Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Early V8 (1932-53)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 11-05-2011, 09:13 AM   #21
34coupe

Default Re: '35's Out of the Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfcrash View Post
Thanks for asking Gumpy, as well as for all those comments to the original post….

The fuel tank leak issue turned out to be a problem with the pipe threads inside the drain plug neck…not a leak as originally thought…

Before doing anything, over the next week, I drained and refilled the tank several times watching the leak slowly develop. I came to realize that the drain plug itself was only catching by a few threads before it was tight and was not traveling fully into the drain hole…the gas seemed to come from around the treads and then work its way up to the bottom of the tank… I chased the drain threads with a 3/8-18 NPT tap and the plug became fully engaged within the drain hole…problem solved…. this was a huge relief.

The reassembly activities on the Phaeton are slowing down as I am waiting to get into the upholstery shop, Nov/Dec, for seats and top installation, saving fenders, doors and the balance of the electrical,etc for when I get it back.

In the mean time, my Wife and I are getting ready to start a new winter Restoration project…..our 1960's Kitchen, I am told it’s going to be a floor up / wall to wall project,LOL

Thanks,Jim
glad you got the problem solved