line and checked to see I still had brakes on the other axle.. perfect!... Hope this helps.