Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 04-04-2017, 03:02 PM   #1
Onlybackroads

Default Trouble getting spark after trying many things...

Hey folks, getting real close to firing up my car, but I can't get spark at all. Here is my situation:

Before the accident, I re-wired my entire car. The car then sat for two and a half years post accident. I just picked up a spare chassis with an engine that supposedly runs. So far I have swapped everything over, including my wiring harness which still looked almost new, no abrasions from the accident, no loose terminals. My starter works, horn works, dash light works, haven't hooked the lights up yet but that wouldn't matter in my case. Here is what I've tried so far to get spark: distributor that came with new chassis, my old distributor with two different condensers (one brand new,) 3 different coils, cleaned both sets of points on each distributor, set timing and gap, tried running wiring harness as-is and also bypassed all switches and fuses to hardwire, two different ammeters, cleaned my grounds, different spark plugs, different rotors, different cap and body, what is going on?!? Sorry for the lengthy post but I am just about falling over in a puzzled stupor. Anything obvious I should try? The popout cable has continuity and isn't grounding out either, which was the case when I first got the car (so I then replaced.) Thanks for any insight, I am so close to starting my car after so long...

My website for custom motorbikes, styled after turn of the century motorcycles and boardtrack racers:
http://flyingfeetautocycles.wordpress.com
Onlybackroads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 03:41 PM   #2
Art Newland

Default Re: Trouble getting spark after trying many things...

I guess first you need to see if you have voltage to the points, put a little piece of paper between the points, turn everything on and check for voltage between ground and the movable part of the points.
Art Newland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 03:53 PM   #3
Onlybackroads

Okay everyone I got it fired! I tried so many different parts in so many combinations but finally nailed it down to the coil. I must have fixed something after I tried the new coil. Phew! I was getting pretty hopeless there but it feels great to hear that old Model A sound again. I wish I knew exactly what was wrong though, was trying to avoid the "shotgun" method but at least it's working!

My website for custom motorbikes, styled after turn of the century motorcycles and boardtrack racers:
http://flyingfeetautocycles.wordpress.com
Onlybackroads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 04:07 PM   #4
wmws
BANNED

Sure glad you got you car running again. After all you have been through with the accident and all it must be good to hear her running again.
wmws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 02:34 PM   #5
captndan

Have you put in more gas since the accident? Perhaps you had spark proof gas before.
captndan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 05:49 PM   #6
Dutie

spark proof gas....
Dutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 06:16 PM   #7
JtownJoe

Probably a new government mandate, reduces emissions To a zero carbon footprint, like Al Gore.
JtownJoe is offline   Reply With Quote