Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 10-12-2018, 05:43 AM   #1
Jacksonlll

Send a message via ICQ to Jacksonlll
Default A Model A Thinking out Loud.

A Model A's Thoughts

I was just thinking, when I was born, it was a big deal. I was loved by everyone. The country went wild over the new Ford. Henry couldn't build enough of us. We had a good production run of about 4 years. Back then, cars had trouble getting up the hills. Not us, we would just motor right up those hills. Sure, we were not big and expensive as the other cars on the road, but we could keep up with most of them and a lot of nice people could afford us. As cars were back then, we were quite civilized. We could keep you dry, warm, and out of the dust and wind. We were fairly comfortable. We were so proud to be a real automobile with a fine engine, transmission and good brakes. We were complete. And we were good and the people recognized it and wanted us. Shoot, they still want us.
It was a little embarrassing at a stop light when one of those big expensive cars would pull up next to me. It was quite a contrast. They were so big and long, with their giant engine rumbling and the driver with his nose up in the air. Made me feel pretty small. But, you know what? I'm still here and those guys are long gone. At least they are pretty much gone from the roads. They are still big and pretty, but they are sitting in a museum and I am on the road. Heck, there weren't many of them to start with. We were the high volume cars. We don't do so well in a museum. Sitting next to that fancy iron is not fun. We can't compete with them on the floor. We have to be driven to be appreciated and understood.
We have had many owners over the years, spent a lot of time off the road in barns and fields, but a lot of us are still here. Trying to figure out why we are still around is not too tough. Henry built us to last.
I think our rear axle has a lot to do with it. We have a floating axle shaft that does not carry the weight of the car, it just drives the rear wheels. It is almost bullet proof. Other cars of the time did not do it this way. That may be why there are not many old Chevy's still around. Also, that front axle that Henry gave us will last forever. Our little engines just keep going. How long will we keep going? Good question. We are all painted and kept under cover now, so we are not going to rust out. We won't fall apart. We have had over 85 years to do that and it hasn't happened. Whatever was going to break already has, many times, and everyone knows how to fix us. We are a simple piece of machinery, just a notch up from a farm implement. The weaknesses that we do have don't amount to much. Sure, my front fenders crack in that highly stressed area, but so what. With all the good roads I stay on, it takes a lot of mileage to crack them. There are fixes for that if it bothers you. My two point body mount is not the best, but it takes a lot to tip me over. Just get used to a little lean in those four doors. That fan connection onto the nose of my water pump is not too good, but if you get the two tapers matching, it will be okay for a long time. My upper bushing in my distributor that Henry forgot to lube has caused a lot of rough running engines, but that fix is easy and most owners have that under control. You can even buy the parts to fix it. To fix my steering or stop my shimmy, you have to talk to an old timer who knows how to do it.
That reminds me, you current owners/mechanics have to get some young blood involved in fixing us. We don't want your knowledge to be lost. Pass the know-how down so we don't have to worry down the road. Show those Kids and Grand Kids how to fix us. We will need them.
I forgot to mention my horn. We have the best sounding horn of all time. A few other cars back then had a similar sounding horn; they were so few, no one remembers them. Our Ahooga horn is so good that an A owner can't have an A without a good working horn. We are just not the same without our horn. Yes, we need oil every now and then, but that is no big deal.
As I said, we have done a lot of waiting. We are good at waiting for you. We can sit in a barn for 20 or 30 years and we don't mind at all. A few critters may call us home for a while, and our tires may go flat, but with a little attention, and an hour or so, we are running again. This has been documented many times over the years. We don't die easy. Just give us a chance and we will impress you. We have even waited long enough for a tree to grow up through our roof and still come back to life. So, if you want to let us sit until that Grand Kid is old enough to play with us, we will wait. Like I said, we are good at it.
Most of us have been fixed up to various degrees from show cars to good old drivers, and we are a pretty big part of many families. We go to weddings, funerals, retirement homes, parties, meets, and I think we have been to every eating place on earth. Our owners sure like to eat. Our seat springs can tell you all about it. The neat tours that you take us on are fun. The club I'm in now seems to go everywhere. We pick blueberries, apples, strawberries, go down deep into the Amish country, go on color tours, economy runs, and just about anywhere so we can get driven. I've even been on a big ferry boat all the way across Lake Michigan. It's funny, the Amish people down in Holmes county, Ohio seem to relate to us. They love to see our caravan drive by. The Amish buggy must be a distant relative of mine. We sure like each other.
Now I must mention something that bothers me. There are a lot of owners out there who don't drive us enough. I don't know why. If they just can't afford us, that's okay, we can wait. If they would just get us running good, we could take them anywhere with good reliability. My owner always says that I could take him to Chicago at the turn of my key. That would be easy. I run good.
I find that if we belong to a car club, we seem to run better. A lot of good mechanics in those clubs, and they love to work on us and get us running like sewing machines. I like taking a ride by myself, but it is really neat to have eight to twelve of us going down the road together. Going around a curve on a country road is something. What's fun is when one of us has a little problem and everyone stops and gathers around while the mechanics swarm all over the car until she is fixed. When this happens, we get to make U turns, back up a few times and work our way back to where the problem is. My club calls this a Chinese Fire Drill. It's fun.
I must mention, with modesty, how good looking we are. Our side view stance is a thing of beauty. I have some friends who are Roadsters. That is a good looking car, with the top up or down. And you know what? They will look good 100 years from now. You just watch! How about that Coupe with the Rumble? Is anything sweeter?
Now what happens next? I'm sure I will have many new owners in the future. And speaking of the future, what will that bring for me and for my relatives? I don't see anything physical that will put us in the junk yard. I don't see the part's supply drying up. We are such a basic, easy to work on car, that I think there will always be someone who likes us and wants us. I hope the Government doesn't figure out a way to stop us. Maybe we will be running around the roads of the future 100 years from now.
The clubs keep having anniversary parties and I'm sure we will have many more. They keep taking pictures of us, but they don't seem to realize that they could just use the pictures of years past. We don't change. Our owners do.
It's fun being a Model A and I hope you people continue to be nice to us. We sure do enjoy giving those Grand Kids rides. We live for that, and we are good at it.

