Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-05-2020, 09:36 AM   #21
RalphM

Default Re: Flatheads,nature,time and effort

About ten years ago(maybe 15) I was in a junk yard with a lot of 40’s-60’s cars. They were selling what they could before the crusher came. I did pick up a 47 front clip and complete front axle. I turned down about ten flatheads lying in the dirt, like these. Glad I did, because I still have the front clip sitting right where I brought it home. Although I did use the lower pan off it, and I’m using the front axle on another car.

But hey, if you got the time, go for it!
RalphM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 09:16 AM   #22
David J

I am 7 miles from MN on US Hwy 8 and would be interested in any early ones [ non-vented ] . Yes these are a pain but I have gotten some nice cranks this way .
Quote:
Originally Posted by partsdawg View Post
I will begin by saying I am in no way a flathead expert.Not even half smart on them.
I ran across a guy who has 30 or more Ford/Mercury flatheads laying around his farmstead.Most are complete with transmissions.Some are from large trucks.There is also a large quantity of heads and iron intakes laying about.
These all have been laying on the ground and exposed to the Minnesota weather for years. I believe I can get them for scrap weight.
My question is this. Is it worth the time(2 hours one way to the property) and effort to gather all the parts up? I would prefer not to haul back everything just to scrap it.
Open to opinions.
David J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 09:35 AM   #23
philipswanson

If you are under 50 then it might be worth it. If not, walk away.
philipswanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 08:36 AM   #24
Automotive Stud

I'm 36 and I'd leave them there. I work full time, and cars take up most of my free time, and I don't have as much free time as I'd like. I'd rather spend the cash on a known good block then spend weeks going through a bunch of rusty junk and have nothing to show for it.
Automotive Stud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 08:54 AM   #25
Tim Ayers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Automotive Stud View Post
I'm 36 and I'd leave them there. I work full time, and cars take up most of my free time, and I don't have as much free time as I'd like. I'd rather spend the cash on a known good block then spend weeks going through a bunch of rusty junk and have nothing to show for it.
Years of heavy rusting like that are not your friend when trying to tear down blocks. If you had a giant tank of diesel or kerosene you could soak them for a long time, maybe...

Even with that, its still a huge maybe. Sad to see that stuff go to waste.
Tim Ayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 09:05 AM   #26
Automotive Stud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Ayers View Post
Years of heavy rusting like that are not your friend when trying to tear down blocks. If you had a giant tank of diesel or kerosene you could soak them for a long time, maybe...

Even with that, its still a huge maybe. Sad to see that stuff go to waste.
Yep, it's a shame, but that stuff went to waste the day someone left it outside in the dirt.
Automotive Stud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 01:49 PM   #27
markdtn

I like the adventure. I would want to pay at least slightly less than scrap. But if you can do it in 1 trip or maybe 2 and have a decent way to process them then it sounds like fun to me. Even 2-3 good blocks could make it worthwhile. Manual transmission parts have some value too. How to load them? Do you have a tractor and boom to use? Long flatbed? Means to tie down? If you can't load them relatively fast it will become a pain quickly.
markdtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 09:15 AM   #28
fordwife

I'm over 80 and would come and get them all if I were closer. I have yet to find engines in this condition that did not have some parts I could use.
fordwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 03:21 PM   #29
marko39

I took apart an engine that sat outside for years. Had to cut every valve out of it. The only part that was good was the crank which only need to be turned .010. It was a Merc. I think I paid like 150.00 for it with a shitload of parts including 2 trannys. Mark
marko39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 10:01 PM   #30
GB SISSON

You gotta admit that's a rare occurance. If it wasn't a merc crank it would not have been worthwhile.
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1946 Tonner Pickup with 226 H six, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, now wearing 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2020, 12:20 AM   #31
flatheadmurre

I know a junkyard up in Southdakota where the owner put all the engines he pulled right on the grass but upside down...he told me if the pan is good they will be ok for a long time that way...but it shure hurts looking at rows of vintage engines sitting out in the field upside down...lol
And all the engines i dragged home has been surprisingly good for field finds...so maybe he is onto something...
flatheadmurre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2020, 12:24 AM   #32
Tinker

ain't making any more early fords.
Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote