Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 05-04-2016, 04:59 PM   #21
Capt Quahog

Location: Barren windswept mountain somewhere in bleak Northeastern Pennsylvania
Default Re: electronic ignition

Noted on some WEB site that they were selling retro-fit "electronic ignition" setups for Model A Ford cars. The price was a couple of hundred or so bucks.

My first is question is . . . Why?

Points are cheap and easy to swap out when needed. Also too, when the evil miscreants from the failed rump state of Dogcrappastan detonate that electro-pulse weapon within a couple of thousand miles, our crude 64' Dodge Dart, 85' Diesel Mercedes and 31' Ford A model will just keep motoring on.
Capt Quahog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 05:18 PM   #22
1931 flamingo

Not if it's not working Bill ..................
Paul
1931 flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 10:27 PM   #23
Quigley1930

It runs!! We got it going and I was poking around to see what was going on when I touched the brass wing nut on the terminal box and it was HOT. Removed the cover and found the nut on the passenger side to be quite loose and the other one likewise. Tightened up everything and it starts every time. I'm hoping this will solve the problem. Thanks again everyone for all your help. He has other ptoblems but I know what they are. I left after his damn poodle chomped down on my hand and the blood was flying

Sewall
Quigley1930 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 03:43 AM   #24
Dollar Bill

Rex-A-Lot nailed it! "After you make sure its turning,make sure you're getting power to it, it could still be the switch or somewhere else other than the distributor itself. Good Luck."

Glad you found it Quigley.

For all electronic ignition haters: Na, na, na, na, na.
Old 05-11-2016, 07:29 AM   #25
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan View Post
The advantage of the power curve is what made me interested in the FS... it really does make a difference.
I am unclear on what you are saying here. Are you referring to the Zipper distributor, -or all FS Electronic ignition systems? I was unaware that a FS electronic ignition system in a Model-A distributer had a power curve controlled by the electronic ignition. What am I missing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BILL WILLIAMSON View Post
The BIG advantage of electronic ignition is that it helps the plugs to burn CLEANER!
Bill W.
Bill, that really is not a correct statement. All the FS electronic ignition systems do in a Model-A application is control when the coil fires. The intensity of the spark is controlled by the coil windings. In other words, a properly operating Kettering points ignition system with deliver the same 'spark' as what the electronic ignition will. Thus no advantage in that regard.

The advantage of the FS system came a decade or so ago when no one was reproducing a quality distributor cam. The electronic ignition could provide equal degree of spark triggering whereas the poor quality cams were all over the place with the lobe spacing causing erratic ignition timing and loss of power. Since that time, Bill Stipe began manufacturing a quality distributor cam that is very accurate on lobe location, ...and he changed the profile of the lobe to increase coil saturation time. There really is not any performance gain of one over the other in a Model-A application.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 08:21 AM   #26
pgerhardt

Where could one purchase a Stipe distributor cam? Do any of the venders carry it?
pgerhardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 09:08 AM   #27
Tom Wesenberg

I'm not sure if any dealers sell the Stipe cam, or if you have to buy it from Bill.

The distributor cams I bought from Bert's, Bratton's, Snyder's and Little Dearborn all checked out to be quality and accurate.
Tom Wesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote