Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-26-2021, 11:50 PM   #1
Racur96

Default Headlight bulbs

Hi everyone. Has anyone used the logo lites brand led headlight bulbs ? I do as much night driving as daytime & a lot is on back country roads. My 29 ccpu has a stock 6v gen. Wondering about the brightness & the lifespan. Want a good headlight but not the sealed beam or halogen. The led draws less amps than stock cp bulbs & seem to be much brighter in the ads . Thanks
Racur96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 01:00 AM   #2
Synchro909

Default Re: Headlight bulbs

There are many brands of LED headlight globes that will fit the Model A but I don't think Logo lites (spelling?) are the best of them.. I'm sure others will chime in with their thoughts.
Old 02-27-2021, 07:58 AM   #3
ericr

hasn't the general response been that such bulbs do emit far more light but were not designed to be focused like original?
ericr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 08:48 AM   #4
old31

Do a search on logo or led lights you will find a ton of stuff.

Eric is 100% correct.

I have the logo's, they are about as bright as a 30/50 bulb, use virtually no current, produce a very white light, cant be focused. I use them as day driving lights as well as occasional night lights.
old31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 10:27 AM   #5
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericr View Post
hasn't the general response been that such bulbs do emit far more light but were not designed to be focused like original?

Yes, Eric is correct however just so we are clear, this mindset has been stated over and over by the unknowing as being a detriment to using LEDs. The LEDs are an advantage, -not a disadvantage IMO. About the only way I know to describe this reoccurring 'can't focus' complaint is to make the same analogy that someone might say about an AR machine gun can't hit a target because it doesn't have a scope mounted on it something like a Ruger rifle would. An LED bulb has many diodes emitting sources light whereas the incandescent bulb only has the one filament emitting a source of light. If you only have a single source of light, you need to focus it.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 10:57 AM   #6
alexiskai

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRENT in 10-uh-C View Post
An LED bulb has many diodes emitting sources light whereas the incandescent bulb only has the one filament emitting a source of light. If you only have a single source of light, you need to focus it.
You still need to position the bulb within the reflector, and point it so that it doesn't blind oncoming traffic, but you have to do that with any light.
alexiskai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 11:59 AM   #7
Conaway2

LEDlight.com has LED headlights for the Model A also - I have tried these, as well as LogoLites. Both put out a lot of light and make a big difference in night driving, and both use two rows of LEDs.

LogoLites uses the upper row on low beam and both rows on high beam. LEDlight uses half of the LEDs on both rows for low beam and all LEDs for high beam.

However, I prefer the LEDlight headlights

they are also offered in bright white and warm white, which look a lot like incandescent bulbs.
Jim
Conaway2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 12:31 PM   #8
alexiskai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conaway2 View Post
However, I prefer the LEDlight headlights

they are also offered in bright white and warm white, which look a lot like incandescent bulbs.
Jim
These?
https://www.ledlight.com/a-13007-d-a...ve-ground.aspx
Old 02-27-2021, 02:11 PM   #9
Racur96

I’ll check them out . I would think the same as Brent on the focusing from other led stuff I’ve had . They are typically not focused because of design but if they put out the light as y’all are saying I’ll be super happy . If the led light link Alex posted is correct they are much cheaper than logo lites .
Old 02-27-2021, 04:03 PM   #10
Synchro909

It seems to me that all you guys who are extolling the virtues of LED headlights are doing so from the driver's seat. IMO, they are dead-set dangerous from the point of view of an oncoming motorist or the guy in front who has them shining in his eyes from the rear vision mirror. The glare from them (because they are so bright and can't be focussed) is terrible. I ask each of those people who like them to reflect on their reaction to a motorist who does not dip their headlights as they approach. I can do without the aggravation.
Old 02-27-2021, 05:03 PM   #11
alexiskai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synchro909 View Post
MO, they are dead-set dangerous from the point of view of an oncoming motorist or the guy in front who has them shining in his eyes from the rear vision mirror. The glare from them (because they are so bright and can't be focussed) is terrible.
Isn't the solution... to point the headlights down? I think a lot of them get off-axis, but it doesn't matter because the stock lights aren't that bright. And then folks swap over to LEDs but forget to correct the orientation.
Old 02-27-2021, 05:06 PM   #12
Keith True

You don't focus them,but you DO have to aim them.Not the same thing.Here they're riding the inspection stations pretty hard on using the aiming machine.The garages that I know of are using the machine made by Symtech.They have found the $1000.machine isn't great,but the $1300.one works well.It's pretty interesting to watch.You set the machine in front of the car,and adjust it so it picks up some reference points to go by.The guys I watch use the tops of the wheel rims to establish a level.Once all the levels,heights and distances are established you can aim the lights.It would take pages to explain,but the Symtech manuals are online and explain how they work.You really can NOT aim LED lights at the wall and adjust them.The machine sees those blinding concentrations of light that won't show up on a wall.You can change the aim of the headlights without seeing any change by eye standing there,but you can see the shape of the light being thrown in the machine.
Keith True is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 10:34 PM   #13
Conaway2