AHOOGA

My owner, Jack Bahm, helped me get this on paper.
Jacksonlll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 05:58 AM   #2
Dan/Kzo

Default Re: A Model A Thinking out Loud.

A fun read over a morning cup of coffee. Thanks Jack
Dan/Kzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 07:19 AM   #3
russcochiolo

Thanks Jack for starting my day with this positive read. My A keeps me grounded.
russcochiolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 07:29 AM   #4
WHN

This was fun to read.

I really do think they talk to us. Enjoy.
WHN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 07:37 AM   #5
updraught

" I hope the Government doesn't figure out a way to stop us. Maybe we will be running around the roads of the future 100 years from now."

France has recently changed the speed limit on rural two lane roads to 80 kph (about 50mph).
Should make older vehicles more acceptable.
updraught is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 04:23 AM   #6
Bruce of MN

Quote:
Originally Posted by updraught View Post
" I hope the Government doesn't figure out a way to stop us. Maybe we will be running around the roads of the future 100 years from now."

France has recently changed the speed limit on rural two lane roads to 80 kph (about 50mph).
Hah, I was on two lane roads in east Texas this year and the limit was 75 mph!
Bruce of MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 06:37 PM   #7
Jeff/Illinois

Quote:
Originally Posted by updraught View Post

They need to do that here. It doesn't hurt a thing. Hats off to France on that move.

In '74 Nixon lowered the speed limits and businesses were closed on Sundays like they should be, to help save fuel. Didn't last long enough. That was a very relaxing time, we need to go back to that.
Jeff/Illinois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 12:36 AM   #8
Tom Wesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff/Illinois View Post
They need to do that here. It doesn't hurt a thing. Hats off to France on that move.

In '74 Nixon lowered the speed limits and businesses were closed on Sundays like they should be, to help save fuel. Didn't last long enough. That was a very relaxing time, we need to go back to that.
Right on! That 55 MPH speed limit sure made driving a lot more pleasurable. Today the roads are filled with speeders, tailgaters, and distracted drivers, and it sucks just being around them.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 09:00 AM   #9
Jim M

You made my day. Was just getting ready to go over to my 29 Roadster but always check the morning posts before I leave the house. I just went through a battle with my distributor but all is well and you are sooooo correct. Our local club is a wonderful resource for knowledge, help, and friendship. Gotta go oil my horn and take her for a spin!
Jim M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 10:31 AM   #10
rfitzpatrick

Chinese Fire Drill !! Gotta love it--
rfitzpatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 11:42 AM   #11
FordTudor1931

Thank you Jack for taking the time to write down the story from your Model A. There is no doubt that they do talk to us, all we have to do is to listen. What a great read!
FordTudor1931 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 04:08 PM   #12
Synchro909

As others have said, a great read. Apart from my Model As, I own a high value car which looks VERY impressive and cruises at 60mph all day. I have one of those and nearly 4 Model As. I figure that I'm a bit like Henry - I prefer high volume cars over high value cars.
Old 10-13-2018, 11:00 AM   #13
40 Deluxe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synchro909 View Post
As others have said, a great read. Apart from my Model As, I own a high value car which looks VERY impressive and cruises at 60mph all day. I have one of those and nearly 4 Model As. I figure that I'm a bit like Henry - I prefer high volume cars over high value cars.
Yet, when Henry went south for the winter he rode in a Lincoln!
40 Deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 09:07 PM   #14
holdover

Jack, nice Job! My 7 & 11 yr old Grand Kids love the As like I do, tomorrow I'll have the 11 yr old read this to the 7 yr old..
holdover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 11:03 AM   #15
40 Deluxe

Quote:
Originally Posted by holdover View Post
Jack, nice Job! My 7 & 11 yr old Grand Kids love the As like I do, tomorrow I'll have the 11 yr old read this to the 7 yr old..

Wait! Shouldn't the 7 year old be able to read it on his own (with a little help on some tough words)??!
Old 10-13-2018, 08:21 AM   #16
Corley

Dear AHOOGA,

I am sorry to be a downer on your fine biography, and all the hard work you put into writing it, fine job by the way, but there is a technical issue which your mother, the model T, may have misinformed you about. It's that rear axle description, where you claim that your rear end is full floating. Now my own rear end is sagging rather badly, so I understand how the terminology might have gotten confused, but to be accurate, and not put the wrong information out there for some newer model A owners to latch onto, (they are such a clingy bunch), it is probably worth mentioning that your rear axle, just like mine, is not full floating. It is not even semi floating, as the axle shaft Carry's the full load of the car.

That is the bad news. The good news is that the rear xle is made so tough, that they rarely ever have a failure, so they are almost as good as a floating rear axle. I'm sure you would not want to fool any of those young tuner cars out there with their dead rear axle, so I figured you would not mind the very minor correction to your otherwise fine biography.

Elvira

PS. I was born in 1928, am an all black sweetheart, and looking for a nice man car boy friend like you seem to be, can we get together? Please send a picture first... Oh, and I never did have that chicken thingy hung on my rear bumper, so I am very reliable! Elvi
Corley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 10:32 AM   #17
GerryAllen

Thank you Jack, well written................
Gerry Birch Bay Wa
GerryAllen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 11:08 AM   #18
40 Deluxe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corley View Post
Dear AHOOGA,

I am sorry to be a downer on your fine biography, and all the hard work you put into writing it, fine job by the way, but there is a technical issue which your mother, the model T, may have misinformed you about. It's that rear axle description, where you claim that your rear end is full floating. Now my own rear end is sagging rather badly, so I understand how the terminology might have gotten confused, but to be accurate, and not put the wrong information out there for some newer model A owners to latch onto, (they are such a clingy bunch), it is probably worth mentioning that your rear axle, just like mine, is not full floating. It is not even semi floating, as the axle shaft Carry's the full load of the car.

That is the bad news. The good news is that the rear xle is made so tough, that they rarely ever have a failure, so they are almost as good as a floating rear axle. I'm sure you would not want to fool any of those young tuner cars out there with their dead rear axle, so I figured you would not mind the very minor correction to your otherwise fine biography.

Elvira

PS. I was born in 1928, am an all black sweetheart, and looking for a nice man car boy friend like you seem to be, can we get together? Please send a picture first... Oh, and I never did have that chicken thingy hung on my rear bumper, so I am very reliable! Elvi
Wait a minute! What is that roller bearing thingy in the rear hub for? If it does not carry the weight of the car, can I just leave it out?
Old 10-13-2018, 09:47 PM   #19
holdover

"Wait! Shouldn't the 7 year old be able to read it on his own (with a little help on some tough words)??!"

Well he could and can, but I didn't want this to take too long, as it was the 11 yr old groaned when he saw how long it was, but being the trooper he is, he motored through it...
holdover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 05:53 AM   #20
canadian
BANNED

Jack , that was a really nice Tribute to the Model A , enjoyed reading , thank you.
canadian is offline   Reply With Quote