Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 01-06-2016, 03:17 PM   #1
deucevikki

Default McDonnell-Douglas Ford fenders question

Around 1980 I was building a deuce roadster and ran across an article in a car magazine (I think it was Rod Action), about a company called AFord that was making reproduction 1932 front fenders. I did some research, bought a pair of their front fenders and a fuel tank. The fenders and tank fit the roadster to perfection so I bought another set for a future project.

Now, after a few decades, I still have the fenders. I won't be using them because I want to rebuild an A wagon my kids grew up with. Can anyone give me an idea what these fenders might be worth? Might be a help for the woodie project.

Here are a couple of shots.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3230.jpg (88.4 KB, 131 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3233.jpg (103.0 KB, 100 views)
deucevikki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 03:37 PM   #2
deuce lover

Default Re: McDonnell-Douglas Ford fenders question

I bought a set in the late 90's for $1600.Don't know what they would go for now,maybe $2000?There is a guy in Texas looking for a set.Hope he sees your post.
deuce lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 05:59 PM   #3
Steve/IL

Nicer than Brookville 32 fenders. The McDonnell-Douglas fenders at least got the bead profile right!
Old 01-06-2016, 06:38 PM   #4
TJ

The last pair I saw had a listed price of $2500 , but don't know if they sold or not..
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 11:35 PM   #5
32 ford barn

There Is a set at the Early ford Store in San Dimas Ca. For $5000.00. I saw them. Could be sold by now.
32 ford barn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 12:29 PM   #6
JimOH

I bought a pair of '32 front fenders in 1996 from a restoration shop in PA and I was told he purchased them from a place in CA and they were stamped from the original Ford dies. He said they didn't use these fenders because they decided to go fender-less. If this is the same place, they didn't fit along the frame rail. When these were fitted using the original holes in the frame and running board there was a gap between the fender and the side of the frame. We had to cut the fender flange loose, move it in against the frame, then weld a slice of metal to fit the gap. I am not slinging mud and possibly these could be checked out and may fit perfectly. Maybe the fellow in PA sold me a tanted story and maybe I shouldn't have even mentioned it here. Too many maybes.
JimOH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 12:49 PM   #7
deuce lover

Jim,I'm glad you brought that up.I built a 32 tudor in the mid 90's.I used a new set of those fenders in my build.I had the same problem and also the bottom corner edge dropped below the frame rail by nearly an inch.I thought because I had a Deuce Factory frame that the problem was because of the repo frame.Also the outer edge of the fender where it meets the running board there was a gap at the bottom edge.Had to cut the fender there so we could pull it to meet the board.Had to fill that pie wedge opening with weld.The front lip where it meets the splash shield had to be massaged as they did not meet up as they should have.Lastly when you look at both fenders from the front side by side they don't match.The right is more pointed at the front curve .Just my observations.
Old 01-07-2016, 01:45 PM   #8
Krylon32

Maybe the fenders you speak about in the mid to late 90's were made by a company named (Funk) in Ohio. I used several sets of them in the 90's and early 2000's and had the same fit problems. I also used the fenders Dick Spadaro briefly produced and had almost no issues. I remember a fella in Nebraska building a 3 window in the mid 80's using A Ford fenders and they were excellent. Currently have used 3 sets of Brookville fronts and have the same side rail to fender gap issues plus running board to fender issues. Also had to modify the eye brows to match. Guess it's just to much work to make them right?

Last edited by Krylon32; 01-07-2016 at 03:46 PM.
Krylon32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 02:08 PM   #9
deucevikki

Thanks for all the input. I figured the guys on this forum could help fill in some blanks for me.

I've heard tales of reproduction fenders out of that time frame not fitting well, but I don't remember having much problem with my fenders. I certainly didn't have to do any cutting and welding. My frame was original and the running boards were repros (maybe Deuce Factory?) and maybe I wasn't as fussy as some folks. And, dang it, it looks like that was 35 years ago. Now I'm depressed.
Old 01-07-2016, 02:22 PM   #10
deuce lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krylon32 View Post
Maybe the fenders you speak about in the mid to late 90's were made by a company named (Funk) in Ohio. I used several sets of them in the 90's and early 2000's and had the same fit problems. I also used the fenders Dick Spadaro briefly produced and had almost no issues. I remember a fella in Nebraska building a 3 window in the mid 80's using A Ford fenders and they were excellent. Currently have used 3 sets of Brookville fronts and have the same side rail to fender gap issues plus running board to fender issues. Guess it's just to much work to make them right?
I got those fenders from Bill Norton of Valley Obsolete in North Hollywood and they were A Ford.I heard that the fenders from Dick Spadaro fit better then the right die got damaged and they couldn't get that fender right.I am to understand that the die's Brookfield currently has are from Vintique.
Old 01-07-2016, 02:35 PM   #11
Krylon32

