Go Back   The Ford Barn > General Discussion > Model A (1928-31)

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)

Old 02-04-2021, 08:46 AM   #1
aermotor

Default wiring

While trouble shooting the ignition I am good to the ignition switch, can not get power to the distributor from the switch. I replaced the ignition switch and left it hanging by the wires and not touching the dash. Does the switch need to be mounted to the dash for a ground to get power to the distributor?

John
aermotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 08:58 AM   #2
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Default Re: wiring

Quote:
Originally Posted by aermotor View Post
While trouble shooting the ignition I am good to the ignition switch, can not get power to the distributor from the switch. I replaced the ignition switch and left it hanging by the wires and not touching the dash. Does the switch need to be mounted to the dash for a ground to get power to the distributor?

John
No

Let us know exactly which switch you have and we can likely tell you what is wrong inside the switch. It is likely the contacts inside are not connecting (touching) properly. On some switches, this can be repaired.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 09:09 AM   #3
aermotor

I have an aftermarket keyed switch. John
Old 02-04-2021, 10:42 AM   #4
Badpuppy

Armored wire connects from distributor points to switch, red wire from other side of switch to coil. You should be able to find the disconnect fairly easily by checking continuity along the path.

https://sacramentocapitolas.org/2017...iring-diagram/
Badpuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 11:38 AM   #5
Bob C

Remember the coil has power all the time and the ground path from the points
is through the ignition switch to the coil.
Bob C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2021, 08:56 AM   #6
johnbuckley

I find hotwring like this diagram very useful for locating any problems
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3. Hot wire.jpg (119.1 KB, 64 views)
johnbuckley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2021, 06:11 PM   #7
aermotor

The rest of story. I have a Mallory dizzy for the centrifugal advance. Spent a couple days tracing all wiring and still could only get occasional spark. Finally pulled dizzy as I was getting power to the distributor all the time but still only occasional spark at the points. Turns out that the stud to the inside of the dizzy goes through a plastic formed in place grommet and was close enough to the exhaust manifold to melt - allowing the stud to drop enough to touch the housing and causing a short. Got the stud back centered and JB welded in place. Next problem to keep it from melting again. The drive shaft for the Mallory is slotted in the center so I turned the dizzy housing 180 degrees to get the grommet away from the exhaust manifold. Next I swapped a couple plug wires to correspond to the proper cylinder to maintain the plug firing order. Lo and behold all this trouble worked, however I do have some pity on the next guy that tries to time the engine. After all this typing I wonder if anyone gives a rip.

John
Old 02-06-2021, 01:03 AM   #8
pbishop

YES, many of us do give a 'rip'. It is always an enjoyment to hear of unique and various solutions to Model A problems (especially when they have to do with adaptive set-ups. For the next guy, you might consider leaving a note under the seat explaining the special set-up of your car.

Thank you for the interesting story.
pbishop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2021, 02:03 PM   #9
shew01

Quote:
Originally Posted by aermotor View Post
The rest of story. I have a Mallory dizzy for the centrifugal advance. Spent a couple days tracing all wiring and still could only get occasional spark. Finally pulled dizzy as I was getting power to the distributor all the time but still only occasional spark at the points. Turns out that the stud to the inside of the dizzy goes through a plastic formed in place grommet and was close enough to the exhaust manifold to melt - allowing the stud to drop enough to touch the housing and causing a short. Got the stud back centered and JB welded in place. Next problem to keep it from melting again. The drive shaft for the Mallory is slotted in the center so I turned the dizzy housing 180 degrees to get the grommet away from the exhaust manifold. Next I swapped a couple plug wires to correspond to the proper cylinder to maintain the plug firing order. Lo and behold all this trouble worked, however I do have some pity on the next guy that tries to time the engine. After all this typing I wonder if anyone gives a rip.

John

That’s interesting and pretty ingenious. Good job! You might want to leave a note somewhere in the car (maybe the driver’s door pocket, if there is one) for the next owner. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
shew01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2021, 02:04 PM   #10
shew01

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbishop View Post
YES, many of us do give a 'rip'. It is always an enjoyment to hear of unique and various solutions to Model A problems (especially when they have to do with adaptive set-ups. For the next guy, you might consider leaving a note under the seat explaining the special set-up of your car.

Thank you for the interesting story.

Sorry, I didn’t see your post until now. Sounds like we are on the same page.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
shew01 is offline   Reply With Quote