Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-22-2017, 04:00 PM   #21
1955cj5

Default Re: New guy with fuel line question

Nice car!

Here is a picture of my truck, where you might find one of the dates that Ray mentioned.

This is in the area above where the steering column enters the engine compartment, on the engine side of the firewall.

The date on mine is stamped upside down, so it is above the seam....

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2015_0814modelajeep1047.jpg (80.1 KB, 57 views)
Old 12-22-2017, 05:43 PM   #22
pgerhardt

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmag View Post
I may be wrong on the official designation. I actually inherited the car from my great uncle who passed away. The vehicle has been in my family since the 60's and my Dad was the most recent owner. It was explained to me that it was a deluxe because it has the two, side mounted spare tires and the optional rear trunk. I can include a photo if it helps. If I'm wrong I certainly want to know. I am confident, however, that it is a 1929.

Thanks again.
Welcome fellow 29 tudor owner. While not a deluxe, duel side mounts are not common, and a cool feature added by the dealer, or sometime later. Enjoy your tudor, and feel free to ask any questions you have. We love them! And would love to see more pictures (one of my 29 is below).

As stated, there is no such thing as a "deluxe" 29 tudor. They were not offered until near the end of model A production and had cowl lights and a dome light. I am curious. Does your 29 still have its original electric wiper motor? For some reason most have lost theirs, and have been replaced by vacuum wipers. Trunks and trunk racks were an after market add on. IMHO the trunk rack on the 29 tudor should be the black folding type, not the chrome and "wood" ones found on roadsters. (picture 2)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2017-12-22 at 5.42.08 PM.jpg (80.6 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2017-12-22 at 5.54.06 PM.jpg (72.6 KB, 39 views)

Last edited by pgerhardt; 12-22-2017 at 05:57 PM.
pgerhardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 07:09 PM   #23
jpmag

Quote:
Originally Posted by 700rpm View Post
It is a 1929 Model A Tudor. You might have the assembly date stamped on the firewall, driver's side, above the seam. You can also sometimes determine the year of your engine from the number stamped on the driver's side of the block. Also, there is sometime an assembly plant code stamped on the front of the middle cross member. This kind of information is just fun to have about your car.
Thank you! Feel a bit silly for not knowing this sooner, but I'm glad to have the info now.

Also, pgerhardt, that clears up my confusion about the side spares. I think that's the main reason my Dad associated it with the Deluxe version. Also, yes, it does still have the original electric wiper. However, I don't believe it still works. It might be fixable, but I haven't looked that closely at it. Your '29 looks great, btw. Love the green.

I love all of the information. The historical aspect is just as important and interesting to me as the car itself.

I'll let you all know how the fuel-line turns out. Again, thank you to everyone who replied. All very good info and very helpful.

Last edited by jpmag; 12-22-2017 at 07:25 PM.
jpmag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 09:57 PM   #24
pgerhardt

The electric wiper is worth saving. You most likely would be the only one at a show that still had it. You may also have an uncommon intake manifold without any vacuum port. (see picture). If the wiper is not working it is most probably a bad ground. (Which in the model A is your power source.)

When you get around to messing with it let me know and I'll let you know what worked for me, and take close up pictures of mine.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2017-12-22 at 9.50.32 PM.jpg (61.6 KB, 56 views)

Last edited by pgerhardt; 12-22-2017 at 10:06 PM.
pgerhardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 12:08 AM   #25
700rpm

My 1929 Tudor is stamped July 17, 1929. I bought the car in 1961, and am the second owner. It was and still is completely original. It has a vacuum wiper on it, which is correct. The changeover from electric to vacuum happened sometime very close to my build date (the Judging Standards provide the accurate period). The header holes where the wiper motor mounts are in different positions for electric than they are for vacuum. If you want to keep it original and save yourself a lot of aggravation, get the original electric wiper motor working and keep it. It will be well worth it. You are lucky to have it.

As you go through life, keep your eye on the donut, not the hole.

Last edited by 700rpm; 12-23-2017 at 01:59 AM.
700rpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 01:13 AM   #26
KenCoupe

In addition to the great information from the folks here on Fordbarn, I would recommend getting the Les Andrews Model A Ford mechanics handbook (the red book). It has a lot of step by step instructions for maintenance or repair of most systems (parts) on the Model A. I got my copy not long after I got my Model A, and it has been very valuable over time. It is available from the Model A parts vendors (Brattons, Snyders, etc.)
KenCoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2017, 11:53 PM   #27
Benson

Quote:
My 1929 Tudor is stamped July 17, 1929. I bought the car in 1961, and am the second owner. It was and still is completely original. It has a vacuum wiper on it, which is correct. The changeover from electric to vacuum happened sometime very close to my build date (the Judging Standards provide the accurate period). The header holes where the wiper motor mounts are in different positions for electric than they are for vacuum. If you want to keep it original and save yourself a lot of aggravation, get the original electric wiper motor working and keep it. It will be well worth it. You are lucky to have it.

My July 15th, 1929 Sport Coupe has had electric wiper since we got it in 1962.

I suppose the dates for replacing the electric wiper varies depending on the stock of remaining electric wipers at each assembly plant.
Benson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 07:35 PM   #28
jpmag

So the part came in, but I wanted to ask you guys if there should be any gasket material for the fuel line. There were no gaskets given with the fuel line that I ordered, so I wanted to check and make sure.

Thanks again!
Old 12-26-2017, 08:04 PM   #29
Eric Lewis

If the new gas line is correct there are no gaskets as the ends are both flared fittings.
Old 12-27-2017, 08:12 AM   #30
Brendan

make sure that it fits tight between the valve and the sentiment bole, before you tighten up the nuts

i can't spell my way out of a paper bag!
Brendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 09:04 AM   #31
Terry, NJ

Yes, but, It's worth the extra effort to have it in there and the advantage of knowing just how much rust etc is in the tank. I spent too much time on my back cleaning the valve. Which brings to mind the other problem. The Valve it'self. If it turns with a lot of resistance, then you have a rust problem and will need a filter.
Terry

Quote:
You have to drain the tank and remove the shutoff valve to do this.
Terry, NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 11:05 AM   #32
jpmag

Alright, just finished installing the part last night. The good news is, I believe the shutoff valve has been recently replaced. It has a good, crisp click when turned and when I removed the line, there was zero leakage from the valve.

The line itself was just a bit off (maybe a millimeter or two) from lining up perfectly. I played with it a bit and then it seemed to fit fine (perhaps a tad more snugly than the original). After tightening the line, though, I started up the car and it ran with no leaks! I haven't actually driven it yet, but I did run at various RPMs and all seemed secure.

Thanks again everyone. I appreciate all of the help. Now just need the rain to stop so I can give it a proper test drive.

Cheers.
Old 12-27-2017, 11:17 AM   #33
Scottio57

Great. now get out and drive it. (if your not up to your running boards in snow) I've been told A's do not like to set and be neglected.
Scottio57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 11:49 AM   #34
ryanheacox

Never realized that cars that still have an original electric wiper and non-vacuum port manifold were rare, cool to know.

I'll second that if the wiper isn't working it's a bad ground. Try swinging the windshield in and out a few times to clean up a bit of the hinge which is where the power has to get through. Mine only works when the windshield is closed tight which really isn't a problem.
ryanheacox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2017, 12:44 PM   #35
jpmag

Thanks for the tip on the ground concerning the wiper. That can be my next project . Also, as far as snow, one benefit to living in the South is that we don't have much of that!. Though rain is a bit of an issue, especially in Mobile. Been a bit of wet Christmas for us.
Old 12-28-2017, 10:08 AM   #36
burner31

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpmag View Post
Man, you guys are amazing. Thank you all for the helpful advice. I'm really glad I stumbled on this website. It seems like it is a very solid community.

I apologize if this has gotten off topic. I can certainly make a new thread if you like, but here are a couple of pictures of the car. Any help narrowing down the exact type of Model A I have would be greatly appreciated. You may not be able to see it well in the photos, but it does have a rear trunk, as well.

Thanks again!

jpmag:
Easy way for pics:
Click the "blue post reply" lower left bottom of page, when text box opens, in the top middle of the bar you will see a "paperclip" click that, a window will open "manage attachments" click "choose file" then pick your picture, after you picked up to seven pics click the top "upload" on the right hand side of the text box, wait for it to upload.
You must type something, anything into the text box message, scroll down to see "preview post" at bottom of your text box, you should see your message as it will appear when you post, if you like it click "submit reply" to post.
Easy-cheesy
burner31 is offline   Reply With Quote