Deuce Lover: My bad, I was referring to the fenders JimOH purchased in PA in the 90's as an observation. Those Funk fenders were being sold by a lot of shops about that time. Dick told me that his dies were damaged in a flood and after that everything went to hell. Brookville has been giving the impression theirs are their own fenders built in their dies. Who knows for sure????????????????????????????????????????
Krylon32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 03:40 PM   #12
Floyd

Brookville used "others" fenders for a while so they could offer a complete package. However the quality was poor and to keep their reputation they tooled up their own fenders about 10 years ago. It is their tooling, they built it,(kirksite) and they run it on the 1000 ton Clearing. I have seen it run. They have a vintage bead wire and roller machine from the 30's to do the beads. Cool to watch. Unfortunately, it does not form beads exactly like Henry did.
Just an opinion
Floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 03:43 PM   #13
Newc

Hi all; I am working for an estate and we found a pair of new 32 fenders [frnt] with a tag of $2300. They look goood but do not fit the frame rails in the 'tail' or drop to the running board. So they could be A Ford or maybe Funk or McDonald/Douglas???? Nr Portland Or Newc

Last edited by Newc; 01-07-2016 at 03:49 PM.
Newc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 03:51 PM   #14
deucevikki

Well, now I'm curious. I've got a 32 that the fenders have never been off. Let's see, after a dozen bolts or so we'll just see how they fit.

Keep you posted.
Old 01-17-2016, 04:34 PM   #15
deucevikki

I just spent a couple hours checking the fit of the McDonnell/Douglas driver's side fender on my original '32. I was happy to find that my memory still served me on how they fit. Some of the holes might require a little trimming, but I think this is fender fits pretty good. I just stuck the original bolts in the holes to show they fit.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3250.jpg (34.3 KB, 122 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3252.jpg (36.1 KB, 117 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3254.jpg (61.2 KB, 111 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3255.jpg (51.1 KB, 112 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3256.jpg (59.9 KB, 109 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3234.jpg (69.3 KB, 111 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3235.jpg (65.0 KB, 102 views)
Old 01-17-2016, 09:06 PM   #16
DavidG

Dick Spadaro first alerted me to the fact the curvatures of '32 front fenders do not match along their front edge and did not match when new. After looking at dozens of fenders, early or late, early takeoffs or NOS, I concluded that he was correct. Look at the fenders on the cover of the V8 Club's '32 book, which is the cover of the November, 1932 issue of "Ford News". That photo was a head-on shot of a late deluxe coupe taken at the gate on Village Drive in Dearborn. Both fenders are the late, narrow-flange version. The curvatures of those fenders do not match.
DavidG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 10:04 AM   #17
V8COOPMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidG View Post
Dick Spadaro first alerted me to the fact the curvatures of '32 front fenders do not match along their front edge and did not match when new. After looking at dozens of fenders, early or late, early takeoffs or NOS, I concluded that he was correct. Look at the fenders on the cover of the V8 Club's '32 book, which is the cover of the November, 1932 issue of "Ford News". That photo was a head-on shot of a late deluxe coupe taken at the gate on Village Drive in Dearborn. Both fenders are the late, narrow-flange version. The curvatures of those fenders do not match.
David.....Could you possibly post that picture for those of us ill-equipped? Thanks! DD

'35-'36 W/8BA & MECHANICAL FAN

T5 W/TORQUE TUBE
V8COOPMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 11:07 AM   #18
Karl Wescott

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidG View Post
The shape mismatch continued through 1933 and 1934 both on cars and pickups.
Karl Wescott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 11:58 AM   #19
ReggieK

Pobody is nerfect!
ReggieK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 12:46 PM   #20
Bored&Stroked

Well heck, now I'm going to have to go out and take a close look at my 32 Fenders - they are mint and I just gotta see this for myself! Thanks gang!
Bored&Stroked is offline   Reply With Quote