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexiskai View Post
No - these —>
https://www.ledlight.com/led-headlig...polarized.aspx
Old 02-27-2021, 10:51 PM   #14
Racur96

Conaway2 are you on a 6v system with generator ? Those don’t pull to much for stock system ? My old sealed beams would boil battery in day & charge just enough at night with lights on .
Old 02-27-2021, 11:13 PM   #15
Conaway2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racur96 View Post
Conaway2 are you on a 6v system with generator ? Those don’t pull to much for stock system ? My old sealed beams would boil battery in day & charge just enough at night with lights on .
Raur96 - the electrical system is stock 6 volt positive ground. The LED headlights draw 2-3 amps current on high beam, which the generator easily supplies. I also have installed a Fun Projects 6V positive ground electronic voltage regulator, which keeps the system from overcharging the battery. I have the generator charging rate set to 8 amps, and all works very well.

I am very happy with this arrangement.

Jim
Old 02-28-2021, 10:20 AM   #16
Big hammer

Quote:
It seems to me that all you guys who are extolling the virtues of LED headlights are doing so from the driver's seat. IMO, they are dead-set dangerous from the point of view of an oncoming motorist or the guy in front who has them shining in his eyes from the rear vision mirror. The glare from them (because they are so bright and can't be focussed) is terrible. I ask each of those people who like them to reflect on their reaction to a motorist who does not dip their headlights as they approach. I can do without the aggravation.
I agree with those #€£¥ modern auto's with blinding head lights!!! Some when they are behind you it seams to have a flat spot when they bounce a little it's like a strobe light !! And the new Ford trucks with 4, 4 lamps on low beam put a little weight in the bed or towing a trailer, WTH Ford ! One late night coming home from working double shift a big truck had extra bar lights one at the bumper one above the windshield blinding the wildlife. Just SLOW DOWN !!!!
What happened to the night time speed limit law 10 mph less than the day time
Old 02-28-2021, 10:38 AM   #17
KGBnut

For those of you that do like LED headlights, do you have the White 6000k or the Warm White 3000k. I really don't like lights that are on the edge of blue, but Warm White doesn't always give the visibility that I want. That has certainly been my experience on my motorcycles.

I respect Synchro's concern about blinding oncoming traffic, and I think that would be especially true with 6000k lights.

I'm looking at these ones that Conaway mentioned above:
BA15D LED Headlight 5 To 30 Volt Dual Filament Non Polarized

Ken
Old 02-28-2021, 12:46 PM   #18
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexiskai View Post
Isn't the solution... to point the headlights down? I think a lot of them get off-axis, but it doesn't matter because the stock lights aren't that bright. And then folks swap over to LEDs but forget to correct the orientation.
The same can be said with any non-aimed Model-A headlamp fitted with an incandescent or a halogen bulb. Just because someone has a 'mis-aimed' motorcycle, jacked-up 4x4, -or other type LED headlight does not make all of these LED bulb installations bad! People tend to believe what seems believable however they generally speak their opinion here and on social media without any first-hand knowledge yet they freely recite an opinion based on something they read). Technology and fitment of the direct-retrofit LED bulbs has advanced tremendously over the last 5+ years. Even citing personal experiences from LED bulb usage 5 years ago would not be the same outcome as LED bulb usage today.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 07:34 PM   #19
ericr

someone mentioned this but it sailed by me: what is the blinding bluish-white headlight, I usually associate them with European motoring machines but that might not be accurate.
there is really no good solution to them. If behind me, I usually slow down to a speed where they tailgate me, at that point the blinding light is no longer reflected in my mirrors.
ericr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 05:55 PM   #20
KGBnut

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericr View Post
someone mentioned this but it sailed by me: what is the blinding bluish-white headlight, I usually associate them with European motoring machines but that might not be accurate.
there is really no good solution to them. If behind me, I usually slow down to a speed where they tailgate me, at that point the blinding light is no longer reflected in my mirrors.
That's what I was asking about. It comes down to color temperature. There are actually laws that govern what can be used on the road. A lot of those blue bulbs are sold as "for off road use only."

The chart on this webpage may help:
https://www.xenonpro.com/hid-xenon-t...eadlight-guide

Blue is considered "cool" and yellow is "warm." Those bulbs that are so white that they lean blue really do help you see, but they blind the other drivers. I want a nice bright bulb that is neither too cool, nor too warm, but give a good view of the road in my old 6 volt car.

Ken