Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 07-13-2019, 01:36 PM   #1
51woodie

Default Buzzer for Signal Lights

Others may have installed an indicating buzzer for their accessory signals, but I thought I would add my information. At 70 years, my ears don't work so good, and I couldn't hear that little click from the #535 flasher unit over the thundering roar of the stock single exhaust in my '46 coupe. I have a United Pacific 5007R signal switch with a #535 flasher unit. I purchased a 6V DC mini buzzer from Radio Shack (P/N RSH2730793) for $4.95.) I connected the black lead to the #7 blue lead to the flasher, and the red lead to ground. (running 6V + ground) Works so well I had to put a piece of tape over the unit to quiet it down a bit. So, no more will the old guy confuse other drivers as I have in the past, as they wait for me to turn! My Grandson's driving Instructor asked him what it means when an approaching vehicle has the right signal on. He replied, "it means the signal light works". Learned that from Grandpa.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Signal Light Diagram.jpg (31.6 KB, 78 views)
File Type: jpg 6V Buzzer.jpg (27.2 KB, 64 views)
51woodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 01:42 PM   #2
19Fordy

Default Re: Buzzer for Signal Lights

Great idea. I did the same thing years ago. What a difference, especially if you have dual exhaust.
19Fordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 01:50 PM   #3
Mart

I have buzzers on all my V8s. I used the 3 pin flasher units and wired the buzzer to the terminal marked P for Panel. That is normally the light on the dash that shows when the flashers are on.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 03:14 PM   #4
Graeme / New Zealand

I have a flasher unit only. Its a tridon LL535 6v and I mounted it behind the speaker cover in the dash it's bloody loud enough there and my ears are aging too.

GB

"You're a long time looking at the lid"
Graeme / New Zealand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 06:49 PM   #5
corvette8n

Did the same thing with this 99 cent buzzer from eBay, had to put a piece of tape over it also, works on 6-24 volts.
Search for piezo buzzer got the one direct from China took about 10 days to get it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (34.3 KB, 4 views)
corvette8n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 10:31 AM   #6
Lawson Cox

Those "buzzers" are terribly loud and annoying. I do not have loud exhausts as they turn me off big time. Anyone know of a "clicker" sounding device?

It is better to be seen, than viewed.

"We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm".
Lawson Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 11:22 AM   #7
JimG

I installed a Radio Shack buzzer by soldering the red wire to the X terminal and black wire to the L terminal on my 3 pin flasher. I saw many people on these threads complain about how loud their buzzers were, so I made sure I bought the quietest one I could. The one I bought is a 76 dB Piezo Buzzer. I see they also have 85 and 100 dB buzzers. Those might be what others used. I am pleased with the 76 dB one. It is loud enough that you hear it under the dash and want to turn it off but not so obnoxious it bothers you. I velcroed the buzzer to the top of the flasher can.

After I bought it I found this thread that says that Mac's has a flasher with buzzer integrated for both 6 and 12 V systems. I see on-line they are still available. I probably would have purchased that if I had known about it, but they are fairly costly. They were $27 for the 12 V and over $30 for the 6V.
JimG is offline   Reply With Quote