Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-28-2017, 12:34 PM   #41
38bill

Default Re: Speedway Super 97 Carbs

For what its worth I purchased my 97's new in 2006 and they have been great. As I like shiny and they were not offered in chrome (they are now) I polished mine. It was very easy to do using a simple soft wheel and polish. All I did was to remove the linkage and buff. They have remained very nice looking with only an quick annual clean up while still on the engine.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg New Polished Carbs.JPG (96.2 KB, 40 views)
38bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 12:35 PM   #42
drolston

P.S.
Even with the power valve removed, no amount of pressure would clear the accelerator pump circuits. The tech at Speedway agreed that they had quality issues early on, and it might be a casting problem. They are sending me a new carb, and paying postage both ways. Pretty good customer service, considering that I ordered the carbs two and a half years ago.

They claim to have resolved their quality problems, but I have been burned once. I will go through everything on the new carb, before putting it on the car.
drolston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 01:40 PM   #43
TomT/Williamsburg

Check your PMs .....
TomT/Williamsburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 02:23 PM   #44
Tinker

Question on the throttle shafts for the new English 97's. Are they the same diameter and length as the originals? (Question pertains to installing the manual throttle hardware)
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 02:38 PM   #45
TomT/Williamsburg

Contact Uncle Max through a PM here to get the answer straight from the horses mouth. However, the English 97s should be the same dimensionally in every way fromt he originals .....
TomT/Williamsburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 03:17 PM   #46
rod father 1944

I used two new 97s from speedway on my 49 Merc and spent two months trying to get it to run right. Finally gave up and sent them back. I then installed new english ones from Summit and they ran fine right out of the box. It has been 2 years now and no trouble at all.
rod father 1944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 04:58 PM   #47
Tinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomT/Williamsburg View Post
Contact Uncle Max through a PM here to get the answer straight from the horses mouth. However, the English 97s should be the same dimensionally in every way fromt he originals .....
I'm sure your right about it, and I believe they are. I think the supers are the ones that have to be moded' heavily for the linkage.

I just thought asking here on the public thread was okay and might be more beneficial to others that are reading, instead of through private messages (PMs). I can ask privately.
Old 02-28-2017, 05:46 PM   #48
uncle max

Yes and yes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinker View Post
Question on the throttle shafts for the new English 97's. Are they the same diameter and length as the originals? (Question pertains to installing the manual throttle hardware)
uncle max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 06:16 PM   #49
tubman

Although they currently offer some questionable products, Speedway has done a lot of good over the years; I have used a bunch of their parts on my builds with great success. Sometimes, they are the only source. I think they are the victim of bad timing on this. If they had known the market as well as they should have (the proliferation of independent rebuilders and the introduction of the English 97), I don't believe they would even considered introducing this product.
tubman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 06:26 PM   #50
40 Deluxe

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubman View Post
Although they currently offer some questionable products, Speedway has done a lot of good over the years; I have used a bunch of their parts on my builds with great success. Sometimes, they are the only source. I think they are the victim of bad timing on this. If they had known the market as well as they should have (the proliferation of independent rebuilders and the introduction of the English 97), I don't believe they would even considered introducing this product.
Perhaps they spent too much time in China looking around for the best (cheapest) manufacturer and got exactly what they paid for! The Chinese can produce high quality product but US businessmen don't want that. They want CHEAP!!
40 Deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 06:35 PM   #51
Tinker

I've bought from speedway in the past and I'm sure I'll buy something in the future. It all comes down to researching what is the best quality product you can afford.

Speedway you either love them or hate them... but you always end up buying something from them.
Old 03-01-2017, 11:52 AM   #52
38bill

Pretty sure the new Stromberg 97's were out before Speedway came up with their version. As I remember it Speedway actually were calling their carb a 97 until they received a cease and desist orders due to trade name/mark infringement. Around 2000 Clive Prew posted here (actually the old Ford Barn) showing a resin 97 model and asked as to whether anyone would be interested in purchasing them if they went to market.

I had an issue with a stuck float. Apparently the first floats they used were made of Nitrophyl and they had some issues with them. I contacted Clive and he immediately sent me new brass floats, new gaskets, hardware and screws for both carbs at no cost to me. Pretty good customer service.
38bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 07:13 AM   #53

I was told by three vendors, that the Stromberg 97, the 9Super7 and the Edelbrock 94 were all made in China, but were assembled in the US.
1929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 07:46 AM   #54
weemark

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1929 View Post
I was told by three vendors, that the Stromberg 97, the 9Super7 and the Edelbrock 94 were all made in China, but were assembled in the US.

that is definitely not true. the new Stromberg 97s are assembled in England. ive been to the factory in England and watched them being put together with my own eyes and was given a little tour of the place.
weemark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 08:24 AM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by weemark View Post
that is definitely not true. the new Stromberg 97s are assembled in England. ive been to the factory in England and watched them being put together with my own eyes and was given a little tour of the place.
My mistake, I forgot to mention that the 97was assembled in England, but, is it true all are made in China?
Old 05-05-2018, 11:55 AM   #56
JM 35 Sedan

There was also a bad rumor floating around here that Dennis Carpenters 94's were being made in China, and that is also untrue. When we visited Carpenters facilities, a couple years ago, we saw the castings being machined, and the carbs going together on the assembly line. Then every carb went through an actual run-in on an 8ba engine. We even posted pictures of all of this, and some folks here still insisted they were being made in China.

"Never give up on what you really want to do. The person with big dreams is more powerful than one with all the facts". Albert Einstein
JM 35 Sedan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 07:54 PM   #57
Bored&Stroked

Does anybody know if Edelbrock produces their own 94's - or are they OEMed from another vendor (like Carpenter).?
Bored&Stroked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2018, 09:10 PM   #58

I spoke to a technician at Edelbrock yesterday, he said they will discontinue selling the 94 due to sluggish sales.
Old 05-05-2018, 10:26 PM   #59
Tinker

A follow up to my previous posts, I bought an English 97 and it's been good for a yr now. Thought I had an issue but with a little patience, I found my engine was running too cool. Needed to update to the current climate with some 160 temps and workout some sticky valves. Report back in another couple yrs.

We all buy stuff from china everyday. Check your labels if you care. I go with what works.

But I'm not going to buy meat or veggies that far away ever.

Last edited by Tinker; 05-05-2018 at 10:52 PM. Reason: shiz