Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 12-16-2012, 01:08 PM   #1
jfcrash

Default Car Cover Help

I am looking for recommendations on which of Calf Car Cover fabric type/model you might have found to be relatively easy to handle when covering a cloth type convertible top.

Mine is a 4dr Phaeton and I am guessing could be a job pulling the wrong fabric type cover over a large cloth top as opposed to a canvas top.

My need is for indoors but open to an indoor or outdoor fabric that has worked for you.

Thank You, Jim

I couldn't repair the brakes, so I adjusted the horn louder....
jfcrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 09:02 PM   #2
Pat/Ohio

Default Re: Car Cover Help

Jim, I just purchased a car cover from California Car Cover Co. Like you, I am going to use my cover mostly indoors to protect it from dust etc. Because your top is cloth, you will need to purchase a material that will "slide" across your top while installing. Also, you will need to think about any lint that might stick your top from the cover, especially if you have a black cloth top. I chose a cotton cover that wasn't the flannel lined material to help with both conditions. Mr car is a '40 Ford Convertible with a black cloth top.

Another thing to think about is your mirrors. If you have stock mirrors, be certain that you let them know it. They asked me if my car was stock or modified. I told them that it was stock. When I received my cover...they didn't make provisions for my stock original mirrors. When I contacted them about it, they told me most people remove those stock mirriors. Why then did they ask me if my car was stock or modified? Go figure! Anyway, they sent a return shipping label for me to return the cover for "repairs." I just received it back a few days ago...fits fine now.

Good luck, Pat
Pat/Ohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 10:20 PM   #3
TJ

Just for info if you want the Early Ford V-8 Club logo silk screened on each side of your cover, California Car covers can do it for you . There is a slight extra charge, but I have had it done on all my covers. The dark blue logo looks great on the grey cover. If you want it done talk with Steve Firestein at ext. 115.
TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 09:37 AM   #4
Langford

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfcrash View Post
I am looking for recommendations on which of Calf Car Cover fabric type/model you might have found to be relatively easy to handle when covering a cloth type convertible top.

Mine is a 4dr Phaeton and I am guessing could be a job pulling the wrong fabric type cover over a large cloth top as opposed to a canvas top.

My need is for indoors but open to an indoor or outdoor fabric that has worked for you.

Thank You, Jim
I don't know anything about Car Calf cover. But I do own a Covercraft car cover. I purchased it at CoverQuest.com. i absolutely love my cover.
Langford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 10:22 AM   #5
jfcrash

Thank each of you for your comments,

I just got my car back from the upholstery shop Friday and tried to cover the top with an old cotton-flannel type bed sheet which got me looking for guidance on which of CCC's 14 different car cover fabrics would work best on a convertible top car.

Pat, is your cover their indoor 'Soft Weave' cover ?

Thank You, Jim

Old 12-17-2012, 10:46 AM   #6
4D-4EVR MAN

Jim,
I have a indoor soft weave cover on mine, but I bought one of those cheep plastic throw away covers like a body shop uses, and put it on first. They seem to be a little longer at the sides and have elastic around the bottom for added protection. It makes putting the top cover on a little tricky by yourself but it works.
4D-4EVR MAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 04:44 PM   #7
Pat/Ohio

Jim, Yes...I purchased the "Softweave" cover. I have 2 or 3 of them for my cars.

4D-4EVR Man, I too purchased one of those lightweight plastic throw-away covers for mine. I plan on using it outdoors over the top of my cloth cover incase of rain. That's my plan anyway....we'll see how it goes!

Pat
Pat/Ohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 11:14 AM   #8
blucar

Through the years i have used several car covers, both for inside and outside use.. I recently purchased a "Noah" fabric cover from C.C.C. for my '39 conv. cpe... Overall I like the thickness of the "Noah" fabric... Better protection from scratch's, etc., people walking through the garage.. Also if the car is left outside, car show etc., I have better protection for the paint and top material..
I don't have any trouble installing the cover because I fold the cover from side to side in 1/4's before rolling it up.. I start rolling at the front, then when I install the cover I just have to remember to start at the trunk, unrolling to the front.
I am no different than most people, I like to save a buck every now and then... I can speak from experience, anytime I go for low price, buying a cover on line, etc., I regret it..
Old 12-18-2012, 01:36 PM   #9
V8 Bob

I bought a CCC Superweave for my roadster for all the reasons below. It easily slides over the top. A very high quality cover.

Superweave

Providing the premium in outdoor, all-weather storage protection; Superweave is our most UV resistant, water resistant and weather resistant cover. The versatile Superweave material features unsurpassed moisture, dust and pollutant protection. The encapsulation technology goes INSIDE the fabric, around the fibers, resulting in a silky smooth finish that glides over fine paint finishes. Superweave is also dust-proof so it will keep your vehicle clean whether it is stored indoors or out. It still remains exceptionally breathable, allowing moisture, condensation and heat to easily escape from under the cover. When rain hits the cover it simply runs right off and any moisture left on the cover will usually dry in about 10 minutes. Its unique lightweight design also enables it to fold up to 1/3 the size of your typical outdoor car cover (about the size of a sweatshirt or jacket), but does not take away from its ability to protect your automobile's finish. The material is also easy to care for because it is the only fabric that is washer and dryer safe. 4-year limited warranty. The Superweave can be ordered in one or two-tone color combinations. Available in Black, Bright Blue, Grey, Sky Blue, Green, Red, Taupe and Yellow.
V8 Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 02:06 PM   #10
31chevy

Quote:
Originally Posted by blucar View Post
Through the years i have used several car covers, both for inside and outside use.. I recently purchased a "Noah" fabric cover from C.C.C. for my '39 conv. cpe... Overall I like the thickness of the "Noah" fabric... Better protection from scratch's, etc., people walking through the garage.. Also if the car is left outside, car show etc., I have better protection for the paint and top material..
I don't have any trouble installing the cover because I fold the cover from side to side in 1/4's before rolling it up.. I start rolling at the front, then when I install the cover I just have to remember to start at the trunk, unrolling to the front.
I am no different than most people, I like to save a buck every now and then... I can speak from experience, anytime I go for low price, buying a cover on line, etc., I regret it..
I also have a Noah & am very pleased with it (about 10 years now)
Gary.
31chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 02:52 PM   #11
Ken Bull

Over the years for me its less costly and less damaging to forgo a cover on a garaged car and simply prerinse the dust off B/F washing the car. Works for me. But Im not working on other cars in the same garage either.
Ken Bull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 11:05 AM   #12
jfcrash

Thanks for all your helpfull responses....

Jim